Making Oil of Abramelin

    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 17, 2011
      Greetings!

      I just posted a new blog about Abramelin Oil and how to make it. It explores several different methods:

      http://aaronleitch.wordpress.com/2011/08/18/making-abramelin-holy-oil/

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 18, 2011
        Shalom!

        While living and working at the Samuel Weiser
        warehouse back in the '70s, I had the pleasure
        of working closely for a time with R. Aryeh
        Kaplan [http://tinyurl.com/y8zjjn%5d on his
        English translations of the *Sefer Bahir* and
        *Sefer Yetzirah*, as a proofreader. He had a
        great heart and was possessed of a far-ranging
        intellect, and at one point our discussion moved
        onto the topic of the *Mystical Kabbalah of
        Abraham Elim*, mentioned in Scholem's *Kabbalah*,
        1927.

        Knowing of my interest in herbal spagyrics and
        perfumes and incense, Aryeh was extremely helpful
        in pointing out a number of sources at the NYPL
        treating of ancient pharmacology and perfumery,
        and generously shared his own insights into the
        manner of preparing the incense and the oil for
        the First Temple - some of which later published
        in his *The Living Torah*, 1981.

        See the *Book of Exodus*, and see also:

        "Alternate theories identifying keneh-bosem":
        *Holy Anointing Oil*
        @Wikipedia
        http://tinyurl.com/2cfhyes

        *Early Diffusion and Folk Uses of Hemp*
        by Sula Benet
        http://tinyurl.com/w69dc

        And, most especially, see:

        *The Living Torah*, 1981, page 442.
        http://tinyurl.com/44g8dd3

        I quote:

        "30:25 - "Blended Compound: The anointing oil
        was made by soaking the aromatic substances in
        water until the essential essences are extracted.
        The [olive] oil is then placed over the water,
        and the water /slowly/ cooked away, allowing the
        essences to mix with the oil (/Yad, Kley HaMikdash/1:2;
        from /Kerithoth 5a/). According to another opinion,
        the oil was cooked with aromatic herbs, and then
        filtered out (/Ibid/)."

        This procedure is /exactly/ that followed by folks
        in the LEGAL / MEDICAL cannabis community for
        preparing cannabis infused in olive oil and in
        butter <or using any other fatty/sulphurous oil,
        such as coconut oil, safflower, canola, &tc.>.

        For purposes of technical comparison only, see:

        *Cannabis Olive Oil*
        http://tinyurl.com/3k72jcu

        *Olive Oil concentrate that works*
        http://tinyurl.com/44pphd5

        *Extracting Cannabis into Oil or Butter*
        http://tinyurl.com/cqbfcj

        *Cannabis Butter Recipe*
        http://tinyurl.com/67dl6t2

        *Making Cannabis Butter: Discussion*
        http://tinyurl.com/3jlmd96

        The procedures described by Aaron in his essay
        can produce an oil that is equally fine as one
        produced using the above techniques, by-the-way,
        and I applaud both his Application and his Craft.

        In other news: the *Kabbalah Mystica* continues to
        garner interest in the Academic community - please
        see:

        "Meeting on the Road: Encounters between German
        Jews and Christians on the Margins of Society",
        by Yacov Guggenheim.

        - in:

        *In and Out of the Ghetto: Jewish-Gentile Relations
        in Late Medieval and Early Modern Germany*
        by R. Po-Chia Hsia, Hartmut Lehmann, Chapter 9,
        page 135.
        (Preview @GoogleBooks)
        http://tinyurl.com/3wmjjvv

        " Every Angel who is an Archon of the
        zodiacal sign (/sar mazzal/) of a person
        when it is sent below has the image of
        the person who is under it....

        And this is the meaning of 'And God
        created man in His image, in the image
        of God He created him' (Gen. 1:27).

        Why is [it written] twice, 'in His image'
        and 'in the image'?

        One image refers to the image of man and
        the other to the image of the Angel of
        the zodiacal sign that is in the image
        of the man. "

        ~ from:
        *Hokhmah ha-Nefesh*,
        by R. Eleazar of Worms

        [ Note : /mazzal/ means constellation,
        planet, planetary influence, destiny,
        and guardian angel.

        It is associated with the root *MZL*, meaning
        "to flow", which, in the *Zohar*, refers to
        the flow emanating from the divine phallus,
        comprised by the spheres from Binah through
        Yesod.

        Yesod conveys this flow to the Shekinah,
        engendering the souls of the newborn. ]
      • Shaun
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 18, 2011
          Thanks for that Aaron, noticed a few of the photos were missing
          though... any chance of an upload?
        • Adam Sod
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 18, 2011
            Shalom,

            Since Khem mentioned The Living Torah, I wanted to say that I think that the source of those words are originally from the Me'am Lo'ez (original in Ladino), which was translated into Heb. in 1967. Kaplan translated it into English after that. It is a massive commentary, consisting of (something like) 25 encyclopedia size volumes, just on the Torah alone.

