Re: No second chance

  • Aaron
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 17, 2005
      --- In abramelin@yahoogroups.com, Red Oak <daire@m...> wrote:

      > At 10:01 AM 2005/12/10 -0800, you wrote:
      > >Well fortunatly there are instructions in the book if a Pagan
      wishes to
      > >undergo the operation :)
      >
      > Oh, actual instructions? I thought it was just a mention that
      Pagans can
      > also be successful with the Working. Well, I still need to get
      there then,
      > started with Book 2 today.

      Read it and read it again, and then read the whole thing AGAIN. And
      take notes on EVERYTHING the whole time you read!

      The instructions basically say that you should not change the
      religion of your birth. (Because of deep imprints that go along
      with the faith of your childhood.)

      It is dead-set against anyone converting to a new religion- for the
      Abramelin Rite or for anything else. So, if you were a Pagan at
      birth, you should stay such.

      Of course, things work differently today than they did when
      Abramelin was written. I think pleny of folks feel very
      disconnected from their birth religions- so they should probably
      just stick with the one they converted to. (If any.)

      > manner for me. But if there are Pagan specific instructions, I
      might feel
      > more comfortable.

      There aren't a separate set of instructions or procedures for
      Pagans. The Abramelin Rite is based on principals that are very
      ancient- and appear in all sorts of Pagan and non-Pagan cultures.
      (It is a basic Shamanic initiation: Purify oneself, draw down the
      Patron God, bond it to the head, and then have the Patron deliver
      spirit familiars and magickal knowledge.) So the Abramelin Rite is
      useable by folks in all cultures

      > The problem usually comes in half way through a Working
      > or a Rite, where my brain starts to think, "I know that this
      probably works
      > better for me, but maybe I should have stuck with the prescribed
      format,
      > which may have worked better."

      Forget all that. You've entered a realm of magick where "what works
      better for you" doesn't mean anything. Follow the instructions, and
      in later years you will be happy you did. ;)

      > So I would probably get more mileage out of praying to Old Dame
      Fate, or
      > maybe Pan, than to God. I think I can live with that :o)

      Actually, the prayers prescribed in Abramelin are directed toward
      the "Lord of Hosts." Stick with that- because you are asking the
      Lord of Hosts to send one of his Host to you. ;) Calling up
      someone other than the one in charge of Guardian Angels would be
      like calling the wrong number. :)

      I admit I did include a reference to the Lady/Mother/etc in my
      prayers. However, this stems more from Gnosticism than Paganism.
      (To the Gnostic, the Christos and Sophia combined to make the Holy
      Spirit- of which the Holy Guardian Angel is a form.) However, I
      still directed the prayers to "Adonai Zabaoth" to send the Angel to
      me.

      > Ah, a question in this regard. How long did you do this for? I see
      in Book
      > 1 it is mentioned that Abraham the Jew did it from sun up to sun
      down.

      ?? I don't remember this part. Give us a reference, and I'll look
      into the context of the passage.

    • Aaron
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 17, 2005
        Greetings!

        I hate to say this, because the founder of this Group, and a good
        online-friend of mine, chose to start his Operation in the Fall
        instead of Spring. However, I'll say it anyway....

        Yes, I do believe that starting the Rite at any other time is a
        shortcut, and should not be done. Not only is it a shortcut, but it
        also side-steps the very important Solar Magickal Timing that goes
        along with the Rite.

        Everything in Abramelin is based on the course of the Sun. You begin
        on the Spring Equinox (when the Sun takes the "Throne") and go until
        the Fall (when the Sun falls again). You perform the prayers at three
        Solar-times of day (dawn, noon, dusk). There is even a Solar death-
        ressurection ceremony that takes place during the last seven days.

        I talk about this Solar imagery in depth in this essay:

        http://kheph777.tripod.com/art_HGA.html

        --- In abramelin@yahoogroups.com, "Michael C Johnson" <john9454@b...>
        wrote:

        > So would you say that beginning the process at some time other than
        > after Easter would be like shortcutting the process instead of
        waiting
        > until Easter?
        > The reason I ask is because, my first intention was to wait until
        > after Easter but, something inside of side to start it now. So, I did
        > as of a week ago at the time of this writing.

