Where does one start?

    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 13, 2006
      Seraphim doth schriebble:

      > Thanks! So, it sounds like the operation is very
      > self-contained, and can be done on one's own, right?

      Not at all; it must be taken in its context. For
      starters, take a look at Exodus 30:

      http://tinyurl.com/zdq5x

      The _Kabbalah Mystica of Abraham Elim the Mage_ takes the
      entire chapter from Exodus that describes the Tent and its
      Apparatus as the basis for its theurgical prescription,
      leading up to the Conversation with one's Tutelary
      Spirit/Daimon/Genius/Holy Guardian Angel/Beloved.

      Here are some links to these texts, which reside on Joe
      & Candy Peterson's "Esoteric Archives" site:

      The Sacred Magic of Abraham Elim the Mage
      http://www.esotericarchives.com/abramelin/abramelin.htm

      Liber Juratus, or the Sworne Booke of Honorius
      http://www.esotericarchives.com/juratus/juratus.htm

      Lesser Key of Solomon: Book 4: Ars Almadel
      http://www.esotericarchives.com/solomon/almadel.htm

      And here are the links for images from the _Juratus_,
      which are related to the 'aemeth' seal from the Kelley
      & Dee "Enochian" workings:

      http://www.esotericarchives.com/juratus/aemeth2.gif

      http://www.esotericarchives.com/juratus/aemeth3.jpg

      In the case of Abraham ben Simeon's _Kabbalah Mystica_,
      we are looking at a text deriving from the Sephardic
      communities in Spain & Palestine [ witness Abulafia,
      Averroes, Maimonides, Karo, Avempace, Gersonides,
      &tc. ], and I situate the _Kabbalah Mystica_ with the
      exercises found in the writings of ( for instance ) Isaac
      Luria's student Chaim Vital, and those found in the writings
      of Averroes, Abulafia, Halevi, & Maimonides [ briefly ] -
      which treat of the union with the Active Intellect, the
      World Spirit of the Tenth Sphere; and which is considered
      by them to be the source of Prophecy and of Miracles.

      Here's an example of what I'm talking about, from
      al-Farabi:

      http://www.muslimphilosophy.com/rep/H021.htm

      " Pre-eternal creation... is made by the intermediary
      of the ten intellects emanating from one another; the
      first nine each produce, besides the intellect which is
      immediately subordinated, one of the celestial spheres,
      to which it gives its form while at the same time
      constituting the soul of the sphere. The tenth, the
      active intellect, governs the souls in this world,
      divided and constricted by material substance. "

      And here's another from Giordano Bruno:

      http://www.esotericarchives.com/bruno/furori5.htm

      " But the active intellect by incessant labor (for it is
      foreign to human nature and the human condition which is
      wearied, beaten, incited, solicited, distracted, and as
      though torn by the inferior potencies) always sees its
      object immobile, fixed and constant, and always in
      plenitude, and in the same splendor of beauty. Therefore
      the object always ravishes him insofar as he fails to
      offer himself to it, and always restores him insofar as
      he succeeds in offering himself to it.

      It always enflames his passion as much as it is resplendent
      in his thought; it is always as cruel to him by withdrawing
      itself as he similarly withdraws himself, and always so
      beautiful in communicating itself to the degree that he
      offers himself to it. It always martyrs him separated from
      him by space; and it always delights him because he is
      conjoined to it in his affection. "

      See "Our Tutelary Spirit", Chapter Four of Plotinus' Third
      Ennead, which can be read in conjunction with Apuleius'
      _The Daemon of Socrates_.

      There's also a nice bit in Philo of Alexandria's _The
      Giants_, entitled 'Angels, Souls, and Daemons'.

      For the magic squares found in the later chapters of the
      _Kabbalah Mystica_, I refer you to Rabbi Joseph Tirshom's
      _Shosan Yesod Olam_, and the writings of Rabbi Joseph
      Tzayach and Rabbi Isaiah Horowitz.

