Re: abramelin oil- cassia essential oil

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 11, 2010

      --------------------
      Greetings!

      For clarification, let me list the recipes for the Abramelin Oil here:

      German Version:

      1 pt Myrrh
      1 pt Calamus
      1 pt Cassia
      1/2 pt Cinnamon

      1/4 total weight of the above in Olive Oil

      French Version:

      2 pt Cinnamon
      1 pt Myrrh
      1/2 pt Calamus

      1/2 total weight of the above in Olive Oil

      (Note: Cassia is a Cinnamon substitue. When you buy cinnamon in the
      store, it is usually Cassia as real Cinnamon is more expensive. The
      French author seems to have combined the Cassia and Cinnamon into a
      single ingredient.)

      Now on to the issues at hand:

      --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, "Gotteri, Andrew R"
      <andrew.gotteri@...> wrote:

      > Can anyone describe the smell of the oil to me? Is it quite subtle &
      > subdued, rather than heavy and pungent?

      That's a good question. To date, I've been making the oil incorrectly
      thanks to the obscurity of the instruction. I simply mixed the
      ingrediencts as listed in the recipe, without employing the "art of
      the apothecary." The result is a blood-like balm that smells heavily
      of cinnamon and olive oil. ;)

      Applying the "art of the apothecary" was a problem. If we mix
      essential oils according to the given measurements, we end up with a
      *very* dangerous substance that can burn the skin and eyes. In a
      mixture of essential oils, the Olive Oil should be the carrier, not
      the ingredient of smallest amount.

      Yet, the recipe is based on one given in the Bible (Exodus 30), and
      that oil was poured quite liberally over the heads of Priests. For
      the whole argument, see the Wikipedia entry:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abramelin_oil

      Wikipedia *almost* comes to a logical conclusion. The idea, they
      suggest, is to pour the Olive Oil directly into the dry ingredients
      (which I had done myself), let it macerate for a while and then decant
      the oil. I had never taken that last step- but for good reason. The
      amount of Olive Oil is *one-half* the weight of the dry ingredients.
      Or, in the German version, a mere *one-fourth*! At those proportions,
      there is no way to press the oil back out of the mixture.

      Apparently the same goes for the recipe in Exodus. According to this guy:

      http://horusset.com/RIKB/abramelin.pdf

      the Talmud admits that the amount of Olive Oil required would not have
      even wet all of the dry ingredients. So decanting is just out.

      At this point, I do believe that essential oils are ultimately
      intended, with the Olive Oil as the carrier:

      The measurement for the Olive Oil is given by weight (rather than by
      volume), so it seems likely the other ingredients are measured by
      weight as well. I suggest combining the dry ingredients as listed in
      the book, weigh the mixture, and then weigh out one quarter (or one
      half) that much Olive Oil.

      Then, put the dry mixture through alchemical extraction (the "art of
      the apothecary"), so that you end up with a single essential oil made
      of cinnamon, cassia, calamus and myrrh. (You could extract them all
      separately - but I feel that would just add unecessary steps to the
      process. Plus, there could be important chemical reactions that take
      place while the combined mixture is macerating.)

      This extracted oil will now weigh less than the Olive Oil. So now the
      Olive Oil will serve as a proper (and safe!) carrier for the essential
      oil.

      That's my take on the subject so far. :) Once I run the extraction
      and produce a proper Holy Oil, I'll post my results.

      -----------------
      Greetings!

      It's cool that you've brought this up, as I'm gearing up to make a new
      batch of Abramelin Oil - and this will be the first time I've used the
      full extraction process to do it.

      In past (non-Abramelin) extractions, I have utilized a very simple
      "refluxer" made from a large stew-pot with a convex lid. You place a
      jar in the pot to collect the extract (Sulfur/Mercury), and suspend
      the prime matter (Salt) *above* the jar in a strainer. Then pour the
      alcohol into the stew-pot. Place the convex lid on the stew-pot
      *upside down*, so it is concave instead. Set the stew-pot on a low
      heat. (It is also best to rotate ice packs in the concave lid, or use
      a system to pump cold water into it continually.) The alcohol will
      evaporate, condense on the cool lid, drip directly into the prime
      matter and collect in the jar. It will then evaporate again to repeat
      the process.

      This will circulate the alcohol through the prime matter again and
      again, extracting the Sulfur (and the Mercury with it), which collects
      in the jar as an elixir. You can then reduce the elixir a bit more by
      placing it into a Bath of Mary (double-boiler) to evaporate some of
      the excess alcohol. If you then add the result to an oil carrier,
      you've got an anointing Oil.

      For the Abramelin Oil, I'm going to try mixing the dry ingredients
      together and refluxing them in one batch.

      -----------------

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 11, 2010
        You can get cassia at any grocery store.  They sell it as "cinnamon".  I recommend using that instead of the essential oil.  The Abramelin oil made with essential oil is definitely not the same!  Also back in Abramelin's time, they weren't making cinnamon into essential oil yet.

        I would agree with calamus.

