Congress Will Take Up Embryonic Stem Cell Research Bill Next Week

  • Steven Ertelt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2007
      Congress Will Take Up Embryonic Stem Cell Research Bill Next Week
      http://www.lifenews.com/bio1936.html

      by Steven Ertelt
      LifeNews.com Editor
      January 3, 2007

      Washington, DC (LifeNews.com) -- The House of Representatives is
      scheduled to take up a measure next week to force taxpayers to
      fund embryonic stem cell research. On Thursday, January 11, the
      House will debate overturning President Bush's limits on spending
      public funds on the research, which has never cured any patients.
      This is the second time Congress has attempted to require
      taxpayer funding for the unproven research.

      Last May the House voted for the bill by a vote of 238 to 194 but
      President Bush vetoed the measure in July.

      It crosses a moral boundary that our decent society needs to
      respect, the president said at the time.

      He pointed to the use of adult stem cells, which the Bush
      administration has spent hundreds of millions of dollars
      promoting, as a more ethical and effective alternative because no
      life is destroyed in the process of collecting the cells and they
      have already developed cures.

      The House failed to achieve a two-thirds override vote shortly
      after the veto as it voted for the measure 235-193 -- some
      fifty-one votes short of the two-thirds needed.

      Since the votes, advocates of embryonic stem cell research, which
      has yet to help any human patients and experienced numerous
      problems in animals, gained numerous seats in the House. However,
      it appears they may not have enough necessary to override a
      second presidential veto.

      The Senate also was short in having enough votes to override but
      that may have changed because of the November election results.

      Richard Doerflinger, deputy director of the U.S. bishops
      Secretariat for Pro-Life Activities, says he doesn't think there
      are enough votes in the House to override a second veto.

      He told the National Catholic Register that pro-life advocates
      need to begin campaigning now to urge Congress to oppose the
      funding bill.

      Besides our own letters and fact sheets to Congress, the most
      important thing is hearing from their constituents back home,
      said Doerflinger.

      Pro-life groups are continuing their efforts to oppose embryonic
      stem cell research because days-old unborn children must be
      killed in the process of obtaining their stem cells for studies.

      We will be encouraging Catholics to write to their elected
      representatives, saying that they don't want their tax dollars
      used for this destructive purpose," Doerflinger said.

      ACTION: Call your member of Congress at 202-224-3121 and urge
      strong opposition to the embryonic stem cell research funding
      bill. You can find specific contact information for your elected
      officials at http://www.house.gov

      ______
      Pro-Life Bulletins for Sanctity of Human Life Sunday

      NEW Bulletin Inserts for Sanctity of Human Life! Choose from any
      of our 10 bulletin inserts for only $7.00 for 100! Our 2 NEW
      inserts plus our 6 updated inserts are perfect to share the
      pro-life message on this 34th anniversary of Roe-v-Wade.
      Click here to order:
      http://www.hh76.com/pro_life_products.asp?group_id=61&c=T11L