            The only issue I have with those instructions though is that from readings about Traditional Chinese Medicine, it is claimed that water and alcohol are required to pull the essence out of a plant (etc.) as some of them dissolve in water and others in alcohol.

            Shalom,
            AdamSod72

            Kaplan [http://tinyurl.com/y8zjjn] on his

            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 18, 2011
              Adam Sod doth schreibble :

              <SNIPS>
              > The only issue I have with those instructions though is that from
              > readings about Traditional Chinese Medicine, it is claimed that water
              > and alcohol are required to pull the essence out of a plant (etc.) as
              > some of them dissolve in water and others in alcohol.

              Hi, Adam ~

              You will find a wide variety of extraction techniques
              employed by indigenous peoples. Some will opt for water
              and/or spirits <"Mercury">, and some will use fats and/or
              fatty oils <"Sulphur"> for extractions - extraction
              with cold fat = enfleurage, extraction with warm/hot
              fat = maceration:

              "Maceration is the removal of substances by soaking
              materials in an appropriate liquid. Hot fat is used
              in maceration to extract essential oils from plant
              material. The saturated fat is then washed with alcohol
              to leave pure essential oil, e.g. calendula oil.
              Maceration is used for extraction of essential oils
              that cannot be extracted by distillation."

              -from:

              *Essential Chemistry for Safe Aromatherapy*
              by Sue Clarke, page 83.
              (Preview @GoogleBooks)
              http://tinyurl.com/3pgbxw6

              The examples given by R. Kaplan combine features
              of steam distillation/infusion <simmering water>
              and hot enfleurage/maceration <warm olive oil>.

              Spirits were also employed in the preparation of
              the Ketoret:

              "In Talmudic times, caperberries were also fermented
              into a wine (/yein kafrisin/), the strongest fruit
              wine, which was used to soak one of the ingredients
              incorporated into the Temple incense [onycha]."

              -from:

              *Encyclopedia of Jewish Food*
              by Gil Marks, page 88.
              (Preview @GoogleBooks)
              http://tinyurl.com/3g9g9og

              For a great overview of indigenous plant extraction
              techniques worldwide, see:

              *Extraction Technologies for Medicinal and Aromatic Plants*
              (.PDF @ ICS UNIDO)
              http://tinyurl.com/3bxktwu

              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 19, 2011
                Thanks, Khem. :) And thanks for sharing your insight into (and links for) the likely process used in ancient times. If you don't mind, I'd like to add that to the blog post - with credit given of course. :) I like what you offer a hell of a lot more than that funky cone set-up someone else suggested...

                --- In abramelin@yahoogroups.com, Khem posted:

                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 19, 2011
                  Greetings,

                  The pictures should all be there. They are when I view it... Anyone else see missing content?

                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 19, 2011
                    I had heard of using a water/alcohol mixture for the extraction too. I considered doing that myself, but stuck with alcohol for this experiment.

                    Aaron

                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 21, 2011
                      AaronL doth schreibble :

                      > Thanks, Khem. :) And thanks for sharing your insight into (and links for)
                      > the likely process used in ancient times. If you don't mind, I'd like to add
                      > that to the blog post - with credit given of course. :) I like what you offer
                      > a hell of a lot more than that funky cone set-up someone else suggested...

                      You are Very Welcome, Aaron!

                      Appending it to your blog entry is fine with me, so long as you
                      can paste it in with a link back to the original post here.

                      And here are a few more related excerpts and links:

                      "The Perfumes of the ancients were primarily comprised of resins,
                      aromatic barks, seeds, grasses - whatever would produce a scent
                      when cooked with water and oil or animal fat.

                      A large basin-like bowl [L. 'crater'] hammered out of bronze, clay
                      or even dense stone was often used to make the ancient unguents.

                      The ingredients would often include cinnamon, cassia, calamus, myrrh,
                      frankincense, saffron, spikenard, mint, lavender and other aromatic
                      herbs.

                      When a person of ancient times made a fragrant oil or unguent, it
                      was a concoction of mostly what was available, combined with water
                      and oil/fat cooked over heat for two to three days (similar to today's
                      crock pot) adding more water and sometimes oils/fats until perfumed.

                      Then strained through (most likely) linen cloth, as it was abundant
                      and strong, then poured into jars sealed with a clay seal and beeswax-
                      coated linen, then wrapped or tied with cord or sinew."

                      - from:

                      *Queen Esther's Preparation*
                      @...
                      http://tinyurl.com/43nty3u

                      "Throughout the ancient world the Egyptians were famous for their
                      scents and perfumes. The country was considered the most suitable
                      for the manufacture of such commodities. As the distillation of
                      alcohol was not known until the fourth century BC the scents were
                      extracted by steeping plants, flowers or splinters of fragrant wood
                      in oil to obtain essential oil, which would then be added to other
                      oils or fat.

