RE: Fwd: [aapn] Oliver Twist sterilization

  • Santos, Karen
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2005
      Unfortunately, after reading your various emails about animal welfare groups responding to the tsunami disaster, I am compelled to write to you to clear up any misconceptions about the role of IFAW in responding to the disaster in Southern Asia.

      IFAW has one of the most respected and experienced team of emergency relief responders in the world. They are respected because they are veterinarians, extremely knowledgeable, professional, work closely with local animal welfare groups and follow precise protocols in the care and handling of domesticated as well as wild animals. This knowledge has enabled us to act quickly to improve the situation for animals in many of the areas affected by the disaster.

      In India, IFAW was contacted by two local NGO's to provide assistance in saving domestic animals, and to assess the habitat damage and animal welfare needs caused by the tsunami. Our colleagues from our India office were on the ground quickly, providing medical care and food to livestock, implementing a dog vaccination effort, caring for sick and injured animals and doing a habitat assessment of the area.

      In Sri Lanka, at the request of local animal welfare groups, we sent an experienced veterinarian, and a veterinary technician and provided resources to implement a massive dog and cat vaccination program to prevent the spread of diseases. No animal sterilizations were administered by the IFAW ER team or the local groups we worked closely with. In addition, we supported a local turtle conservation organization by providing needed equipment and temporary shelter on the beach so they can continue their work.

      In Thailand, the director of IFAW's Asia Pacific office conducted habitat assessments in conjunction with local groups and subsequently provided resources to these local groups to vaccinate and care for dogs in hardest hit areas.

      We are committed to providing ongoing assistance through our India office and continue working with and supporting local groups and colleagues attending to animal welfare and habitat issues in affected areas. All the money raised for tsunami relief was generously donated by supporters to help animals in distress. These funds have been directed specifically to local groups in India, Sri Lanka and Thailand.

      We hope this clarifies the misleading information about IFAW's efforts. Any unsupported statements made about these efforts and that of others are counterproductive and do a great disservice to the tireless efforts of many dedicated individuals everywhere that truly care about animal welfare and are working hard to improve it.

      If you or anyone else is interested in what we are doing regarding our emergency relief work any where in the world, please feel free to visit our web site at www.ifaw.org or contact us directly.