      The 'demonic retinue' described in Abraham ben Simeon's
      _Kabbalah Mystica_ [which is commonly known through a
      translation from a deficient copy available to Mathers as
      _The Sacred Magic of Abramelin the Mage_] is actually an
      essential feature of astrological physics and magic,
      pertaining as it does to that region on the Chain of Being
      which deals with accomplishing *physical* effects.

      And, once again, I refer interested parties to Beyer's _The
      Cult of Tara_, for an example of how this system works in
      practice.

      ======= o - Bibliography - o ========

      Raphael Patai, _The Jewish Alchemists, a history and source
      book_, 1994.

      Abraham Von Worms, _Buch Abramelin_, 2001.

      Ernst Kühnel and Louisa Bellinger, _Cairene Rugs and Others
      Technically Related (15th - 17th Century)_, 1957.

      Esin Atil, _Renaissance of Islam: Art of the Mamluks_, 1981.

      Donald King and David Sylvester, _The Eastern Carpet in the
      Western World from the 15th to the 17th Century_, 1983.

      Jacques Sesiano, _Un traité médiéval sur les carrés
      magiques, De l'arrangement harmonieux des nombres_, 1996.

      Takanori Kusuba, _Combinatorics and Magic Squares in India -
      A Study of Narayana Pandita's Ganitakaumundi, Chapters 13 &
      14_, 1993.

      Alireza Djafari Naini, _Geschichte der Zahlentheorie im
      Orient_, 1982.

      George Saliba, _A History of Arabic Astronomy: Planetary
      Theories during the Golden Age of Islam_, 1994.

      Julio Samso, _Islamic Astronomy and Medieval Spain_, 1994.

      P. Singh, 'The Ganita Kaumudi of Narayana Pandita',
      _Ganita-Bharati_ 20 (1-4) (1998), 25-82.

      F. Jamil Ragep, and Sally Ragep, eds., _Tradition,
      Transmission, Transformation_, 1996.

      Richard Lorch, _Arabic Mathematical Sciences_, 1995.

      Schuyler Camman, 'Islamic and Indian Magic Squares', in
      _History of Religion_ 8 (1968–1969), pp.181–209, & pp.271–299.

      Takao Hayashi, 'Varahamihira’s Pandiagonal Magic Square of
      the Order Four', in _Historia Mathematica_ 14 (1987),
      pp.159–166.

      Cynthia Hay, ed., _Mathematics from Manuscript to Print:
      1300–1600_, 1988.

      Yohanon Aharoni, Michael Avi-Yonah, Anson F. Rainey, & Ze'ev
      Safrai, _The Macmillan Bible Atlas_, 1993.

      ------====oo0oo====------

      Every body placed in the luminous air spreads out
      in circles and fills the surrounding space with
      infinite likenesses of itself and appears all in
      all. ~ Leonardo da Vinci
    • tony_hermetic
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 15, 2006
        Hi Seraphim,

        The information supplied by Khem is great background. However, what
        you're trying to do is acquire access to your Holy Guardian Angel
        (HGA). The Abramelin operation is replete with references to the
        importance of praying from your heart.

        You could spend months dotting your "i's" and crossing your "t's"
        understanding the intricacies involved and still fail, unless you
        pray from the heart. Access to your HGA is provided by the grace of
        god, not by the exact following of a formula.

        Regarding your friends with no interest in the occult, tell them
        that you're about to begin a course of meditation for a 6 month
        period. Don't mention anything about working towards compelling
        legions of demons to carry out your will. No-one has a problem with
        meditation. Prayer will get your atheist friends off-side, and
        demons will upset just about everyone, unless they're into death
        metal.

        Just my 20 cent's worth,

        Tony

        --- In abramelin@yahoogroups.com, Khem Caigan <Khem@...> wrote:

        > Seraphim doth schriebble:
        > >
        > > Thanks! So, it sounds like the operation is very
        > > self-contained, and can be done on one's own, right?
        >
        > Not at all; it must be taken in its context. For
        > starters, take a look at Exodus 30:

        <snip>
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 15, 2006
          Tony doth schriebble:

          <SNIPS>
          > You could spend months dotting your "i's" and crossing your "t's"
          > understanding the intricacies involved and still fail, unless you
          > pray from the heart. Access to your HGA is provided by the grace of
          > god, not by the exact following of a formula.
          <SNIPS>

          " Seek out the channel of the soul, from where it descended
          in a certain order to serve the body; and seek how you will
          raise it [the soul] up again to its order by combining
          action with a sacred word. "

          ~ Chaldaean Oracles, Fragment 124.