                      The materials were placed in a piece of cloth which was wrung until
                      the last drop of fragrance had been retrieved. Alternatively they
                      were boiled with oil and water and the oil skimmed off.

                      One of the most famous Egyptian 'perfumes' was made in the city of
                      Mendes in the Delta, whence it was exported to Rome. It consisted of
                      balanos oil, myrrh and resin. Dioscorides adds cassia.

                      The order in which ingredients were added to the oil was important, as
                      the last one imparted the most pungent scent. Theophrastus mentions as
                      an example that if one pound of myrrh is added to half a pint of oil,
                      and at a later stage one third of an ounce of cinnamon was put in, the
                      cinnamon will dominate.

                      The secret of the Egyptian unguent-makers was obviously to know at
                      which precise moment to add the various ingredients, and at which
                      temperature.

                      The Mendesian perfume was known as 'The Egyptian' par excellence.
                      Unlike many others, it was left its natural colour. It had the added
                      advantage of keeping very well: one perfumer in Greece had had a batch
                      in his shop for eight years, and it was even better than the freshly
                      made 'perfume'. Once applied to the skin it lasted well, too. As
                      Theophrastus said: 'A lasting perfume is what women require'. If 'The
                      Egyptian' was found to be too heavily scented, its strong odour could
                      be lightened by being mixed with sweet wine.

                      Metopion was the name of another Egyptian ointment, Metopion being,
                      according to Dioscorides, the Egyptian name of the plant from which
                      galbanum was derived.

                      It consisted of oil from bitter almonds and unripe olives scented with
                      cardamom, sweet rush, sweet flag, honey, wine, myrrh, seed of balsamum,
                      galbanum and turpentine resin.

                      The wine apparently entered the preparations either to soak the herbs,
                      or to give a certain 'point' to the ointment. According to Dioscorides
                      the best Metopion was the one that smelt more of cardamom and myrrh
                      than of galbanum.

                      In medicine the ointment was considered generally mollifying, heat- and
                      sweat-producing, and it was used to 'open the vessels', draw and purge
                      ulcers and to treat cut sinews and muscles.

                      -from:

                      *Perfumes in Ancient Egypt*
                      Edited and prepared by Prof. Hamed A. Ead
                      @The Alchemy Website on Levity.com
                      http://tinyurl.com/3db6dhu

                      "Last, but not least, herbal oils utilized in traditional herbal
                      medicine are all obtained with vegetable oil extraction, the only
                      available method at those times.

                      Similarly, the limited amount of research and clinical trials available
                      today, was conducted using herbal oil obtained by extraction of herbs
                      into the vegetable oils. Therefore, all knowledge of healing effects of
                      herbal oil, acquired over the centuries of trials and mistakes, are
                      applicable only to oil extracts, until proven otherwise.

                      Finally, clinical trials and scientific research demonstrating
                      biological activity, therapeutic efficiency and safety of herbal oil
                      extracts, conducted during last century, were not reproduced with CO2
                      extracts. Thus, at best it remains to be seen, how good CO2 extracts
                      are as a substitute for traditional oil extracts.

                      In summary, herbal oil extract are stable, safe (with proper use) and
                      effective preparations of bioactive herbal ingredients, backed by the
                      history of thousands years of use as herbal medicines and anti-aging
                      cosmetics."

                      -from:

                      *Herbal Oils and Ointments*
                      @FloraLeads
                      http://floraleads.net/oil/

                      *How To Make CANNA-OIL: Healthy MEDICAL MARIJUANA
                      INFUSED COOKING OIL~Easy Recipe!*
                      @YouTube
                      http://tinyurl.com/3dhuxbj

                      *Cannabis Olive Oil Recipe*
                      by Doctor Diane
                      @YouTube
                      http://tinyurl.com/cxoags

                      *How to Make Hemp Oil Fortified
                      & Infused with THC Marijuana*
                      @YouTube
                      http://tinyurl.com/3wu2mzz

                      " Every Angel who is an Archon of the
                      zodiacal sign (/sar mazzal/) of a person
                      when it is sent below has the image of
                      the person who is under it....

                      And this is the meaning of 'And God
                      created man in His image, in the image
                      of God He created him' (Gen. 1:27).

                      Why is [it written] twice, 'in His image'
                      and 'in the image'?

