Re: [abolishhorseslaughtercanada] Re: Horse Rescues and the CHDC

  • colleen wozney
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2008
      Sinikka
      Well I also have the same unanswered questions. What are the permanent solutions? It would seem to me that the rescues should be left standing at the end of the day, with as much support and cooperation as possible. Because, "where will the horses go? if we have no rescues. I donnot believe we should use scare tactics and threaten the recsue operators ;  rather than answer the questions. I support Paradise Stable Horse Rescue and I do it for the horses not for a charitable receipt. I also feel many other people have the same opinion. I strongly suggest that you change your tactics and be more of a support and team player , as we all are on the same team!. And all want to save the horse at  the end of the day.

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2008
        I urge  everybody to go to www.freewebs.com/paradisestableshorserescue  and read the blog. I am ashamed of what the coalition wrote to Paradise Stable Horse Rescue .

        <sgrainger2434@ ...> wrote:

        > My point re: the CFIA and Min of AG was that it was the Coalition
        who exposed the cruel treatment of horses at Natural Valley Farms -
        not for one minute would I any or anyone else think it is not up to
        all Canadians to demand these agencies answer for their actions or
        lack of actions.
        > "A house divided against itself cannot stand."

      • sinikka_777
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 2, 2008
          Hi Colleen,
          Responding with the truth is not a scare tactic. In our database the
          Coalition will include excellent rescues/sanctuaries that are willing
          to pull together in this cause. Postings with subject headers
          like "misappropriated funds 4 horses" can be interpreted as libelous,
          and they do nothing to help our goal of stopping horse slaughter.
          Let me be very clear. The Canadian Horse Defense Coalition is an
          umbrella group for organizations and individuals who wish to work
          together to end horse slaughter. We are comprised of animal welfare
          groups, horse groups, private citizens, etc. AT NO TIME has our
          mandate included giving out funds for individual rescue operations.
          However, we do recognize that rescue is an integral part of this
          picture and when horse slaughter ends in Canada, rescue facilities
          will become even more crucial. At that point, the coalition's mandate
          will have been fulfilled, and its energies will be used to organize
          funding for rescues. (As mentioned, TRACS continues to help out
          selected sanctuaries as funds permit BECAUSE its mandate is RESCUE.
          The coalition's mandate at this time is NOT rescue.)
          Hopefully that helps to clarify our position. Colleen, if you and
          Elizabeth have any concise ideas of how CHDC might help rescue
          organizations attain their goals, please feel free to write to me or
          to post these ideas. But please remember that we do not have funds
          to give at this point. We can only work on initiatives that would
          facilitate rescue.
          Thanks,
          Sinikka

          --- In abolishhorseslaughtercanada@yahoogroups.com, colleen wozney
          <pufferlady@...> wrote:

          > I urge  everybody to go to
          www.freewebs.com/paradisestableshorserescue  and read the blog. I am
          ashamed of what the coalition wrote to Paradise Stable Horse Rescue .

          CHDC
          > To: abolishhorseslaught ercanada@ yahoogroups. com
          > Date: Sunday, August 31, 2008, 7:28 PM
          >

          > To support what Shelley is saying here, the mandate of Canadian
          Horse
          > Defense Coalition is exactly as stated--we are striving to end the
          > practice of horse slaughter in Canada. Achieving such legislation
          > would automatically make breeders and horse keepers more
          accountable,
          > thus reducing the supply of excess horses over the long term. We
          are
          > seeking PERMANENT solutions. In the meantime, we applaud rescue
          > groups for their efforts and are in fact researching long-term
          > initiatives that may help rescues with their crucial work. CHDC is
          > neither a non-profit organization nor a charity, so our funds are
          > limited, and what donations we do receive are placed toward
          > strategies that will help end horse slaughter. Hence, investigative
          > and public awareness work such as the CBC documentary, No Country
          for
          > Horses, have been achieved. I would like to clarify that CHDC does
          > not have the resources to fund rescue organizations. You may wish
          > read about the work of TRACS (The Responsible Animal Care Society,
          > www.tracs-bc. ca ), a B.C.-based charity that has an established
          > reputation as a hands-on rescue. TRACS has rescued and re-homed
          > hundreds of at-risk horses since 1994. As funds permit, TRACS has
          > also helped to pay for veterinary expenses and fencing projects at
          > rescue facilities so that more animals can be helped.
          > I encourage serious rescue organizations to seek non-profit status
          in
          > their province, and also to obtain charitable status under Revenue
          > Canada as TRACS has done. Many donors expect a tax deductible
          > receipt in return for their contributions, so this increases the
          > donor pool. The waiting list for charitable status appears to be at
          > least a year long, so the sooner applications are submitted, the
          > sooner this resource can be used.
          > Sinikka Crosland
          > --- In abolishhorseslaught ercanada@ yahoogroups. com, SHELLEY
          GRAINGER
          > <sgrainger2434@ ...> wrote:
          > >
          > > My point re: the CFIA and Min of AG was that it was the Coalition
          > who exposed the cruel treatment of horses at Natural Valley Farms -
          > not for one minute would I any or anyone else think it is not up to
          > all Canadians to demand these agencies answer for their actions or
          > lack of actions.
          > > "A house divided against itself cannot stand."

        • colleen wozney
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 2, 2008
            Sinnika, Elizabeth never used the subject heading misappropriated funds for horses. That was from a different posting about a rescue in the states.

            <pufferlady@ ...> wrote:

            > I urge  everybody to go to
            www.freewebs. com/paradisestab leshorserescue  and read the blog. I am
            ashamed of what the coalition wrote to Paradise Stable Horse Rescue .

          • colleen wozney
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 2, 2008
              Hi Sinnika; Elizabeth never used thwe heading "misappropriated funds 4 horses' in her posting. That was from another posting to this site from the U. S.

              <pufferlady@ ...> wrote:

              > I urge  everybody to go to
              www.freewebs. com/paradisestab leshorserescue  and read the blog. I am
              ashamed of what the coalition wrote to Paradise Stable Horse Rescue .

            • colleen wozney
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 2, 2008
                Sinnika,     In response to your abrupt rebuttal to my statement I think you owe Paradise Stable Horse Rescue a public apology. In my opinion the libelous card that you are playing can be turned on you for saying that Elizabeth posted the statement "misappropriated funds 4 horses "when in fact it was clearly posted by Planeta Animal regarding an issue in the U.S. Elizabeth was just on that thread replying to you. Im sure that you will see the errors in your response and rectify this matter promptly so that we all most importantly may continue to fight for the horses together.

                <pufferlady@ ...> wrote:

                > I urge  everybody to go to
                www.freewebs. com/paradisestab leshorserescue  and read the blog. I am
                ashamed of what the coalition wrote to Paradise Stable Horse Rescue .

              • sinikka_777
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 3, 2008
                  My apologies, Elizabeth, for thinking that your subject heading
                  referred to the coalition. You did make comments about coalition
                  funds being used for purposes other than hands-on rescue, and because
                  your tone seemed accusatory, a number of us on this forum felt that
                  you were drawing unfair parallels. I'm glad that this has been
                  clarified as not being the case.
                  Now hopefully we can all carry on with our work for the horses, no
                  matter how we choose to do that work. Individual rescues are
                  important, as is the bigger goal of ending horse slaughter. The
                  coalition's focus must remain on that bigger goal, but we applaud the
                  people who are concentrating on salvaging individual lives.