          " That is, seek the source of the soul, from where the soul
          had been led into your body; and how, by raising it up and
          awakening it by means of telestic rites, you may lead it
          back up from where it has come. "

          ~ Michael Psellus [c.1019-1078]

          On Unceasing Prayer
          From the Life of St. Gregory Palamas, Archbishop of
          Thessalonica by St. Nikodemos of the Holy Mountain,
          editor of The Philokalia
          http://tinyurl.com/he7gb

          Knowledge of God according to St. Gregory Palamas
          http://tinyurl.com/epms8

          Prayer of the Heart for the Faithful Living in the World
          by Elder Joseph of Vatopaidi (Spiritual Child of Elder
          Joseph the Hesychast)
          http://tinyurl.com/hhss7

          " There are many who live in the mountains
          and behave as if they were in the town, and
          they are wasting their time. It is possible
          to be a solitary in one's mind while living
          in a crowd, and it is possible for one who
          is a solitary to live in the crowd of his
          own thoughts. "

          ~ Amma Syncletica
        • mysticalsonglight
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 15, 2006
            Thanks Tony. This is very helpful.

            It raises a couple more questions for me though. You
            mention "praying from the heart", and the "grace of God", BOTH of
            which I very much believe in and agree with you. Here is my
            question. I am an Eastern Orthodox Christian. In the Orthodox
            Tradition, there is much emphasis placed on the "Prayer of the
            Heart", also referred to as "The Jesus Prayer" ("Lord Jesus Christ,
            Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner".) This prayer is of the heart
            is used quite extensively by Orthodox Monastics (the practice is
            known as "hesychasm"), in order to attain Union with God, which of
            course is by His Grace and not the specific formula of the prayer.

            (Actually, I guess that's a statement, just leading up to the
            question. Now come the questions.)... In the Abramelin Operation,
            why specifically is the objective to access our HGA? The reason I
            ask is because since man was created in the image of God, and Angels
            were not, and since angels are created beings also, wouldn't it be a
            higher purpose for us to attain Union with God? Or, does our HGA
            help us with that end? I know in the Orthodox Tradition, there are
            MANY prayers to Saints and also to Angels, and they they help us
            through their prayers in our Spiritual advancement, to help us
            attain Union with God (which the Saints already have). Is this the
            same concept?

            And, if it is the same concept, then why the Abramelin Operation as
            opposed to hesychasm?

            PLEASE forgive me, if I sound at all argumentative. I'm really not
            meaning it that way. I'm just trying to gain some understanding, and
            unfortunately, for me the best way to do that is to ask comparitive
            type questions. This can sometimes sound like I'm arguing, but I
            REALLY don't mean it that way.

            I guess where I'm confused the most, if that if the contacting of
            the HGA is through prayer from the heart, and all of God's Grace,
            and not teh actual formula...then I don't understand what the
            Operation is really for. Unless I am totally misunderstanding the
            whole thing (which I probably am), the Operation sounds like it is
            more about US doing all the work, to command various spirits (i.e.
            HGA, demons, etc.)

            Please help me understand the difference. Thanks for your patience!

