Re: [Abortion Debaters] Bye. :(

  • blinkbonny
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2002
      I don't get this. Clint SAYS he wants us to come up with a credible
      argument to change his mind about abortion. Which we have given him,
      time and time again. But then he refuses to listen! Basically, his
      replies boil down to "Ha, ha, I'm smarter than you." (I've seen this
      tactic used in the abortion debate chat rooms more times than I've
      had a job which pays well :-P) If Clint really knew as much about
      debating a he claims to, he would know debates, per se, usually DON'T
      change people's minds.
      He didn't really want to learn, his goal was just to beat anyone who
      disagreed with him over the head with his self-righteous attitude.---
      > \\

    • justphilanthrope
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2003
        Disclaimer: I don't claim to be an expert. The stuff in this e-
        mail could be false. Use it at your own risk, if at all.

        It has been about a year since I left rather abruptly. I'm finally
        replying to this objection. I finally explained my reasons at:

        That, along with my replies below, should do, I think.

        --- In abortiondebaters@yahoogroups.com, blinkbonny <no_reply@y...>
        wrote:
        > I don't get this. Clint SAYS he wants us to come up with a
        credible
        > argument to change his mind about abortion. Which we have given
        him,
        > time and time again. But then he refuses to listen! Basically,
        his
        > replies boil down to "Ha, ha, I'm smarter than you."

        I don't believe that I ever said that I was smart here.

        (I've seen this
        > tactic used in the abortion debate chat rooms more times than I've
        > had a job which pays well :-P) If Clint really knew as much about
        > debating a he claims to, he would know debates, per se, usually
        DON'T
        > change people's minds.

        Actually, debates usually don't change OTHER people's minds. I came
        here at that time to see if my own mind needed changing, though. I
        may seem unusual, but debates HAVE changed MY mind in the past.

        > He didn't really want to learn, his goal was just to beat anyone
        who
        > disagreed with him over the head with his self-righteous attitude.-

        Not true. I really wanted to learn. I explained why in the link.
        And, I don't see how my attitude could be "self-righteous" when I
        admit to paying taxes to a U.S. government which seems to give its
        blessing and protection to these abortion-practioners.

        I'm still pro-life, by the way. But, I never came here to change
        other people's viewpoints, as I recall. I still didn't. I just
        thought that I would drop by and finally reply and explain my
        unusual actions. Follow the link for the explanation, if you choose
        to do so. It's really not important, but I think I have a right to
        try to answer accusers. :)