Saturday at the Comet Bar

  • Jim Rees
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2000
      You might consider stopping off at the Comet Bar Saturday on your way to
      Pontiac. The Witch Doctors play blues. Some of it jumps and some of it
      swings. While they are not strictly a swing dance band, I think they'll
      play something you can dance to, and this sounds like it could be fun. It's
      held outdoors on the patio, at the Comet Bar behind the Fox Theater in
      Detroit.

      Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 10:10:49 -0400
      From: Terry Hughes <tehughes@...>
      To: witchdoctors@...
      Subject: Billy's Ham Shop

      My dearest friends, a large number of you (and there is *VERY* large number
      of you on the most feral email list in The History of Mankind) have
      responded to my last band whereabouts missive with questions about The
      Witch Doctors' Saturday gig at Billy's Comet Bar. A large number of you
      want to know what's up with this and how to get to this party. Here's the
      straight story (remember, I love you and would never lie to you):

      Billy's Comet Bar is a crazy ass rockin' little bar that tosses two outdoor
      piss-off-the-neighbors parties annually, one: Mardi Gras in June and two:
      Christmas in July. This Saturday is Mardi Gras in June and the party
      starts at 4:00 PM. The Witch Doctors hit it from 4 to 8:00 PM. This party
      is a huge outdoor music fest/food
      fight/bbq/set-your-hair-on-fire-and-drive-100 miles per
      hour-north-in-the-south-bound-lane type street party. When asked, "Who's
      on after us, Billy?", Billy replied in a completely serious Billy like
      monotone, "Garth Brooks.", to which I replied, "Bullshit." Billy said, and
      I quote, "No, really, Garth Brooks." This went back and forth, back and
      forth and finally I gave up and assumed he has a Garth Brooks impersonater
      (last year he had female impersonaters and they rocked the house) lined up.
      Anyway, this is going to be a real party. This will *not* be a sanitized
      for your protection cheap imitation naugahyde party. This will be the kind
      of party where you'll probably wrinkle your clothing.

      Billy's Comet Bar is conveniently located right next door to Billy's Ham
      Shop (which doubled as dressing room for the female impersonaters last
      year, I think the ham inventory has turned over at least twice since then)
      on Henry Street. Take The Lodge to the Forest Exit (one exit south of
      I-94) and go left (east, it's one way) on Forest to Cass Avenue and go
      right (south) to Henry Street, go left and Billy's is just past Clifford,
      two blocks after you turn off of Cass, on the left. You can't miss it.
      Saturday afternoon, Billy's Comet Bar, Mardi Gras in June, The Witch
      Doctors--you'd be insane to be any place else.