Re: [abcusers] Re: Musical Notation Algorithms

  • Calum Galleitch
    Message 1 of 40 , Jun 1, 2007
      On 5/31/07, Phil Taylor <aar09@...> wrote:

      > At the moment, BarFly uses a fixed spacing, spreading out the symbols
      > to fill the available space (except for the last line which can be
      > shortened if it only contains a few notes). This is not ideal, and I'd
      > like to move to semi-proportional spacing, where long notes get a bit
      > more space to draw attention to them and short notes get placed closer
      > together. Obviously you don't want fully proportional spacing, where a
      > whole note gets sixteen times as much space as a sixteenth note. The
      > relationship needs to be non-linear, e.g. you might make the spacing
      > proportional to the square root of the note length. Anyone know what
      > the conventional rule for music engraving is here?

      I think the best approach is the TeX way, where each symbol has three
      associated spacing values - max, optimum, and min. The spacings for a
      line as requested by the user are summed and if the sum exceeds
      min/max then the space allocated to each symbolis adjusted according
      to the optimum.

      Cheers,
      Calum
    • Ewan A. Macpherson
      Message 40 of 40 , Jun 7, 2007
        On 7 Jun 2007 at 12:49, Jean-Francois Moine wrote:

        > On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 01:05:34 +0200, "David Prior"
        > <david@...> wrote:
        > [snip]
        > >Anyway, I'd meant to say that I tend to use the %%alignbars option
        > > (which I believe uses the multivoice code), and in my opinion
        > > gracenotes in the tune below (for example) take up too much space
        > [snip]
        >
        > Spacing seems fine for me ;), but anyway, I will add an option to
        > adjust it.

        Thanks, Jef. It would be useful to adjust how much space is added
        before and after gracenotes.

        Even more useful to me would be to be able to control _whether_ any
        space is added at all. It is rarely the case that a single gracenote
        would not fit easily between two melody notes without any added
        space, and not adding the space would preserve the uniformity of the
        spacing of the melody notes. For example, in

        L:1/8
        {g}A{d}A{e}A ecA | {g}A{d}ce {g}dB{G}A |

        one (I!) might like all the melody notes to have the same spacing.

        Might I suggest a command like %%gracespaceignore N
        where N means that a grouping of N or fewer gracenotes is not
        provided with any extra space? If there are collisions between
        gracenotes and preceding notes, they could be fixed manually using
        the y spacing mechanism.

        As always, thanks for your great work with abcm2ps!

        cheers,
        Ewan