Why are the names different?

  • Nightshade's Magic
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28 5:29 PM

      I just have to ask why on earth are some of the names of the demons in the Abramelin book completely different in the Mathers/French and the German editions?  I don't just mean the names where there is a letter or 2 different, but the ones where they obviously don't appear in the other edition.  If they came from the same original, how could someone have goofed up that badly?  Well I know Mather's isn't the best at translation, but I wonder...

      "In Plato's Symposium, the priestess Diotima teaches Socrates that love is not a god, but rather a good daemon." (wikipedia)

      Cutsom and traditional spell supplies, powders, roots, herbs etc.
      www.nightshademagic.com
    • Aaron
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2006
        I think it is more than a simple translation issue. Look at the
        Talismans, too, and you'll see some that are *enitrely* different from
        the ones in the French/Mathers version. I tend to think the changes
        were made in the French version before Mathers got to it.

        Myself, I'm currently set to go back and fix all of my Talismans to
        match those in the German original.

        As for the spirits - the same things seems to be the case with them,
        and I still don't know the answer as to who did it or why it was done.
        However, the spirit names are entirely moot to us (we have to recieve
        our own spirit names), so it isn't a big concern of mine.

        --- In abramelin@yahoogroups.com, "Nightshade's Magic"
        <oipteaapdoce@...> wrote:

        > I just have to ask why on earth are some of the names of the demons
        in the
        > Abramelin book completely different in the Mathers/French and the German
        > editions? I don't just mean the names where there is a letter or 2
        > different, but the ones where they obviously don't appear in the other
        > edition. If they came from the same original, how could someone
        have goofed
        > up that badly? Well I know Mather's isn't the best at translation,
        but I
        > wonder...

        > "In Plato's Symposium, the priestess Diotima teaches Socrates that
        love is
        > not a god, but rather a good daemon." (wikipedia)
        >
        > Cutsom and traditional spell supplies, powders, roots, herbs etc.
        > www.nightshademagic.com

      • Nightshade's Magic

          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2006
            I believe the only place you'll find 360 of them is in Bardon's work.
            Abramelin has a different number. ;)

            <oipteaapdoce@...> wrote:

            > Well I have ordered the French version, as I'm curious :)
            > I find it to be a handy grimoiire of 360 different names...
            Alongside the
            > Goetia, GV and so on, an interesting study at the very least.
            >
            > Athena
            > www.nightshademagic.com
            >

            > On 5/1/06, Aaron <Aaron@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I think it is more than a simple translation issue. Look at the
            > > Talismans, too, and you'll see some that are *enitrely* different from
            > > the ones in the French/Mathers version. I tend to think the changes
            > > were made in the French version before Mathers got to it.
            > >
            > > Myself, I'm currently set to go back and fix all of my Talismans to
            > > match those in the German original.
            > >
            > > As for the spirits - the same things seems to be the case with them,
            > > and I still don't know the answer as to who did it or why it was done.
            > > However, the spirit names are entirely moot to us (we have to recieve
            > > our own spirit names), so it isn't a big concern of mine.
            > >
            > > LVX
            > > Aaron

          • Nightshade's Magic
            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 2006
              On 5/1/06, Aaron <Aaron@...> wrote:
              I believe the only place you'll find 360 of them is in Bardon's work.
              Abramelin has a different number.  ;)

              Good point, 415 then :)  Damn, can't anyone copy exactly? LOL