Ritman Library and Rosicrucians

  • Voltaire07
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 26, 2010
      Aarons statement about the Fama Fraternitatis
      is interesting. I want to acknowledge that You found this
      independently. So please don't feel to be dimished in the
      effort of Yoiur research when I talk about my results.

      In the first german edition of the Book of Abramelin I wrote
      about this fact and gave it up to follow the line in the
      further issue because I had no final prove. Therefore it is
      interesting, that others come to the same conclusion.

      The reason I also mention it now is, that the Rosicrucians
      consider the Abramelin as a predecessor of their idea. Maybe
      just, because of the Arab and Phalestinian part of the
      biography, maybe also by the way of self initiation.

      A leading institution of this movement is the Ritman
      Library, called Bibliotheca Philosophica Hermetica (BHP)
      in Amsterdam. It is in danger of dissolution.
      The following link also contains the whole story and I would
      like to ask You all for signing.

      The BHP contains not only the most important Manuscripts of
      the scene around JV Andreä, it also owns one of the
      Abramelin manuscripts. There is still a catalogue available
      they printed as contributors to a big exhibition made in
      Wolfenbüttel, Germany about 15 years ago.

      The circle which is closed by the important collection of
      this library also touches the person of Nicolas Flamel. He
      writes about an "Abraham the Jew" who made a travel via
      Spain, but very similar to the journey of Abraham. And after
      all, this guy lived in Abraham von Worms' time, born a bit
      earlier, around 1340. He died 1415 or 1418. There's more on
      Wikipedia.

      I started simultaneosly the research on Rosencreutz and
      Flamel, but gave it up then. There were no evident
      correlations but the suggestion coming up to me, that Andreä
      has been inspired by both stories.

      Nicolas Flamel became incredible wealthy within years and
      made donations to churches. Tour Saint Jacques still exists
      and even his house from 1407, which is one of the oldest in
      Paris. He is recommended to have been Alchemist and the
      rumours say that he could produce Gold.

      When I examined Mather's work in the l'Arsenal of Paris,
      comparing with the old manuscript, around 1980, I worked
      more on Flamel, but there was no connection to find. AvW and
      he are both different historical persons who might not have
      known each other. What amazed me was AvW's mastser of paris
      "Jacob" and if he was Flamel or knew him.

      Ian Rons works in english history of the time. As there was
      the 100 year's war, he might be the one to find a prove of
      contacts between Flamel and english people. At least he
      proved me, that the mentioning of the Count of Warwick in
      AvW's work is realistic. They might have met on Konstanz
      Concile in 1417, when Abraham was in the delegation to the
      Pope Martin V.

      So this is some material for Aaron or others who have
      recently more time than me for further research.

      Please consider to join signing Ritman's petition and
      share my Love
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 26, 2010
        Lots of good stuff here, Georg thanks! :) It's a shame that you couldn't find any hard links between Abraham the Jew and the mythological Christian Rosencrutz. The place and timing of each story seem very suggestive, but a documented link would be nice. I'm amazed that not one early Rosicrucian writer seems to have quoted or paraphrased from Abramelin. (Yet, bits and pieces of Abramelin do seem to appear in other grimoires.)

        At this moment I wanted to highlight one specific point from your post: the Ritman Library. The following link has been passing around Facebook over the last few days:

        http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/ritmanlibrary/

        I have signed the petition and encourage everyone in this Group to do the same. It would be horrible to see these vital manuscripts vanish into private collections. :(