            Seraphim

            --- In abramelin@yahoogroups.com, "tony_hermetic"
            <tony_hermetic@...> wrote:

            > Hi Seraphim,
            >
            > The information supplied by Khem is great background. However,
            what
            > you're trying to do is acquire access to your Holy Guardian Angel
            > (HGA). The Abramelin operation is replete with references to the
            > importance of praying from your heart.
            >
            > You could spend months dotting your "i's" and crossing your "t's"
            > understanding the intricacies involved and still fail, unless you
            > pray from the heart. Access to your HGA is provided by the grace
            of
            > god, not by the exact following of a formula.
            >
            > Regarding your friends with no interest in the occult, tell them
            > that you're about to begin a course of meditation for a 6 month
            > period. Don't mention anything about working towards compelling
            > legions of demons to carry out your will. No-one has a problem
            with
            > meditation. Prayer will get your atheist friends off-side, and
            > demons will upset just about everyone, unless they're into death
            > metal.
            >
            > Just my 20 cent's worth,
            >
            > Tony
            >

            > --- In abramelin@yahoogroups.com, Khem Caigan <Khem@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Seraphim doth schriebble:
            > > >
            > > > Thanks! So, it sounds like the operation is very
            > > > self-contained, and can be done on one's own, right?
            > >
            > > Not at all; it must be taken in its context. For
            > > starters, take a look at Exodus 30:
            >
            > <snip>

          • mysticalsonglight
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 15, 2006
              I'm PARTICULARLY grateful for seeing teh reference to St. Gregory
              Palamas here! He was INSTRUMENTAL in the hesychast controversy
              within Orthodoxy in the 13th century. He pretty much was the
              champion for this very important teaching of the Church.

              THANK YOU!

              Seraphim

            • mysticalsonglight
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 15, 2006
                And Elder Joseph, as well!!!!!

                --- In abramelin@yahoogroups.com, Khem Caigan <Khem@...> wrote:

                > Tony doth schriebble:
                > >
                > <SNIPS>
                > > You could spend months dotting your "i's" and crossing your "t's"
                > > understanding the intricacies involved and still fail, unless you
                > > pray from the heart. Access to your HGA is provided by the grace
                of
                > > god, not by the exact following of a formula.
                > <SNIPS>
                >
                > " Seek out the channel of the soul, from where it descended
                > in a certain order to serve the body; and seek how you will
                > raise it [the soul] up again to its order by combining
                > action with a sacred word. "
                >
                > ~ Chaldaean Oracles, Fragment 124.
                >
                > " That is, seek the source of the soul, from where the soul
                > had been led into your body; and how, by raising it up and
                > awakening it by means of telestic rites, you may lead it
                > back up from where it has come. "
                >
                > ~ Michael Psellus [c.1019-1078]
                >
                > On Unceasing Prayer
                > From the Life of St. Gregory Palamas, Archbishop of
                > Thessalonica by St. Nikodemos of the Holy Mountain,
                > editor of The Philokalia
                > http://tinyurl.com/he7gb
                >
                > Knowledge of God according to St. Gregory Palamas
                > http://tinyurl.com/epms8
                >
                > Prayer of the Heart for the Faithful Living in the World
                > by Elder Joseph of Vatopaidi (Spiritual Child of Elder
                > Joseph the Hesychast)
                > http://tinyurl.com/hhss7
                >
                > Cors in Manu Domine,
                >

                > ~ Khem Caigan
                > <Khem@...>
                >
                > " There are many who live in the mountains
                > and behave as if they were in the town, and
                > they are wasting their time. It is possible
                > to be a solitary in one's mind while living
                > in a crowd, and it is possible for one who
                > is a solitary to live in the crowd of his
                > own thoughts. "
                >
                > ~ Amma Syncletica

              • mysticalsonglight
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 15, 2006
                  That's odd! Prior to this message, I sent one thanking you for the
                  reference to Gregory Palamas, who was the champion of the hesychasm
                  controversy in the 13th century, and showed the importance of this
                  practice. For some reason, that one didn't post. Oh well.

                  Thanks!

