Re: No second chance

  • Aaron
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 17, 2005
      Greetings!

      I hate to say this, because the founder of this Group, and a good
      online-friend of mine, chose to start his Operation in the Fall
      instead of Spring. However, I'll say it anyway....

      Yes, I do believe that starting the Rite at any other time is a
      shortcut, and should not be done. Not only is it a shortcut, but it
      also side-steps the very important Solar Magickal Timing that goes
      along with the Rite.

      Everything in Abramelin is based on the course of the Sun. You begin
      on the Spring Equinox (when the Sun takes the "Throne") and go until
      the Fall (when the Sun falls again). You perform the prayers at three
      Solar-times of day (dawn, noon, dusk). There is even a Solar death-
      ressurection ceremony that takes place during the last seven days.

      I talk about this Solar imagery in depth in this essay:

      http://kheph777.tripod.com/art_HGA.html

      --- In abramelin@yahoogroups.com, "Michael C Johnson" <john9454@b...>
      wrote:

      > So would you say that beginning the process at some time other than
      > after Easter would be like shortcutting the process instead of
      waiting
      > until Easter?
      > The reason I ask is because, my first intention was to wait until
      > after Easter but, something inside of side to start it now. So, I did
      > as of a week ago at the time of this writing.

    • MARCUS KATZ
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 17, 2005
        Red Oak

        There is another aspect of confession that is also paramount, and possibly
        why the Abramelin Operation includes it, and that is of 'outpouring'. I
        found the "Imitation of Christ" by Thomas A Kempis to be invaluable in this
        regard. "Let your thinking be only on God and let your prayers rise to
        Christ without pause," he writes, in his 'Discourse on the matters of the
        Soul and the Inward Life.' This acts in an identical way to the Rosicrucian
        practice called 'Ergon' in 'Speculum Sophicum Rhodostauroticum' (The 'Mirror
        of Wisdom' by Theophilus Schweighardt):

        "The best, however, is the soul's perfection which comes about when we
        rightly recognise the inner man, and contemplate his sin and impotence, be
        mindful of God's mightiness and mercy, put behind us all human thoughts,
        commending unto him all things, obey his will, hallow his name, pray,
        praise, call upon and glorify him without ceasing. This is the Ergon, the
        preliminary work, the greatest and foremost art and science of not only the
        brethren of the Rose-Cross but also of all Christ-loving men. To the eyes of
        the worldly-wise it seems slight, but they will find with ruth how glorious
        and precious this treasure is, which is no other than the perfect treasure
        of which St. Paul speaks (I Corinthians 13). When the perfect shall come,
        the partial shall cease."

        It is the 'Without Ceasing' that you are after in the practice of
        Confession, and indeed, Abramelin writes that "it is absolutely neccesary
        that your prayer should issue from the midst of your heart," in this prayer.
        Of course, your confessions will "be but feeble" to commence, but books such
        as 'Imitation' will put you in the best framework for the practice.

        Because, in order to outpour from the heart, and confess *your* *self*
        fully, you have to be OUTSIDE of that which you are confessing. It is this
        shift of awareness that the practice leads towards, and if you have not
        already acheived the state in other prior work, it ensures that you have
        before the completion of the Abramelin Operation. Again, one is in awe of
        the construction of this work, and it makes ill-regard of those who have
        promulgated a 'fast-track' version; the Abramelin, unlike any other method,
        recapitulates initiatory states within its construction to ensure success -
        NO MATTER WHERE YOU START FROM - so long as you follow the instructions to
        the letter, including the instruction to adapt your environment to suit
        time, space and culture.

        In the Great Work

        Frater F.P.
        http://www.kabbalahcourse.com
        http://www.westernesoterictradition.com

        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 17, 2005
          ... and I hate to second it, but I also found that the Seasonal changes were
          astonishingly fundamental to my own practice. As I watched the lambs grow in
          the field beyond the Terrace, and the flowers come and go, the leaves on the
          trees change, the weather darkening towards the climax of the Operation, the
          sudden bright sharp light breaking for the final days, and so forth, it
          became an overwhelming - sometimes brain-numbing and humbling - integration
          into the power of the Universe to transmute from one form to another, which
          is essentially the faith one is investing in the Operation.

          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 17, 2005
            Greetings!

            Good post. :) The shift in consciousness is, in my experience, the
            fundamental goal of confession.

            Over on the Solomonic group, we're talking about Leary's "8-Circuit"
            model of the mind. The "4th Circuit"- that is the imprints taken at
            puberty- is concerned with social roles and taboos. ("Right and
            wrong" exist here.) Confession, then, attacks the 4th-Circuit
            directly.

            As you said, confession makes us stand outside of what we are
            confessing (namely- the Self). I have found that sitting down once
            a week (when I commune with my HGA) to confess has a *profound*
            affect on my consciousness. It forces me to step outside of my life
            far enough to look at it and make judgements. Then, it forces me
            (that is, I force myself) to be *honest* in my confessions and
            really evaluate my actions (or lack thereof). It is very rare to
            find a person who even KNOWS when they've screwed up or hurt
            others. The aspirant of Abramelin has to go even further- to know
            it, admit it and make *serious* efforts to cease acting in such a
            way.

            If I don't see anywhere that I've screwed up, I simply do a general
            confession for anything I *might* have done. Like I said- we so
            often act in harmful ways without even knowing it. At such times,
            one should pray for the ability to see their mistakes.

            (Once I was blind, but now I see...)

