Intro

  • thewingsofcorvus
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 23, 2009
      Hey

      I'm new to group, just I would introduce myself.

      I've been practicing magic for the last five years, Mainly GD and Crowley.

      I read Mather's translation of the Abremelin ritual a few years back,
      just got my hands on the Dehn translation. I'm really interested in
      performing the ritual.

      What I really wanted to know is, can you use the GD ritual's as
      supplement's to the prayer's and if so how?

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 24, 2009
          Athena,

          I wish to query your comment. How many are doing the Abramelin
          working over 18 months?

          SRD

          --- In abramelin@yahoogroups.com, Athena <oipteaapdoce@...> wrote:

          > I don't recommend it. Abramelin is not a system to go mixing *any*
          other
          > system into, at all. I say this from personal experience. If you
          do a
          > search of the archives you will find previous discussions on this
          topic; not
          > GD specific, but about bringing other magical systems and/or
          prayers into
          > the working.

          > On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 3:28 PM, thewingsofcorvus <
          > thewingsofcorvus@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hey
          > >
          > > I'm new to group, just I would introduce myself.
          > >
          > > I've been practicing magic for the last five years, Mainly GD and
          Crowley.

          > > I read Mather's translation of the Abremelin ritual a few years
          back,
          > > just got my hands on the Dehn translation. I'm really interested
          in
          > > performing the ritual.
          > >
          > > What I really wanted to know is, can you use the GD ritual's as
          > > supplement's to the prayer's and if so how?
          > >

          > --
          > Odo cicle qaa

        • templumkat
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 24, 2009
            Hello

            By Our Work we are Changed.

            I would second Athena's comment with regard to the question
            on "supplementing" the prayers by G.D. rituals and also point out
            that the fervent prayer required by the Operation does not allow time
            nor psychic space nor neccesity for other modalities.

            The Operation is a self-extracting system that unpacks itself to the
            environment of the Operator; should supplements be required, they
            will be informed to the Operator as the Operation progresses.

            Following the instructions as given, with, as they say on the radio
            show, "Just a Minute", no "deviation, repetition or hesitation" is
            essential.

            The Worker is hidden in the Workshop

            Marcus Katz
            http://www.farawaycentre.com

            --- In abramelin@yahoogroups.com, "thewingsofcorvus"

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 24, 2009
              Thank you Marcus and Athena for the insight. You pretty much Summed up
              what I was feeling.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 25, 2009
                So are you doing the 18 month version or Mathers?

                SRD

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 25, 2009
                  Hard to say at the moment. In truth I've only recently started looking
                  at the Dehn translation of the ritual.

                  I am however considering it. I'm in the position where I can take the
                  full 6 months off for the end of the operation, and doing the first
                  year would not be a stretch... I would have to abandon my other
                  studies though which would be hard.

                  Has anyone done the full 18 months?

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 27, 2009
                    I'm sort of tagging along from your first comments about adding in
                    other aspects of "magick" and then "Athena's" comment against mixing
                    in other systems. Well can you just imagine having completed the
                    Mathers 6 month version only to find out that new material such as
                    the Dehn translation indicates that the whole Abramelin document by
                    Mathers was crap?

                    Talk about adding in, it would indicate that not only is it worse
                    than "mixing" with other systems, but the whole rite was a waste of
                    time and needs to be repeated, especially following "Athena's"
                    experience of the 18 month initiation. If "Athena" did not do the 18
                    month initiation, well … that experience indicates that completely
                    altered systems which have omitted 60% of the work may actually work.
                    Makes think that if the Mathers method has left the initiated with
                    success – that mixed systems can work, or the subjective experience
                    was an internal lie.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 27, 2009
                      Thanks for the input hwhydog.

                      It's hard to say whether mixing the systems would "work" or not. As I
                      have not completed the Ritual, I turn to those that have had
                      experience with the ritual for guidance. So far, the response has been
                      "don't mix!" I take their warning on board.

                      As far as there experiences and the way they performed there Ritual, I
                      believe it is subjective and personal, and without knowing them it
                      would be hard to pass any judgment about their experiences and
                      results....

                      However, it is interesting to see in Dehn's translation, it states
                      that during the first year, you can study the Kabbalah, the mixed
                      Kabballah, and other "liberal arts". I guess that sort of includes the
                      GD stuff, being Blended Kabbalah? As far as practicing the rituals go,
                      the jury is still out on this one.

                      As far as My Ritual goes I've made up my mind to start the full 18
                      month ritual starting April 12. I've got some work to do in the
                      interim, and many questions.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 28, 2009
                        I did the 6 month version.  The way I see it is that they were both from the same original source, but one was a better translation (German).  Sort of like the other Grimoires, Goetia for example.  You end up with many different versions handed down.  Anyways, I think the 6 month version is the faster and thus more difficult version, and perhaps a bit rushed.  Where the 18 month one would be at a much more steady pace.  Like running up a hill, or slowely going up switchbacks instead.  Also as someone pointed out in a previous post, perhaps you need more time afterwards to assimulate it if you do the 6 month one.  I'd say go for the 18 month version if you can possibly get that kind of time off.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 4, 2009
                          The Wings of Corvus doth schreibble :

                          <SNIPS>
                          > As far as My Ritual goes I've made up my mind to start the full 18
                          > month ritual starting April 12. I've got some work to do in the
                          > interim, and many questions.

                          The 6-month ritual begins in the Spring quarter, with
                          Pesach/Passover and the Equinox.

                          The 18-month ritual begins in the Autumn quarter, with
                          the Equinox and Sukkot/Tabernacles, and ends in the Spring
                          Quarter, with Pesach/Passover and the Equinox.

                          The 18-month ritual extends over a period of 3 years, with
                          a period of 3 months in the first year, 12 months in the
                          second, and 3 months in the third ( 3+12+3=18 ).

                          For information on how to build a sukkah, see :

                          How To Build Your Sukkah
                          http://tinyurl.com/be3c9j

                          Sukkot, a harvest festival, building a sukkah
                          (YouTube)
                          http://tinyurl.com/dbphu4

                          Sukkot
                          From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                          http://tinyurl.com/ywas2o

                          For more information on the rite of Abraham Elim as it
                          relates to Judaism, see the *Torah*, specifically *Exodus*,
                          and particularly chapters 25-30 :

                          Exodus 25-30: The Tabernacle
                          http://tinyurl.com/dffnw2

                          Every body placed in the luminous air spreads out
                          in circles and fills the surrounding space with
                          infinite likenesses of itself and appears all in
                          all. ~ Leonardo da Vinci