                  --- In abramelin@yahoogroups.com, "mysticalsonglight"
                  <mysticalsonglight@...> wrote:

                  > And Elder Joseph, as well!!!!!
                  >
                  > --- In abramelin@yahoogroups.com, Khem Caigan <Khem@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Tony doth schriebble:
                  > > >
                  > > <SNIPS>
                  > > > You could spend months dotting your "i's" and crossing
                  your "t's"
                  > > > understanding the intricacies involved and still fail, unless
                  you
                  > > > pray from the heart. Access to your HGA is provided by the
                  grace
                  > of
                  > > > god, not by the exact following of a formula.
                  > > <SNIPS>
                  > >
                  > > " Seek out the channel of the soul, from where it descended
                  > > in a certain order to serve the body; and seek how you will
                  > > raise it [the soul] up again to its order by combining
                  > > action with a sacred word. "
                  > >
                  > > ~ Chaldaean Oracles, Fragment 124.
                  > >
                  > > " That is, seek the source of the soul, from where the soul
                  > > had been led into your body; and how, by raising it up and
                  > > awakening it by means of telestic rites, you may lead it
                  > > back up from where it has come. "
                  > >
                  > > ~ Michael Psellus [c.1019-1078]
                  > >
                  > > On Unceasing Prayer
                  > > From the Life of St. Gregory Palamas, Archbishop of
                  > > Thessalonica by St. Nikodemos of the Holy Mountain,
                  > > editor of The Philokalia
                  > > http://tinyurl.com/he7gb
                  > >
                  > > Knowledge of God according to St. Gregory Palamas
                  > > http://tinyurl.com/epms8
                  > >
                  > > Prayer of the Heart for the Faithful Living in the World
                  > > by Elder Joseph of Vatopaidi (Spiritual Child of Elder
                  > > Joseph the Hesychast)
                  > > http://tinyurl.com/hhss7
                  > >
                  > > Cors in Manu Domine,
                  > >

                  > > ~ Khem Caigan
                  > > <Khem@>
                  > >
                  > > " There are many who live in the mountains
                  > > and behave as if they were in the town, and
                  > > they are wasting their time. It is possible
                  > > to be a solitary in one's mind while living
                  > > in a crowd, and it is possible for one who
                  > > is a solitary to live in the crowd of his
                  > > own thoughts. "
                  > >
                  > > ~ Amma Syncletica

                • tony_hermetic
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 15, 2006
                    Hi Seraphim,

                    > It raises a couple more questions for me though. You
                    > mention "praying from the heart", and the "grace of God", BOTH of
                    > which I very much believe in and agree with you. Here is my
                    > question. I am an Eastern Orthodox Christian. In the Orthodox
                    > Tradition, there is much emphasis placed on the "Prayer of the
                    > Heart", also referred to as "The Jesus Prayer" ("Lord Jesus
                    Christ,
                    > Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner".) This prayer is of the
                    heart
                    > is used quite extensively by Orthodox Monastics (the practice is
                    > known as "hesychasm"), in order to attain Union with God, which of
                    > course is by His Grace and not the specific formula of the prayer.

                    I assume that you're referring to the Philokalia writings, which are
                    beautiful. The trouble is that they come from someone else's heart.
                    By praying from the heart, I meant that you should pray in your own
                    words. By all means start with the Jesus prayer, but then ad lib and
                    improvise. Don't think about what you are praying, but rather, let
                    it pour directly out of your heart.

                    The Abramelin operation can be performed by anyone regardless of
                    their religious background. You should really study the text closely.

                    > (Actually, I guess that's a statement, just leading up to the
                    > question. Now come the questions.)... In the Abramelin Operation,
                    > why specifically is the objective to access our HGA? The reason I
                    > ask is because since man was created in the image of God, and
                    Angels
                    > were not, and since angels are created beings also, wouldn't it be
                    > higher purpose for us to attain Union with God? Or, does our HGA
                    > help us with that end? I know in the Orthodox Tradition, there are
                    > MANY prayers to Saints and also to Angels, and they they help us
                    > through their prayers in our Spiritual advancement, to help us
                    > attain Union with God (which the Saints already have). Is this the
                    > same concept?

                    The Abramelin operation was conferred by Abraham unto his son,
                    Lamech. Lamech was Abraham's second son. His first born son, Joseph
                    received the "Holy Tradition of the Qabalah."

                    This clearly indicates that the Qabalah is superior to the Abramelin
                    operation. Abraham wanted to ensure that Lamech didn't miss out
                    altogether.