            --- In abramelin@yahoogroups.com, "MARCUS KATZ" <marcus@k...> wrote:

> [...]
            > fully, you have to be OUTSIDE of that which you are confessing. It
            is this
            > shift of awareness that the practice leads towards, and if you
            have not
            > already acheived the state in other prior work, it ensures that
            you have
            > before the completion of the Abramelin Operation. Again, one is in
            awe of
            > the construction of this work, and it makes ill-regard of those
            who have
            > promulgated a 'fast-track' version; the Abramelin, unlike any
            other method,
            > recapitulates initiatory states within its construction to ensure
            success -
            > NO MATTER WHERE YOU START FROM - so long as you follow the
            instructions to
            > the letter, including the instruction to adapt your environment to

          • Gotteri, Andrew R
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 19, 2005
              Greetings all,

              Whilst I have not done the Abramelin Operation, I did at one time
              confess daily before sleeping. I mixed a confession of all I had done
              wrong (including a catch all for things I wasn't aware of) and I also
              gave thanks for all the blessings I had received that day. Even silly
              things like it was raining and the bus for work arrived just after I got
              to the bus stop.

              Even after a few days of doing this you would be amazed at the
              difference it makes to your mindset and your way of looking at your
              behaviour and that of others to each other and towards you. I found it
              also made forgiving others easier as I was more aware of my own
              failings.

              I don't do this daily at the moment, but it still affects me when I do
              do it. The only thing is that you have to be ruthlessly honest with
              yourself.

              It makes me think that the power of the Abramelin must be truly awesome!

              4ndy
            • Aaron
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 20, 2005
                --- In abramelin@yahoogroups.com, "Gotteri, Andrew R"
                <andrew.gotteri@e...> wrote:

                > Greetings all,
                >
                > Whilst I have not done the Abramelin Operation, I did at one time
                > confess daily before sleeping. I mixed a confession of all I had done
                > wrong (including a catch all for things I wasn't aware of) and I also
                > gave thanks for all the blessings I had received that day. Even silly
                > things like it was raining and the bus for work arrived just after I got
                > to the bus stop.

                Yes indeed - this is also a part of the Abramelin prayers. You first
                have to confess, then you follow it with thankgiving for blessings.
                The two seem to work together, two sides of the same spiritual coin,
                so to speak.

                > Even after a few days of doing this you would be amazed at the
                > difference it makes to your mindset and your way of looking at your
                > behaviour and that of others to each other and towards you. I found it
                > also made forgiving others easier as I was more aware of my own
                > failings.

                This fairly describes my experience as well- and doing it just once a
                week.

                > I don't do this daily at the moment, but it still affects me when I do
                > do it. The only thing is that you have to be ruthlessly honest with
                > yourself.

                YES! This is the real key, here. The Oratory slowly becomes a place
                of true self-honesty. In there, before your Holy Guardian Angel, you
                can admit to every little fault and ask for help to rid yourself of
                them. Your Angel knows them anyway... Then, you follow that by
                "counting your blessings"- bringing to consciousness all of the things
                (no matter how small) that are most precious to you.

                > It makes me think that the power of the Abramelin must be truly awesome!

                No question in my mind! :) After pummeling my Nephesh (lower self)
                by forcing myself to "admit fault" *everywhere* I normally wouldn't,
                and then suddenly uplifing my thoughts with litanies of all the things
                I love and value in my life- I come out of the Oratory to a world that
                often looks and feels very different. Cathartic experiences are not
                uncommon inside the Oratory.

                Has anyone experimented with the Solomonic "positive confession"?

                (http://esotericarchives.com/solomon/ksol.htm#chap4)

                It strikes me as a great starter-confession for the person whose
                Nephesh just *refuses* to admit fault on its own. You just kneel
                there and admit to *EVERY* horrible crime the Key of Solomon can come
                up with. LOL (It might sound silly - but consider that it is
                designed to admit to everything so that nothing is missed.) It might
                work to start with theis confession, and then move into the more
                personalized confessions once saying such words as "I admit to failing
                in..." become easier and less shocking to the brain.

                DEEP stuff. Reading Eastern mysticism helps.

              • Gotteri, Andrew R
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 20, 2005

                  Yes. I found that counting your blessings made my minor offences seem
                  more repellent to me as they were often so petty ;o) but between them
                  they did balance each other.

                  I think doing just one would be quite dangerous: if you only counted
                  your blessings and never confessed sins you would get to thinking you
                  were more "deserving" than you perhaps are (deserving isn't the right
                  word, but I can't think of the right word). Likewise, if you only
                  confessed and never gave thanks I think you would quickly start to think
                  of yourself as being worthless in an unhealthy way.

                  >> It makes me think that the power of the Abramelin must be
                  >truly awesome!
                  >
                  >No question in my mind! :) After pummeling my Nephesh (lower
                  >self) by forcing myself to "admit fault" *everywhere* I
                  >normally wouldn't, and then suddenly uplifing my thoughts with
                  >litanies of all the things I love and value in my life- I come
                  >out of the Oratory to a world that often looks and feels very
                  >different. Cathartic experiences are not uncommon inside the Oratory.

                  I don't have an oratory. Just the quiet of my mind. Even then, the world
                  appears somehow fresh and new afterwards. Like it does after a big storm
                  ;o)
                  I agree that it can be very cathartic, and should mention that catharsis
                  isn't always easy or painless. A lot of buried stuff comes up to the
                  surface once you start digging.

                  >LVX
                  >Aaron

                  In L.V.X.