Presidential Candidate Gephardt Vows to Pick Pro-Abortion Judges

  • right2life@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2003
      --------------------
      From:  The Pro-Life Infonet <infonet@...>
      Subject:   Presidential Candidate Gephardt Vows to Pick Pro-Abortion Judges
      Source:   St. Louis Post Dispatch; June 8, 2003

      Presidential Candidate Gephardt Vows to Pick Pro-Abortion Judges

      Washington, DC -- Missouri Congressman Richard Gephardt said Sunday that he
      would appoint Supreme Court justices who would preserve Roe v. Wade, and
      appears he will make it a litmus test if he were elected president.

      When asked whether he would appoint a nominee who would overturn the Roe
      decision, Gephardt said, "I don't think I would, because I'd put on people who had
      proper respect for the precedents of the court, and the court has said that
      choice is the law of the land."

      Gephardt made the comments in an appearance on CBS' "Face the Nation." He
      also said that if elected, he would sign legislation banning partial-birth
      abortions -- only if it included an exception for the health of the mother. Pro-life
      organziations oppose such an exception because it renders the law meaningless
      by allowing abortion practitioners to determine that any abortion is
      "necessary" to protect a woamn's mental or physical "health."

      Gephardt opposed abortion early in his Congressional career, but changed his
      position as he rose to national prominence within the Democratic Party. He
      stated his support for abortion before his first presidential run in 1988.

      At a NARAL fundraising dinner in January attended by all of the Democratic
      presidential candidates, Gephardt explained how he changed his position on the
      issue in 1986 after 10 years in Congress. He said his Baptist upbringing taught
      him abortion was morally wrong, but some women who had had abortions
      convinced him it was a choice for them to make with God.

      ``There is nothing moral in strong-arming a personal belief, and there is
      nothing moral to a presidency that imposes personal morality through acts of
      government power,'' he said.

      Gephardt said he favored passing a federal law to guarantee abortion rights
      even if the Supreme Court should overturn the Roe decision.

      ---
      Life Cycle Books is North America's premier source of
      pro-life and abstinence before marriage educational materials.
      For the lowest prices and widest selection of materials -
      including over 300 items exclusive to us - visit our web site
      http://www.lifecyclebooks.com or call us at 1-800-214-5849 for a
      free copy of our 48 page printed catalog.