                    Students of the Qabalah ascend up the Tree of Life on their way to
                    union with the godhead. Access to the HGA occurs at Tiphareth, which
                    is halfway up the Tree of Life. Tiphareth is just one of ten
                    sephiroth. Students of the Qabalah have the luxury of experiencing
                    the sephiroth below Tiphareth as a preliminary to accessing their
                    HGA, whereupon they can resume their journey through the remaining
                    sephiroth until they unite with the godhead at Kether, at the top of
                    the Tree of Life.

                    The Abramelin operation is effectively a shortcut to Tiphareth.
                    Tiphareth represents the heart centre and the heart chakra. There
                    are a number of techniques for accessing the HGA, Abramelin and
                    Qabalistic magick are but two. Once the HGA is accessed, you can
                    then work with the demons.

                    Regarding the HGA, there is some controversy as to what it is. Some
                    believe that it is an angel assigned to us at birth, whereas others
                    believe that it is our higher self. Either way, the HGA is our link
                    to the godhead, and enables us to channel messages directly.

                    The HGA enables us to transcend Tiphareth and move to Geburah and
                    Chesed. At this point the HGA is left behind as we cross the Abyss
                    to Binah.

                    > And, if it is the same concept, then why the Abramelin operation
                    as
                    > opposed to hesychasm?

                    Hesychasm appears to take you beyond Tiphareth, and hence further
                    than the Abramelin operation would.

                    > PLEASE forgive me, if I sound at all argumentative. I'm really not
                    > meaning it that way. I'm just trying to gain some understanding,
                    and
                    > unfortunately, for me the best way to do that is to ask
                    comparitive
                    > type questions. This can sometimes sound like I'm arguing, but I
                    > REALLY don't mean it that way.

                    You're not being argumentative at all. I'm providing my own opinion
                    in this email, and I don't expect everyone on this list to agree
                    with me.

                    > I guess where I'm confused the most, if that if the contacting of
                    > the HGA is through prayer from the heart, and all of God's Grace,
                    > and not teh actual formula...then I don't understand what the
                    > Operation is really for. Unless I am totally misunderstanding the
                    > whole thing (which I probably am), the Operation sounds like it is
                    > more about US doing all the work, to command various spirits (i.e.
                    > HGA, demons, etc.)

                    The point that I was trying to make was that it's important to not
                    get stuck in the details. As an example, a few days ago we were
                    having a discussion on what the Abramelin oil should be on the basis
                    of an earlier version of the Abramelin text and a proper translation
                    of the book of Exodus. Despite using what is probably an incorrect
                    formula for the Abramelin oil, Crowley and many others still managed
                    to access their HGA.

                    It is the HGA which actually enables us to control demons. Without
                    it, we have to use the names of god and of angels.

                    The operation is about us doing all the work. Without our work,
                    nothing will be achieved. Access to the HGA in the operation
                    however, is ultimately by grace. So, it's actually a combination of
                    our work and of grace.

                    > Please help me understand the difference. Thanks for your patience!

                    I hope all this makes sense.

                    Wishing you success with the operation,

                    Tony
                  • Aaron
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 16, 2006
                      --- In abramelin@yahoogroups.com, "Nightshade's Magic"
                      <oipteaapdoce@...> wrote:

                      > Next up you would pick the date to start (usually spring but that isn't
                      > mandatory), and start to gather the supplies needed for the operation.
                      >
                      > Athena

                      Athena and I disagree on some key issues. I say that beginning on or
                      near the Spring Equinox is madatory. ;)

                      I do agree that gathering the supplies is first. You should spend at
                      least six months in study of the book beforehand, and you should
                      gather the tools and such during that same period.

                    • Aaron
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 16, 2006
                        <mysticalsonglight@...> wrote:

                        > I guess where I'm confused the most, if that if the contacting of
                        > the HGA is through prayer from the heart, and all of God's Grace,
                        > and not teh actual formula...then I don't understand what the
                        > Operation is really for. Unless I am totally misunderstanding the
                        > whole thing (which I probably am), the Operation sounds like it is
                        > more about US doing all the work, to command various spirits (i.e.
                        > HGA, demons, etc.)

                        Greetings!