                      One image refers to the image of man and
                      the other to the image of the Angel of
                      the zodiacal sign that is in the image
                      of the man. "

                      ~ from:
                      *Hokhmah ha-Nefesh*,
                      by R. Eleazar of Worms

                      [ Note : /mazzal/ means constellation,
                      planet, planetary influence, destiny,
                      and guardian angel.
                    • Scarlet
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 22, 2011
                        Hi Aaron,

                        It is damn near impossible to get 100 % pure alcohol. Water forms an azeotrope with ethanol so one is always using a water/alcohol mixture for extraction. If you used Everclear then it was probably a 95 % by volume mixture, if you used common vodka then it could be as low as 40 % by volume mixture.

                        Will
                         Love
                          ALWays

                        Scarlet

                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 22, 2011
                          Ah yes - absolutely right! I made no attempt whatsoever to rectify the alcohol first, so it was an alcohol/water mixture after all. Even had I rectified it, I'm sure it would still have had a bit of water.

                          --- In abramelin@yahoogroups.com, Scarlet <lucyfyre@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Aaron,
                          >
                          > It is damn near impossible to get 100 % pure alcohol. Water forms an
                          > azeotrope with ethanol so one is always using a water/alcohol mixture for
                          > extraction. If you used Everclear then it was probably a 95 % by volume
                          > mixture, if you used common vodka then it could be as low as 40 % by volume
                          > mixture.
                          >
                          > Will
                          > Love
                          > ALWays
                          >
                          > Scarlet
                          >
                          > On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 4:05 AM, AaronL <kheph777@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > **
                          > >

                          > > I had heard of using a water/alcohol mixture for the extraction too. I
                          > > considered doing that myself, but stuck with alcohol for this experiment.
                          > >
                          > > Aaron
                          > >
                          > > --- In abramelin@yahoogroups.com, Adam Sod <adamsod72@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Shalom,
                          > > > Since Khem mentioned The Living Torah, I wanted to say that I think that
                          > > the source of those words are originally from the Me'am Lo'ez (original in
                          > > Ladino), which was translated into Heb. in 1967. Kaplan translated it into
                          > > English after that. It is a massive commentary, consisting of (something
                          > > like) 25 encyclopedia size volumes, just on the Torah alone.
                          > > > The only issue I have with those instructions though is that from
                          > > readings about Traditional Chinese Medicine, it is claimed that water and
                          > > alcohol are required to pull the essence out of a plant (etc.) as some of
                          > > them dissolve in water and others in alcohol.
                          > > > Shalom,
                          > > > AdamSod72

                        • zerovector12
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 23, 2011
                            The last time I asked at the liquor store here in NC, the guy said it's illegal to sell Everclear or any liquor that has more than 151. No more 180 proof booze, period. I think he said that was national, not just local. Is that so?

                            LVX,
                            Magus

                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 23, 2011
                              Scarlet doth schreibble :

                              > It is damn near impossible to get 100 % pure alcohol. Water forms an
                              > azeotrope with ethanol so one is always using a water/alcohol mixture
                              > for extraction. If you used Everclear then it was probably a 95 % by
                              > volume mixture, if you used common vodka then it could be as low as 40 %
                              > by volume mixture.

                              Hi, Scarlet ~

                              Just as you say - thoroughly dehydrated ethanol becomes
                              diethyl ether.

                              " Every Angel who is an Archon of the
                              zodiacal sign (/sar mazzal/) of a person
                              when it is sent below has the image of
                              the person who is under it....

                              And this is the meaning of 'And God
                              created man in His image, in the image
                              of God He created him' (Gen. 1:27).

                              Why is [it written] twice, 'in His image'
                              and 'in the image'?

                              One image refers to the image of man and
                              the other to the image of the Angel of
                              the zodiacal sign that is in the image
                              of the man. "

                              ~ from:
                              *Hokhmah ha-Nefesh*,
                              by R. Eleazar of Worms

                              [ Note : /mazzal/ means constellation,
                              planet, planetary influence, destiny,
                              and guardian angel.
                            • The Doctor
                              • marsyas555
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 26, 2011
                                  I live in Queens NY. For years I brought 190% everclear and 195% Spiritus in NJ, Jersey City area.

                                  But in the last few months I noticed they were both being sold in Liquor stores near me here in Queens.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 26, 2011
                                    Greetings!

                                    Hmmmmm... here in Florida I just went to the local liquor store and bought some Everclear. No hoops to jump through at all... I usually try to go with an equivalent generic brand (like ABC brand), but this last time (I didn't go to ABC) the Everclear was all they had on hand.

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 27, 2011
                                      Thanks to all for answering my question. I will have to have someone get some from another state then!

                                      LVX,
                                      Magus

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 19, 2012
                                        Greetings!

                                        I have just updated my blog post on how to make Abramelin Oil with some information I learned during my recent trip to Florida Pagan Gathering. I had a chance to speak with an herbalist and oil maker who was familiar with my process - and had that missing final step I was looking for:

                                        http://aaronleitch.wordpress.com/2011/08/18/making-abramelin-holy-oil/

                                        Just scroll down to the UPDATE at the very bottom.