Michael Schiavo Attacks Pro-Life Advocates, Says Terri Should Have Died Sooner

  • Steven Ertelt
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2006
      Michael Schiavo Attacks Pro-Life Advocates, Says Terri Should
      Have Died Sooner
      http://www.lifenews.com/bio1482.html

      by Steven Ertelt
      LifeNews.com Editor
      May 1, 2006

      Philadelphia, PA (LifeNews.com) -- Michael Schiavo told a
      bioethics conference at the University of Pennsylvania that he
      should have pressed for his former wife Terri's euthanasia death
      sooner than he did. He also attacked pro-life advocates who he
      says have constantly attacked him and his character.
      Michael told those at the conference that bioethicists, church
      leaders and other have no right to intervene in a familial
      dispute about someone's lifesaving medical treatment.

      He said he regretted not speaking out in favor of euthanizing her
      sooner.

      ''In retrospect, I guess I should have spoken out in the very
      beginning, but I had no idea it was going to get so big and that
      the other side was going to run away with it,'' he said,
      according to an AP report.

      Michael also attacked pro-life news services like LifeNews.com
      and other pro-life advocates who have closely followed the
      difficult plight of Terri's family to prevent their daughter's
      painful death and to protect disabled people from a similar fate.

      ''Every day, the pro-life blogs continue to bash me, as they are
      outside today,'' Schiavo said.

      In fact, a large contingent of pro-life advocates protested
      outside of the University of Pennsylvania campus, host of the
      bioethics conference.

      "We are going to this symposium to say that Terri Schiavo did not
      die with dignity," Brandi Swindell, director of the youth
      pro-life group Generation Life, said about protesting the
      conference. "Rather, she died a barbaric death that if she were
      an animal would have been against the law."

      "The lesson we must learn from Terri's tragic death is that as a
      nation we must learn to treat the weakest of our society with
      compassion and justice," she added.

      The conference, called "The Legacy of the Terri Schiavo Case: Why
      is it so hard to die in America" has already come under attack as
      a one-sided look at end of life issues.

      Edel Finnegan, a spokesperson for the Pro-life Union, a
      Pennsylvania-based pro-life group, told LifeNews.com in a
      statement, "It is a total outrage that the University of
      Pennsylvania is celebrating the cruel murder of Terri Schiavo, an
      inspirational and courageous woman."

      "The 10th Anniversary Symposium is a one-sided event that
      attempts to give credibility to the murderous actions of Michael
      Schiavo and Judge Greer," he explained. "We are standing witness
      to remember Terri and all the other disabled Americans whose
      lives are threatened by activist judges like George Greer and
      selfish family members like Michael Schiavo."

      Bobby Schindler, Terri's brother, will appear the conference and
      protest Greer's appearance, according to a statement sent to
      LifeNews.com. He said he was upset that Circuit Court Judge
      George Greer, who ordered Terri's euthanasia death at Michael's
      request, will address attendees.

      "Judge Geers presence at the University of Pennsylvania's
      bioethics conference is not only outright offensive and
      inappropriate but it is indicative of his own biases against the
      disabled," Schindler said.

      "We are entitled to a fair and unbiased judiciary," Schindler
      added. "Judge Greer is confirming exactly what my family has
      maintained from the beginning of Terri's case that he has a
      disposition against the vulnerable people whose cases he
      controls."

      The Penn bioethics conference runs from April 30 through May 1
      and not only features Greer, but Terri's former husband Michael
      Schiavo and Jay Wolfson, appointed as Terri's guardian ad litem
      for a short time.

      Since Terri's euthanasia death, Schindler and the rest of his
      family have headed up the Terri Schindler Schiavo Foundation, a
      group to help disabled patients. Bobby and his sister Suzanne
      Vitadamo gave her full-time jobs to work at the center.

      Meanwhile, Michael formed a political group to target pro-life
      lawmakers who sided with Terri's family during the legal battle.

      ______
      Register Now for The Pro-Life Event of the Year!

      National Right to Lifes 33rd Annual Convention will be in
      Nashville June 22, 23 and 24. Nationally-recognized keynote
      speakers writer/Fox News contributor Fred Barnes, pollster/Fox
      News contributor Kellyanne Conway and actress/model/National
      Silent No More Awareness Campaign Spokeswoman Jennifer ONeill
      will highlight this incredible event. Dozens of workshops will be
      presented by the leading experts in the pro-life movement on
      topics ranging from education to legislation, organization to
      political action, stem-cell research to abortion to euthanasia
      and everything in between. Bring your entire family! The National
      Teens for Life Convention will run concurrently and on-site
      childcare is available. For more information or to register,
      call 202-378-8842 or go to http://www.nrlc.org/convention