Re: [abcusers] (unknown)

  • Jim C
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 26, 2007
      Here are a few items.

      Because I don't even have to have an abc program to use it. I can
      convert it on the web.

      http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html

      Because I can search the web using JC's ABC tune finder
      http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/tunefind

      because I can control the print out better with it than with Tabledit
      that I also own, and use.

      Because it can repeat seamlessly instead of having a pause at the end
      while it goes back to the beginning, the way Tabledit does.

      Because I can make it it sound better than with band in a box, which I
      already own, but gave up on it when I couldn't get it to add backing
      tracks so they would sound right.

      Because I can keep many tunes in one abc file and make special files to
      have music for a gig.

      Because several of the ABC tunes will search all the files for a
      specific tune, instead of having to search them all.

      Because the files are compact and can be emailed to band members as
      regular email without making them an attachment.

      Because others don't have to own any software to use them. They can use
      the concertina site to hear something I send them.

      Because a tune that I transcribed 8 years ago will still play on the
      current ABC software. (Anyone still use Songwrite?)

      Because I can import or export between abc format programs and other
      format programs.

      I remember on program that I bought and tried out, but I couldn't
      exchange the tunes with any other program. I ended up giving it to my
      nephew.

      I use mostly ABC2WIN, ABCMUS, ABCTools, ABCEDIT, Tabledit

      I've tried several others but the these I like.

      Mark Hall wrote:

      > Hello all,
      > I am writing a thesis relating to 'abc', and I would like to know why
      > you use 'abc' as apposed to alternative notation software?
      > Your responses and opinions would be welcomed and may be used with your
      > permission.
      > Thanks, mjh

      > What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of
      > your email personality. Take the quiz at the Yahoo! Mail Championship
      > <http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/mail/uk/taglines/default/championships/quiz/*http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://mail.yahoo.net/uk/>.

    • Geoffrey Loker
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 27, 2007
        On 3/26/07, Mark Hall <hallmark7328@...> wrote:
        > I am writing a thesis relating to 'abc', and I would like to know why you use 'abc' as apposed to alternative notation software?

        It's easy to learn and easy to use. Software for it is fairly readily
        available, but you can use it without any software. Much of the
        software for it is free, or not very expensive. It is quite powerful,
        while being fairly simple.

        It is also reasonably intuitive. I created my own very simple version
        of it years before I first came across it, and it was exciting to
        discover a much more powerful version of my simplistic notation.

        Geoff Loker
      • MusiKatz
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 27, 2007
          Good Morning:
          Abcusers have many similar reasons for using abc software.
          We probably differ in our choice of a particular abc application.
          Currently I prefer Abcedit.
          Straightforward text editor, midi-playback, PDF score . . .
          Other than abc most programs are difficult to learn & expensive.
          Alternate programs do not have the support that the abc community has.
          I suspect it has something to do with the universal use of abc in the
          exchange of public domain music.