Exporting to MID

  • Lionel Coates
    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 29

      Dear all

      With  http://ifdo.ca/~seymour/runabc/balk1.abc or similar large collections, is it possible to extract all of the tunes (300, in this case) to individual MID files (300, in this case) at one click of a button, so to speak? If that could be done it would make a much quicker way of finding out which tunes are the really good ones, rather than opening each .abc in turn and playing it.

      Li

    • Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 29
        On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 23:04:31 +0100
        "'Lionel Coates' liongozo@... [abcusers]" <abcusers@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > Dear all
        >
        > With http://ifdo.ca/~seymour/runabc/balk1.abc or similar large collections, is it possible to extract all of the tunes (300, in this case) to individual MID files (300, in this case) at one click of a button, so to speak? If that could be done it would make a much quicker way of finding out which tunes are the really good ones, rather than opening each .abc in turn and playing it.

        Have you tried, in EasyABC, File ==> Export All ==> As MIDI ?

        Cheers,

        Ron.
        --
        True communication is possible only between equals,
        because inferiors are more consistently rewarded

      • S. Wascher
        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 29
          Hello,

          in the good old times of BarFly one could just click the "Play all" menu button. I do not understand why EasyABC or other programs do not have such a possibility. Or is there one (that runs under osx)?

          Simon

          Am 29.11.2017 um 23:04 schrieb 'Lionel Coates' liongozo@... [abcusers] <abcusers@yahoogroups.com>:

          > Dear all
          >
          > With http://ifdo.ca/~seymour/runabc/balk1.abc or similar large collections, is it possible to extract all of the tunes (300, in this case) to individual MID files (300, in this case) at one click of a button, so to speak? If that could be done it would make a much quicker way of finding out which tunes are the really good ones, rather than opening each .abc in turn and playing it.
          >
          > Li

        • Guido Gonzato
          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 29
            Il 29/11/2017 23:04, 'Lionel Coates' liongozo@... [abcusers] ha scritto:

            Dear all

            With  http://ifdo.ca/~seymour/runabc/balk1.abc or similar large collections, is it possible to extract all of the tunes (300, in this case) to individual MID files (300, in this case) at one click of a button, so to speak? If that could be done it would make a much quicker way of finding out which tunes are the really good ones, rather than opening each .abc in turn and playing it.

            From the command line:

            $ abc2midi balk1.abc
            4.00 October 23 2017 abc2midi
            writing MIDI file balk11.mid
            writing MIDI file balk12.mid
            writing MIDI file balk13.mid

            and you get 301 midi files in less than one second.

            See The Manual, page 94.

            Guido =8-)

            --
            Guido Gonzato, PhD <guido.gonzato at gmail.com>
            Geologist, GNU/Linux sysadmin. Rationalist.

          • Lionel Coates
            Message 5 of 30 , Nov 30

              Great stuff, thanks. Why didn’t I look there first?

              Message 6 of 30 , Nov 30
                Il 30/11/2017 09:25, 'Lionel Coates' liongozo@... [abcusers] ha scritto:

                Great stuff, thanks. Why didn’t I look there first?

                because I am a moron.

                The Manual has been around for quite a while, yet I never thought of making it easier to access.

                Hence, I've quickly created this link:

                http://abcplus.sourceforge.net/abcplus_en.html

                The December edition will be much better; I'm finishing it these days.

                Ciao,
                    Guido =8-)
                --
                Guido Gonzato, PhD <guido.gonzato at gmail.com>
                Geologist, GNU/Linux sysadmin. Rationalist.
                  "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance."
                      -- Derek Bok

              • Matthew Walworth
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 1 1:22 PM
                  Which is brilliant! Thank you, Guido.

                  ...matthew...

                  > On Nov 30, 2017, at 1:45 AM, Guido Gonzato guido.gonzato@... [abcusers] <abcusers@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                  >

                  > Il 30/11/2017 09:25, 'Lionel Coates' liongozo@... [abcusers] ha scritto:
                  >> Great stuff, thanks. Why didn’t I look there first?

                  > because I am a moron.
                  >
                  > The Manual has been around for quite a while, yet I never thought of making it easier to access.
                  >
                  > Hence, I've quickly created this link:
                  >
                  > http://abcplus.sourceforge.net/abcplus_en.html
                  >
                  > The December edition will be much better; I'm finishing it these days.
                  >
                  > Ciao,
                  > Guido =8-)
                  > --
                  > Guido Gonzato, PhD <guido.gonzato at
                  > gmail.com
                  > >
                  > Geologist, GNU/Linux sysadmin. Rationalist.
                  > "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance."
                  > -- Derek Bok

                • Chuck Boody

                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 4 12:34 AM
                      Hello,

                      Am 29.11.2017 um 23:04 schrieb 'Lionel Coates' liongozo@... [abcusers] <abcusers@yahoogroups.com>:
                      > With http://ifdo.ca/~seymour/runabc/balk1.abc or similar large collections, is it possible to extract all of the tunes (300, in this case) to individual MID files (300, in this case) at one click of a button, so to speak? If that could be done it would make a much quicker way of finding out which tunes are the really good ones, rather than opening each .abc in turn and playing it.

                      but which midi-player do you use that is capable of playing a playlist with a number of midis, one after the other automatically (none of the players I have does the trick)?