      • MARCUS KATZ
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 17, 2005
          Red Oak

          There is another aspect of confession that is also paramount, and possibly
          why the Abramelin Operation includes it, and that is of 'outpouring'. I
          found the "Imitation of Christ" by Thomas A Kempis to be invaluable in this
          regard. "Let your thinking be only on God and let your prayers rise to
          Christ without pause," he writes, in his 'Discourse on the matters of the
          Soul and the Inward Life.' This acts in an identical way to the Rosicrucian
          practice called 'Ergon' in 'Speculum Sophicum Rhodostauroticum' (The 'Mirror
          of Wisdom' by Theophilus Schweighardt):

          "The best, however, is the soul's perfection which comes about when we
          rightly recognise the inner man, and contemplate his sin and impotence, be
          mindful of God's mightiness and mercy, put behind us all human thoughts,
          commending unto him all things, obey his will, hallow his name, pray,
          praise, call upon and glorify him without ceasing. This is the Ergon, the
          preliminary work, the greatest and foremost art and science of not only the
          brethren of the Rose-Cross but also of all Christ-loving men. To the eyes of
          the worldly-wise it seems slight, but they will find with ruth how glorious
          and precious this treasure is, which is no other than the perfect treasure
          of which St. Paul speaks (I Corinthians 13). When the perfect shall come,
          the partial shall cease."

          It is the 'Without Ceasing' that you are after in the practice of
          Confession, and indeed, Abramelin writes that "it is absolutely neccesary
          that your prayer should issue from the midst of your heart," in this prayer.
          Of course, your confessions will "be but feeble" to commence, but books such
          as 'Imitation' will put you in the best framework for the practice.

          Because, in order to outpour from the heart, and confess *your* *self*
          fully, you have to be OUTSIDE of that which you are confessing. It is this
          shift of awareness that the practice leads towards, and if you have not
          already acheived the state in other prior work, it ensures that you have
          before the completion of the Abramelin Operation. Again, one is in awe of
          the construction of this work, and it makes ill-regard of those who have
          promulgated a 'fast-track' version; the Abramelin, unlike any other method,
          recapitulates initiatory states within its construction to ensure success -
          NO MATTER WHERE YOU START FROM - so long as you follow the instructions to
          the letter, including the instruction to adapt your environment to suit
          time, space and culture.

          In the Great Work

          Frater F.P.
          http://www.kabbalahcourse.com
          http://www.westernesoterictradition.com

          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 17, 2005
            ... and I hate to second it, but I also found that the Seasonal changes were
            astonishingly fundamental to my own practice. As I watched the lambs grow in
            the field beyond the Terrace, and the flowers come and go, the leaves on the
            trees change, the weather darkening towards the climax of the Operation, the
            sudden bright sharp light breaking for the final days, and so forth, it
            became an overwhelming - sometimes brain-numbing and humbling - integration
            into the power of the Universe to transmute from one form to another, which
            is essentially the faith one is investing in the Operation.

            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 17, 2005
              Greetings!

              Good post. :) The shift in consciousness is, in my experience, the
              fundamental goal of confession.

              Over on the Solomonic group, we're talking about Leary's "8-Circuit"
              model of the mind. The "4th Circuit"- that is the imprints taken at
              puberty- is concerned with social roles and taboos. ("Right and
              wrong" exist here.) Confession, then, attacks the 4th-Circuit
              directly.

              As you said, confession makes us stand outside of what we are
              confessing (namely- the Self). I have found that sitting down once
              a week (when I commune with my HGA) to confess has a *profound*
              affect on my consciousness. It forces me to step outside of my life
              far enough to look at it and make judgements. Then, it forces me
              (that is, I force myself) to be *honest* in my confessions and
              really evaluate my actions (or lack thereof). It is very rare to
              find a person who even KNOWS when they've screwed up or hurt
              others. The aspirant of Abramelin has to go even further- to know
              it, admit it and make *serious* efforts to cease acting in such a
              way.

              If I don't see anywhere that I've screwed up, I simply do a general
              confession for anything I *might* have done. Like I said- we so
              often act in harmful ways without even knowing it. At such times,
              one should pray for the ability to see their mistakes.

              (Once I was blind, but now I see...)

              --- In abramelin@yahoogroups.com, "MARCUS KATZ" <marcus@k...> wrote:

> [...]
              > fully, you have to be OUTSIDE of that which you are confessing. It
              is this
              > shift of awareness that the practice leads towards, and if you
              have not
              > already acheived the state in other prior work, it ensures that
              you have
              > before the completion of the Abramelin Operation. Again, one is in
              awe of
              > the construction of this work, and it makes ill-regard of those
              who have
              > promulgated a 'fast-track' version; the Abramelin, unlike any
              other method,
              > recapitulates initiatory states within its construction to ensure
              success -
              > NO MATTER WHERE YOU START FROM - so long as you follow the
              instructions to
              > the letter, including the instruction to adapt your environment to

            • Gotteri, Andrew R
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 19, 2005
                Greetings all,

                Whilst I have not done the Abramelin Operation, I did at one time
                confess daily before sleeping. I mixed a confession of all I had done
                wrong (including a catch all for things I wasn't aware of) and I also
                gave thanks for all the blessings I had received that day. Even silly
                things like it was raining and the bus for work arrived just after I got
                to the bus stop.

