Re: [abramelin] Re: Robes...

  • Scarlet
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
      Thelema Khem,

      Thanks for the info.

      Actually 'faffing' around with glasswear is right up my alley. Thanks for the links. I have been slowly gathering a new set of glasswear as my old stuff got left behind when I moved country.

      Kermes caught my eye because it seems only the female with eggs is used in the dye, which means if used too much you will eventuially kill off future generations of your source.

      I just happened to read Hopkins' "Alchemy, Child of Greek Philosophy." the other day and couldn't believe how I had missed the importance of dye to religous systems. :) Slowly I am catching up...

      Good luck on your move.

      Will
       Love
        ALWays

      Scarlet

      On 3/30/07, Khem Caigan <Khem@...> wrote:

      Scarlet doth schreibble:

      > I thought that the Crimson/Scarlet dye was from Kermes oak coccid, an
      > insect?

      Oh, Kermes was used, too, as both dye and
      medicine and incense - as were the shellfish.

      But the consensus seems to be that the
      shellfish dyes were more expensive - and that
      seems likely to me, since they are more
      difficult to gather and prepare, besides
      giving a brilliant and long-lasting tincture.

      > Have to admit, the twice dyed phrase comes from Exodus *28:5.* "And they
      > shall take gold, and violet, and purple, and scarlet twice dyed, and fine
      > linen." :)

      Hey, I never said that you would be breaking
      any laws of Heaven or Earth if you *did*
      double-dip. Knock yourself out! Get down with
      your bad Royal Purple self!

      Some folks say that the 'twice-dipped' cloth
      was dipped first in Brandaris and then in
      Trunculus to achieve a deeper colour:

      http://phoenicia.org/industry.html

      > Mind you, that color is awesome. What shellfish did you use?

      That dye was from a batch of Murex Brandaris
      that came from the coasts of Salamina, given
      to me a few years ago as a gift.

      That was the only sample board still lying
      around the house, because we are currently
      packing up to move and all the impediminutiae
      must go - but the other colours from that
      batch are equally extraordinary!

      History note:

      Paul Friedlander was the first to determine
      the composition of the dye obtained from
      Murex Brandaris in 1909.

      Here is the procedure that he followed:

      " For the isolation of the dye, I used the
      procedures indicated earlier with a few
      modifications.

      The gland extracts were first placed on filter
      paper and the dyes were developed by brief
      exposure to sunlight.

      Then the mass on the paper was macerated for
      half an hour while heating on the water bath
      with moderately dilute sulfuric acid (1:2),
      washing out the pulp repeatedly with hot
      water in the filter funnel and extracting
      any remaining pollution in the Soxhlet with
      alcohol.

      For extracting the dye itself, I used benzoic
      acid ethyl ether, out of which it precipitates
      in glittering, copper-coloured crystals.

      It is cleaned once more with benzoic ether, and
      finally it is crystallized out of quinoline /
      benzopyridine (because of the heavy solubility
      through extraction out of a Soxhlet, it is
      suspended in the chamber beneath the cool
      tube). "

      But if faffing about with glassware isn't your
      thing, you could order some Tyrian Purple from
      Georg Kremer in Manhattan:

      http://tinyurl.com/2v5avl

      ' Oft on the Mouldering Keep by Night

      Earl Roger takes his Stand,

      With the Sword that Shone at Hastings' fight,

      Firm Grasped in his Red, Right Hand ! '