                      Thanks,

                      Simon
                    • Lionel Coates
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 4 12:46 AM

                        Hi, I wasn’t asking about playing back a lot of MIDs, one after the other. I was asking how to *get* a lot of MIDs *at one go* from a tunebook containing lots of abc files. This would mean not having to open each abc file, one at a time, and create its MID. Lazy, aren’t I? Guido suggested using p 94 of his current manual – a command line approach – and this is excellent information. Still, it would be nice to be able to do it from ABCExplorer or EasyABC without having to jump through the cmd hoops. Yes, lazy’s the word.

                        Li

                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 4 1:24 AM
                          On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 09:46:44 +0100
                          "'Lionel Coates' liongozo@... [abcusers]" <abcusers@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                          > Hi, I wasn't asking about playing back a lot of MIDs, one after the other. I
                          > was asking how to *get* a lot of MIDs *at one go* from a tunebook containing
                          > lots of abc files. This would mean not having to open each abc file, one at
                          > a time, and create its MID. Lazy, aren't I? Guido suggested using p 94 of
                          > his current manual - a command line approach - and this is excellent
                          > information. Still, it would be nice to be able to do it from ABCExplorer or
                          > EasyABC without having to jump through the cmd hoops. Yes, lazy's the word.

                          As I already posted here earlier in reply to your query, open in EasyABC, go to File => Export All => As Midi...

                          Cheers,

                          Ron.
                          --
                          Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir.

                        • S. Wascher
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 4 2:10 AM
                            Hi,

                            I have read that. As you also wrote:

                            > it would make a much quicker way of finding out which tunes are the really good ones, rather than opening each .abc in turn and playing it.

                            to me

                            > opening each .abc in turn and playing it.

                            implied that you know how to play them one after the other automatically.
                            It seems that I was wrong with this conclusion.

                            Simon
                          • Lionel Coates
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 4 2:11 AM

                              Sorry to bring bad news but EasyABC > File > Export all … does not export to MID. To PDF, yes; to HTML, yes; to MusicXML, yes. To MID, no. At least, it doesn’t on my PC.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 4 2:23 AM
                                On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 11:11:27 +0100
                                "'Lionel Coates' liongozo@... [abcusers]" <abcusers@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                > Sorry to bring bad news but EasyABC > File > Export all … does not export to MID. To PDF, yes; to HTML, yes; to MusicXML, yes. To MID, no. At least, it doesn’t on my PC.

                                Sorry to hear that, it does on mine, which is why I snet you the advice.

                                Running EasyABC 1.3.7.7 under Linux Devuan Jessie.

                                Cheers,

                                Ron.
                                --
                                To YOU I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.
                                -- Woody Allen

                              • Lionel Coates
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 4 2:35 AM

                                  Ron, that is very interesting indeed! Thanks. I have a pal who is a Linux Lad and also uses ABC (in command line on his Mac, if I remember rightly what he told me), so I shall send this information on to him for testing. I will report back in due course.

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 4 2:46 AM
                                    Yes.
                                    Let me try and put it this way. At the moment I am not really interested too
                                    much in playing anything back. What I want to do is generate the 300 MID
                                    files from one tunebook with 300 ABC in it, BANG, at one go. Later on, I can
                                    then just play back whatever the individual MID of interest may be.
                                    I rate my time at Eur. 200 per hour. I can't afford to pay myself to open
                                    300 files individually, just to create 300 MID.

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 4 4:04 AM
                                      On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 11:46:22 +0100
                                      "'Lionel Coates' liongozo@... [abcusers]" <abcusers@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                      > At the moment I am not really interested too much in playing anything back.

                                      An easy way to play all the .mid files in a directory with a Bash script:

                                      #!/bin/bash
                                      OLDIFS=$IFS
                                      IFS=$'\n'
                                      for I in *.mid; do
                                      timidity $I
                                      done
                                      IFS=$OLDIFS
                                      exit 1

                                      The line changing and restoring IFS to deal with filenames that have spaces in them.

                                      Cheers,

                                      Ron.

