(MY) dugong

  • yitzeling
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2006
      Thursday August 31, 2006-The Star

      Act to save dugong of Terengganu

      I REFER to your reports, "Baby dugong surviving on goat's milk" (*Sunday
      Star*, Aug 27) and "MB: We'll ensure dugong survives" (*The Star*, Aug 28).

      While it is sad to note that another dugong calf has been separated from its
      mother in Malaysian waters, it proves that there is a breeding population in
      the Terengganu area.

      We hope the dugong will survive to be released back into the wild.

      The Fisheries Department is most likely to be able to achieve this.

      While great concern has been shown over the fate of the dugong calf, there
      have been no statements on the action taken to find its mother.

      The lack of information on the status of the dugong in Terengganu hinders
      the management of dugongs and we hope that a population assessment will be
      carried out as soon as possible to enable the state to draw up an
      appropriate management plan for dugong conservation.

      *SARAS SURESH KUMAR,

      Malaysian Nature Society

      Selangor Branch Marine Group,

      Kuala Lumpur.*

    • yitzeling
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2006
        Monday September 4, 2006-The Star

        Attend to the dugong first

        I REFER to your reports on the strayed dugong calf captured in the waters of
        Pulau Kapas, Terengganu, "Strayed dugong calf rescued, kept in resort
        pool<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/8/27/nation/15256949&sec=nation>"
        (*Sunday Star*, Aug 27) and "MB: We'll ensure dugong
        survives<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/8/28/nation/15260939&sec=nation>"
        (*The Star*, Aug 28).

        I think it is high time that we stopped quarrelling over which agency is
        supposed to be in charge of the strayed dugong calf but instead take
        immediate action to ensure that the dugong lives.

        The call that "the authorities must take action" sounds all too familiar but
        are we clear about which the authorities we are referring to?

        A quick check with the Marine Parks Department in Terengganu reveals that
        dugongs are not under its jurisdiction but that of the Turtle and Marine
        Ecosystem Centre (Tumec).

        But instead of answering phone calls and responding to enquiries about the
        dugong, the Tumec has chosen to keep mum about it.

        Sure, the centre had earlier despatched two officers to have a look at the
        dugong but the officers were so well dressed that they did not even go into
        the water to assess the condition of the calf!

        The dugong calf is now being kept in a pool in the resort but for how long
        can this go on? The sea water pumped in is sometimes too warm for it. And
        yes, somebody is stationed at the resort to feed the dugong calf with
        instant formula but are the feeding bottles sterilised daily? Is he taking
        care of the calf like how a baby should be taken care of?

        If the state Government is really serious about keeping the dugong alive, it
        should hand it over to people who are really passionate, serious and
        knowledgeable in taking care of it.

        Otherwise, we will lose yet another dugong.

        *CHEN PELF NYOK,

        Kuala Terengganu.*