Section of Main Line Intact, I drove on it myself!!! T.C.R. / M.K.T. 1900's.

  • Michael L
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28 3:13 PM
      Dear Group,

      Exciting news! I was heading home last night through the big city of
      Hico, TX. A great friend of mine, told me, he drove on a county road
      that had railroad grade wooden trestles and railroad grade bridges in
      place since it was built! I didn't believe him at first.

      I set forth on West 1st Street in Hico, Texas. (Turn left / right on
      U.S. 281 N/S behind a Methodist Church, and gas station. Go due west on West 1st Street for several blocks, then it turns into County Road
      134 Hamilton, to Erath County Road 270. You will drive over one wood
      trestle and then a one lane railroad bridge. Keep going on C.R. 270
      West all the way to a little community called: Clariette, TX and C.R.
      270 will dump you on State Highway 6. The rest of the R.O.W. is
      obscured, and it picks up on other side of Clariette, TX through
      Alexander, TX which it goes to Dublin, TX and on to Breckenridge, TX.
      Much of the original R.O.W. from Clariette, TX to Dublin, and Dublin
      to Breckenridge, TX had been bulldozed, overgrown, and badly
      dismantled.

      I was like a little kid in a candy and toy store when I drove on this road. I hope it will remain after this post. I drove it at night, and from the looks and feel of it, it was a 'slow speed' track
      line. I could only go 20mph to 30mph tops. The wooden trestle and
      steel trestle bridge are paved, but show the signs of a railroad
      grade trestle. My dad remembers that road, but wanted me to find it
      for myself. My best friend who is getting married told me about it,
      and honestly, its the best 4 to 6 mile approx stretch of road I had
      ever driven. Now I need a p.a. system and have the sounds of a steam
      locomotive chuffing down the 'track'. lol with a whistle sound of a
      0-6-0 or a 4-4-0? :)

      If there are any system track maps of the Texas Central Railroad
      (T.C.R.) and Missouri Kansas Texas (M.K.T.) circa 1920 to 1960 that
      would help me alot. I GOT TO TAKE FREAKING PICS!! Payday is tomorrow
      and I got to work, but got to get a nice digital camera and take lot
      of pics!! URRRG! I hope to visit it again take pics of what I drove
      on, and go from there. Not to mention other pics of 'sections' of
      track / R.O.W. / Railroad Dump as most Texans call them now. :)

      Shalom,

      Michael D. Lucas
      76531