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 4 4:07 AM
                                        Hi,

                                        Am 04.12.2017 um 11:46 schrieb 'Lionel Coates' liongozo@... [abcusers] <abcusers@yahoogroups.com>:

                                        > Let me try and put it this way. At the moment I am not really interested too
                                        > much in playing anything back. What I want to do is generate the 300 MID
                                        > files from one tunebook with 300 ABC in it, BANG, at one go. Later on, I can
                                        > then just play back whatever the individual MID of interest may be.
                                        > I rate my time at Eur. 200 per hour. I can't afford to pay myself to open
                                        > 300 files individually, just to create 300 MID.

                                        in EasyABC you just open the one tunebook with 300 ABC in it, and then press the play button to play one tune that interests you, and ten the next, and so on.

                                        In EasyABC 1.3.7.6 running on OSX I just an hour ago did klick the submenu point "Export selected" "as MIDI" of the menu "File". I created some hundered individual MIDI with that click. The only errors that tropped the proces twice were

                                        - an empty line in the abc-text-header
                                        - an abc-text without any music.

                                        So I had to restart at these point in the multi-Tune file (correcting the file and removing what was already MIDIfied)

                                        Thanks,

                                        Simon
                                      • S. Wascher
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 4 4:09 AM
                                          Hi,

                                          Am 04.12.2017 um 13:07 schrieb "'S. Wascher' 2017@... [abcusers]" <abcusers@yahoogroups.com>:

                                          > submenu point "Export selected"

                                          sorry should read "Export all" naturally.

                                          S.
                                        • Lionel Coates
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 4 4:49 AM

                                            Indeed, it should be “Export selected”. However, the attached screenshot shows what happens with EasyABC on my Windows 8 laptop. What a pain!

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Dec 4 4:52 AM

                                              My Linux Lad Mac Man says that the “Export all” facility is available to him and works fine. He proved it by sending me all 300 MIDs. What a nice man.

                                              Christmas is coming and maybe Father Christmas will shove a Mac down my chimney.

                                              Li

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Dec 4 5:32 AM
                                                On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 13:52:00 +0100
                                                "'Lionel Coates' liongozo@... [abcusers]" <abcusers@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                                > My Linux Lad Mac Man says that the "Export all" facility is available to him
                                                > and works fine. He proved it by sending me all 300 MIDs. What a nice man.
                                                >
                                                > Christmas is coming and maybe Father Christmas will shove a Mac down my
                                                > chimney.

                                                Just upgrade your PC to Linux ? (for free;-3)

                                                Cheers,

                                                Ron.
                                                --
                                                Fiat justitia et pereat mundus.
                                                -- Ferdinand I

                                              • Lionel Coates
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Dec 4 6:49 AM

                                                OK, here’s the lowdown. I just installed EasyABC 1.3.7.7 on my PC and, as the screenshot shows, it DOES the bulk MIDI conversion which my previous version did not do. Tested … perfect! Done deal. Santa can have the evening off on 24th.

                                                Li

                                                Message 24 of 30 , Dec 4 11:03 AM
                                                  Maybe it is time to remind everyone that EasyABC has changed a great deal since the last version the originator produced.  Update to 1.3.7.7 (1.3.7.6 on Mac) and you should be much happier.  Many new features and reasonably uptodate binaries.

                                                  Chuck Boody

                                                  On Dec 4, 2017, at 8:49 AM, 'Lionel Coates' liongozo@... [abcusers] <abcusers@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                                  OK, here’s the lowdown. I just installed EasyABC 1.3.7.7 on my PC and, as the screenshot shows, it DOES the bulk MIDI conversion which my previous version did not do. Tested … perfect! Done deal. Santa can have the evening off on 24th.

                                                  Li

                                                  > My Linux Lad Mac Man says that the "Export all" facility is available to him
                                                  > and works fine. He proved it by sending me all 300 MIDs. What a nice man.
                                                  >
                                                  > Christmas is coming and maybe Father Christmas will shove a Mac down my
                                                  > chimney.

                                                  Just upgrade your PC to Linux ? (for free;-3)

                                                  Cheers,

                                                  Ron.
                                                  --
                                                  Fiat justitia et pereat mundus.
                                                  -- Ferdinand I

                                                • Richard Walker

                                                    > My Linux Lad Mac Man says that the "Export all" facility is available to him
                                                    > and works fine. He proved it by sending me all 300 MIDs. What a nice man.
                                                    >
                                                    > Christmas is coming and maybe Father Christmas will shove a Mac down my
                                                    > chimney.

                                                    Just upgrade your PC to Linux ? (for free;-3)

                                                    Cheers,

                                                    Ron.
                                                    --
                                                    Fiat justitia et pereat mundus.