Re: [abcusers] Why I like ABC

  • John Chambers
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 6, 2007
      Actually, this is the main reason that my ABC Tune Finder site only deals with
      ABC so far.  It's the only online music format I've found that 1) has enough music
      available to be worth the effort of programming, and 2) can be parsed easily
      without a huge effort.  I've looked around for other usable formats.  I've considered
      adding Lilypond and Rosegarden to the list, because they both have published
      syntaxes that don't look to horrible.  But so far, neither seems to have enough
      music online to be worth the effort (more than for ABC) to write the parser. And
      getting converters to all the formats that I currently deliver is also questionable.
      Similarly, neither of the XML music encodings seems yet to be in use enough
      to make the effort worthwhile.

      Of course, this is just a comment from one programmer writing one package
      that a few people find useful.  Others' mileage could vary a lot.  And some people
      do seem to find the fancy proprietary encodings worthwhile for their own uses.
      They just aren't very useful if you want to share your music with others or write
      your own software to do something with the music.

      On 4/6/07, Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym@...> wrote:

      Somthing that may not be totally obvious but is nonetheless important,
      abc, being text tokens, is easily open to analysis through common
      text-processing tools (you don't have to be an expert MIDI-protocol
      programmer to write abc analysis or abc generator software) and can
      be stored, searched and retreived with common database tools.

      just try putting your MIDI or Cakewalk files into a spreadsheet :)

      --
      Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym at teledyn.com> =============================
      www.teledyn.com - blog.teledyn.com - justus.teledyn.com - sbp.teledyn.com