                        Yes, the Guaridan Angel is intended to bring you to union with God.
                        It is your personal representative of the Holy Spirit, the Redeemer
                        (similar to Christ) and the Metatron.

                        However, you do NOT command the Angel. It acts as a guide and
                        teacher, argues for you in the Divine Court and carries the Word of
                        God down to you.

                        As for the formula - I am of the belief that the formula is important.
                        Abramelin is not just an elaborate method of contacting the HGA. It
                        goes FAR deeper than that. Perhaps the following will explain. It's
                        something I posted here not too long ago:

                        -------------------------
                        Re: The Abramelin Operation versus other Methods of Realization

                        "No Shortcut to Abramelin" (from the Solomonic Group):

                        [Shortcut to Abramelin?]
                        > from Scot's <The Discovery of Witchcraft> Book XV
                        > Chapter VII:
                        >
                        > How to obtain the familiarity of the Genius or Good Angel, and cause
                        him to
                        > appear.

                        This is useful material - though I would add that I see a marked
                        diffeence between the Genius- who is tied directly to the birth-chart-
                        and the Holy Guardian Angel. (While I did not adopt that idea from
                        Agrippa, I do find it interesting to note that he agrees.)

                        Perhaps this gives me a good opportunity to clarify a thing or two
                        here. I see you folks insisting that the Guardian Angel can be
                        reached (or can reach you!) in many different ways. And you are all
                        correct! If you want to establish communication with your HGA, try
                        starting out with Single-Pointed meditation:

                        http://kheph777.tripod.com/art_meditation.html

                        Then move into Special-Insight meditation. It doesn't matter if you
                        use the Eastern or Western versions of Special-Insight. They are
                        different, but both of them will do you a lot of good, and get you
                        closer to contact with your HGA.

                        You might establish contact while undertaking Liber Samekh, or while
                        skrying the Celestial Cities and Aethyrs of Loagaeth, or meditating on
                        the 231 Gates, etc, etc. Hell, you might even accomplish it through
                        nothing more than saying your prayers before bed each night - if you
                        keep asking. These are all wonderful forms of devotional magick.
                        None of them are intended to open communication with the Guardian
                        Angel, but they are all the kinds of things you might be doing to help
                        it along.

                        So, you may ask, what is it that gets me ranting on the subject of
                        Abramelin? Why do I continue to insist that none of the above will
                        accomplish the same result as Abramelin? Simple: establishing
                        contact with the Holy Guardian Angel is NOT what Abramelin is "about."

                        Sure, establishing that contact is a BIG part of Abramelin. You
                        certainly can't accomplish the Rite without it. And devotion is also
                        essential. These things are as important to Abramelin as an engine
                        and wheels are to a car. But, these things are not "Abramelin" any
                        more than the engine and wheels are a "car."

                        Abramelin is a highly specialized death-rebirth Rite by which you call
                        down your Guardian Angel and put the entity to your head. It is a
                        Crowning ceremony. It is a Wedding. It is a Possession meant to last
                        a lifetime.

                        This initiatory process can be found throughout all cultures of the
                        world. I've discussed them here and elsewhere before. From the most
                        ancient and primitive shamanic traditions to the most elaborate
                        Temple-faith empires, the process that we see outlined in Abramelin is
                        found. It has *always* been how shamans and prophets are initiated.

                        Neither prayer nor meditation, evocation nor invocation, nor skrying
                        astral realms are going to achieve the same result. Outside of
                        Abramelin, there is nothing in the entire corpus of Solomonic
                        literature that comes even close. (Not even Liber Juratis, which is
                        closest to Abramelin in its essential intent.) I've even yet to find
                        anything in Golden Dawn or contemporary Western occult sources that
                        matches the process.

                        There is no shortcut method. If the method you are using does not
                        result in an NPE living inside your skull, permanently, then you are
                        not doing anything like Abramelin. (Or Ocha, or...) As I have said
                        so many times before, Abramelin is "about" the wedding between you and
                        your Guardian Angel. It is the "Knowlege" half of the "Knowledge and
                        Conversation" equation.