                Even after a few days of doing this you would be amazed at the
                difference it makes to your mindset and your way of looking at your
                behaviour and that of others to each other and towards you. I found it
                also made forgiving others easier as I was more aware of my own
                failings.

                I don't do this daily at the moment, but it still affects me when I do
                do it. The only thing is that you have to be ruthlessly honest with
                yourself.

                It makes me think that the power of the Abramelin must be truly awesome!

                4ndy
              • Aaron
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 20, 2005
                  --- In abramelin@yahoogroups.com, "Gotteri, Andrew R"
                  <andrew.gotteri@e...> wrote:

                  > Greetings all,
                  >
                  > Whilst I have not done the Abramelin Operation, I did at one time
                  > confess daily before sleeping. I mixed a confession of all I had done
                  > wrong (including a catch all for things I wasn't aware of) and I also
                  > gave thanks for all the blessings I had received that day. Even silly
                  > things like it was raining and the bus for work arrived just after I got
                  > to the bus stop.

                  Yes indeed - this is also a part of the Abramelin prayers. You first
                  have to confess, then you follow it with thankgiving for blessings.
                  The two seem to work together, two sides of the same spiritual coin,
                  so to speak.

                  > Even after a few days of doing this you would be amazed at the
                  > difference it makes to your mindset and your way of looking at your
                  > behaviour and that of others to each other and towards you. I found it
                  > also made forgiving others easier as I was more aware of my own
                  > failings.

                  This fairly describes my experience as well- and doing it just once a
                  week.

                  > I don't do this daily at the moment, but it still affects me when I do
                  > do it. The only thing is that you have to be ruthlessly honest with
                  > yourself.

                  YES! This is the real key, here. The Oratory slowly becomes a place
                  of true self-honesty. In there, before your Holy Guardian Angel, you
                  can admit to every little fault and ask for help to rid yourself of
                  them. Your Angel knows them anyway... Then, you follow that by
                  "counting your blessings"- bringing to consciousness all of the things
                  (no matter how small) that are most precious to you.

                  > It makes me think that the power of the Abramelin must be truly awesome!

                  No question in my mind! :) After pummeling my Nephesh (lower self)
                  by forcing myself to "admit fault" *everywhere* I normally wouldn't,
                  and then suddenly uplifing my thoughts with litanies of all the things
                  I love and value in my life- I come out of the Oratory to a world that
                  often looks and feels very different. Cathartic experiences are not
                  uncommon inside the Oratory.

                  Has anyone experimented with the Solomonic "positive confession"?

                  (http://esotericarchives.com/solomon/ksol.htm#chap4)

                  It strikes me as a great starter-confession for the person whose
                  Nephesh just *refuses* to admit fault on its own. You just kneel
                  there and admit to *EVERY* horrible crime the Key of Solomon can come
                  up with. LOL (It might sound silly - but consider that it is
                  designed to admit to everything so that nothing is missed.) It might
                  work to start with theis confession, and then move into the more
                  personalized confessions once saying such words as "I admit to failing
                  in..." become easier and less shocking to the brain.

                  DEEP stuff. Reading Eastern mysticism helps.

                • Gotteri, Andrew R
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 20, 2005

                    Yes. I found that counting your blessings made my minor offences seem
                    more repellent to me as they were often so petty ;o) but between them
                    they did balance each other.

                    I think doing just one would be quite dangerous: if you only counted
                    your blessings and never confessed sins you would get to thinking you
                    were more "deserving" than you perhaps are (deserving isn't the right
                    word, but I can't think of the right word). Likewise, if you only
                    confessed and never gave thanks I think you would quickly start to think
                    of yourself as being worthless in an unhealthy way.

                    >> It makes me think that the power of the Abramelin must be
                    >truly awesome!
                    >
                    >No question in my mind! :) After pummeling my Nephesh (lower
                    >self) by forcing myself to "admit fault" *everywhere* I
                    >normally wouldn't, and then suddenly uplifing my thoughts with
                    >litanies of all the things I love and value in my life- I come
                    >out of the Oratory to a world that often looks and feels very
                    >different. Cathartic experiences are not uncommon inside the Oratory.

                    I don't have an oratory. Just the quiet of my mind. Even then, the world
                    appears somehow fresh and new afterwards. Like it does after a big storm
                    ;o)
                    I agree that it can be very cathartic, and should mention that catharsis
                    isn't always easy or painless. A lot of buried stuff comes up to the
                    surface once you start digging.

                    >LVX
                    >Aaron

                    In L.V.X.