Anyone out there/CSX knowledge

  • Richard Nichols
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2006
      This is in reply to nickelplate 79. I have tried to reply back on your last post, but for some reason it won't go through. I was please to see that there was another side to the CSX picture other than the post that took me to task because it was believed I had no knowledge of CSX. I could see from that post that there was a vested interest in miantaining the "money cow" so I am not in a position to even comment on that bias. However, your discussion about the hiring, running and treatment of employees I had heard from another client who makes a run every day, and half of his day is on the siding waiting for the priorities to pass. Many of those days are on the double track in Douglas, Georgia.

      You bring up another interesting issue. CSX is unionized, and it would appear to me the Union would want the railroad to hire more personnel to keep the slow trains moving to increase revenues, thus increase wages and benefits. On second thought, maybe the railroad is doing this to keep that from happening.

      I guess, I really shouldn't complain because 40 miles down the road is the huge CSX interchange yard, and the streets in Waycross are constantly being blocked by the huge trains pulling in and out of the yard.

      Thank you for your post about the inside of CSX. That kind of ineffeciency is what I observed impartially from the outside. I knew I was not as dumb as I was made out to be. This is has been an interesting discussion, I hope others will join in. Do you suppose the sudden merger of rail lines and the closing down of the smaller lines came about because the railroads were really losing money and their ineffeciency would not allow them to streamline and become more effecient? Or do you suppose that the lines went out of business because the big lines tried to put them out of business, or was it a combination of both?

      R. Nichols