  • Mark Hall
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 26, 2007
      Hello all,
      I am writing a thesis relating to 'abc', and I would like to know why you use 'abc' as apposed to alternative notation software?
      Your responses and opinions would be welcomed and may be used with your permission.
      Thanks, mjh

    • Atte AndrĂ© Jensen
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 26, 2007
        Mark Hall wrote:

        > I am writing a thesis relating to 'abc', and I would like to know why
        > you use 'abc' as apposed to alternative notation software?

        * I really like the flexibility in abc (placement of accidentals, any
        number of beats in a 4/4 bar, stuff like that), it's the closest I've
        seen to a piece of music paper.

        * It produces nice quality prints (abcm2ps)

        * It's fast and has small file size

        * You can do so many things with text format, for instance I did
        http://www.lovsangsmappen.dk that does on-the-fly transposition, format
        conversion of a selection of files. I'm also warming up to write a
        beagle plugin that'll allow search of contour ("if you can whistle it
        (or a fragment of it) you can find it")

        * I can change the layout of all my scores in one place

        * I accumulated over 1500 tunes in abc

        * Since I'm running linux, all the commercial big ones are either not
        available to me or would be inconvenient to run. But actually I'm not
        sure (from what I heard from my winfriends) I would ever have the
        patience to struggle with finale to make it do what I need

        --
        peace, love & harmony
        Atte

        http://www.atte.dk | quintet: http://www.anagrammer.dk
        | compositions: http://www.atte.dk/compositions
      • Martin Tarenskeen
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 26, 2007
          On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Mark Hall wrote:

          > Hello all, I am writing a thesis relating to 'abc', and I would like to
          > know why you use 'abc' as apposed to alternative notation software? Your
          > permission. Thanks, mjh

          I like the idea of text based music notation software. I only need a good
          editor (I use vim on my Linux box) to get started. Sibelius and Finale are
          great, but expensive and not what I need.

          I can make really fine scores with abcm2ps. There are alternatives that I
          can use like Mup ( which I also like and use ) and Lilypond ( which seems
          to have a lot of power ). But what makes ABC special is that it is, more
          than these alternatives, quite human-readable. A simple song that is
          notated in ABC can be played or sung by a human being, not only by a
          computer.

          --

          Martin
        • Steve Langford
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 26, 2007
            X:999 % number
            T:Snippet of Unknown Tune % title
            C:Unknown Composer; Traditional Irish? % composer
            O:at a Workshop % origin.
            M:C % meter
            L:1/8 % length of shortest note
            K:D % key
            N:Dorian E? % key
            |E3FEDB,A, | B,EEDEGFE | D3EDB,A,B, | DEFABdAF |

            Any and all possible information would be greatly appreciated.

            Thanks! :-)

            -Steve-
          • Jim C
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 26, 2007
              Here are a few items.

              Because I don't even have to have an abc program to use it. I can
              convert it on the web.

              http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html

              Because I can search the web using JC's ABC tune finder
              http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/tunefind

              because I can control the print out better with it than with Tabledit
              that I also own, and use.

              Because it can repeat seamlessly instead of having a pause at the end
              while it goes back to the beginning, the way Tabledit does.

              Because I can make it it sound better than with band in a box, which I
              already own, but gave up on it when I couldn't get it to add backing
              tracks so they would sound right.

              Because I can keep many tunes in one abc file and make special files to
              have music for a gig.

              Because several of the ABC tunes will search all the files for a
              specific tune, instead of having to search them all.

              Because the files are compact and can be emailed to band members as
              regular email without making them an attachment.

              Because others don't have to own any software to use them. They can use
              the concertina site to hear something I send them.

              Because a tune that I transcribed 8 years ago will still play on the
              current ABC software. (Anyone still use Songwrite?)

              Because I can import or export between abc format programs and other
              format programs.

              I remember on program that I bought and tried out, but I couldn't
              exchange the tunes with any other program. I ended up giving it to my
              nephew.

              I use mostly ABC2WIN, ABCMUS, ABCTools, ABCEDIT, Tabledit

              I've tried several others but the these I like.

              Mark Hall wrote:

              > Hello all,
              > I am writing a thesis relating to 'abc', and I would like to know why
              > you use 'abc' as apposed to alternative notation software?
              > Your responses and opinions would be welcomed and may be used with your
              > permission.
              > Thanks, mjh

              > What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of
              > your email personality. Take the quiz at the Yahoo! Mail Championship
              > <http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/mail/uk/taglines/default/championships/quiz/*http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://mail.yahoo.net/uk/>.

            • Geoffrey Loker
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 27, 2007
                On 3/26/07, Mark Hall <hallmark7328@...> wrote:
                > I am writing a thesis relating to 'abc', and I would like to know why you use 'abc' as apposed to alternative notation software?

                It's easy to learn and easy to use. Software for it is fairly readily
                available, but you can use it without any software. Much of the
                software for it is free, or not very expensive. It is quite powerful,
                while being fairly simple.

                It is also reasonably intuitive. I created my own very simple version
                of it years before I first came across it, and it was exciting to
                discover a much more powerful version of my simplistic notation.

                Geoff Loker
              • MusiKatz
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 27, 2007
                  Good Morning:
                  Abcusers have many similar reasons for using abc software.
                  We probably differ in our choice of a particular abc application.
                  Currently I prefer Abcedit.
                  Straightforward text editor, midi-playback, PDF score . . .
                  Other than abc most programs are difficult to learn & expensive.
                  Alternate programs do not have the support that the abc community has.
                  I suspect it has something to do with the universal use of abc in the
                  exchange of public domain music.