        On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 2:44 AM, ren <renny_gooneragee@...> wrote:

        here is my situation at the present;

        i have sourced myrrh resin, calmus root powder, cinnamon bark, and olive oil.

        the problem is...that i could only get cassia essential oil, and so i dont know how much to use when i make the oil.

        i have decided myself after research that galangal was a mistake in the recipe so im using the calmus root powder.

        but can anyone advise me on how much cassia essential oil to add to the preperation?

        thanks

        ren

        "When a thing is hidden away with so much pains, merely to repeal it is to destroy it." Tertullian
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 11, 2010
          They are very similar, but real cinnamon tastes soooo much better!  I would love to make some cinnamon buns with that wonderful organic Cylon cinnamon, mmmmm :).  With the oil, just don't use it straight to anoint your chackras or something lol.

          On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 8:31 PM, ren <renny_gooneragee@...> wrote:

          --- In abramelin@yahoogroups.com, Athena <oipteaapdoce@...> wrote:

          > You can get cassia at any grocery store. They sell it as "cinnamon". I
          > recommend using that instead of the essential oil. The Abramelin oil made
          > with essential oil is definitely not the same! Also back in Abramelin's
          > time, they weren't making cinnamon into essential oil yet.
          >
          > I would agree with calamus.

          > On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 2:44 AM, ren <renny_gooneragee@...> wrote:
          >

          > > here is my situation at the present;
          > >
          > > i have sourced myrrh resin, calmus root powder, cinnamon bark, and olive
          > > oil.
          > >
          > > the problem is...that i could only get cassia essential oil, and so i dont
          > > know how much to use when i make the oil.
          > >
          > > i have decided myself after research that galangal was a mistake in the
          > > recipe so im using the calmus root powder.
          > >
          > > but can anyone advise me on how much cassia essential oil to add to the
          > > preperation?
          > >
          > > thanks
          > >
          > > ren
          > >

          > --
          > Odo cicle qaa
          >
          > "When a thing is hidden away with so much pains, merely to repeal it is to
          > destroy it." Tertullian

          thanks Athena...i see what you mean how cassia and cinnamon is very similar or even given the same name . ill just keep the cassia oil anyways who knows what use it may have later .

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 12, 2010
            You don't really have to use that refluxing idea. That just wrings more of the essential ingredients out of the plant material than normal. You could certainly get away with just macerating the plant material in grain alchohol for a week or so, then boiling that down in a Bath of Mary.

            The Bath of Mary, by the way, is just a pot of boiling water with a smaller pot- containing your elixer- sitting inside of it. I use an old stove-top tea-kettle for this. I remove its lid, fill it with water, and place a glass bowl on top of it where the lid would normally go. The great thing about this is that the kettle's spout diverts all of the steam out and away from the glass bowl, so it does not contaminate the elixer.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 12, 2010
              --- In abramelin@yahoogroups.com, "ren" <renny_gooneragee@...> wrote:

              > i must admit...i have no clue as to what the "art of apocathery" would mean about how im supposed to mix the ingrediants...

              All that stuff I told you about refluxing, macerating, Baths of Mary, etc - all of that is the Art of the Apothocary. That Art is bascially plant-alchemy, extracting medicines and other essentials out of plant material.

              > can you tell me what method you used? Aaron's distillation sounds like i will need to buy equipment and i dont think i have enough money or time...my friend turns 50 and he needs to start by the equinox...

              No you won't have to buy much. You saw how I made my Bath of Mary- a tea-kettle and a glass bowl. And even if you want to use the refluxer, you just need to buy a large stew-pot with a convex lid. I'm all about "kitchen alchemy" - lol

              As for the Equinox - I would suggest beginning in the Spring as the instructions tell you. Abramelin is a Solar Rite, and it is supposed to begin when the Sun begins to wax (the days get longer) and it closes when the Sun begins to wane. (Even in the 18-month version.)

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 12, 2010
                LOL Ok then you're going the right direction. I hadn't considered you were writing from Oz. :)

                --- In abramelin@yahoogroups.com, "ren" <renny_gooneragee@...> wrote:

                > aha i see...yes in australia the equinox is very soon...it falls in september here.
                >
                > thankyou
              • marsyas555
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 12, 2010
                  From what I understand in plant alchemy, macerating material in alcohol yields a 'fixed' oil/sulfur which is highly carcinogenic. Although it might have a nice enough scent I'm not so certain it would be something anyone would want to inhale copiously. However Id imagine any copious amount of smoke is not healthy anyway.

                  Usually that fixed oil/tar/resin is incinerated and its ashes leached for a fixed salt of 'sulfur'. The essential oils, generally arrived at through steam distillation, are the volatile oils/sulfur, and I'd assume this is what we want.

                  Just respectfully chiming in on this point, maybe I'm mistaken though.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 12, 2010
                    --- In abramelin@yahoogroups.com, "marsyas555" <marsyas555@...> wrote:

                    > From what I understand in plant alchemy, macerating material in alcohol yields a 'fixed' oil/sulfur which is highly carcinogenic. Although it might have a nice enough scent I'm not so certain it would be something anyone would want to inhale copiously.

                    Hmmmmm.... I'm not sure I can guess why anyone might want to inhale their Abramelin Holy Oil...?

                    > Just respectfully chiming in on this point, maybe I'm mistaken though.

                    I'm suspecting you confused this discussion with the one about Abramelin incense. ;)

                  • marsyas555
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 12, 2010
                      lol, you're right I was confusing the two. So yea in which case I suppose the fixed oil would do ok enough....interesting.