A reply to Sport Seoul’s article, “Fraudulent case of animal protection advocates”

  • Yoon Kerr
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2004
      The piece below was written by KAPS member Jeong Suk
      Park. (A special Thank You to Kim Singer for his
      beautiful proofreading.) She wrote it in response to a
      Korean newspaper article that presented the dog meat
      issue as an example of East/West conflict. The
      reality, however, is that the strongest opposition to
      the consumption of dog meat comes from within Asia
      itself. Many caring Asians who grew up actually
      witnessing its negative effects are viscerally opposed
      to it. A forum in the Korean (and, indeed, the
      western) media, reflecting the views of the many
      Asians who are calling for an end to the dog meat
      trade, is now long overdue.

      My reaction to Sport Seoul’s article, “Fraudulent case
      of animal protection advocates”

      By Jeong Suk Park:

      Firstly, I must show due regard to the reporter for
      his efforts. He must surely have spent at least a day
      or two on his research in order to produce such a
      worthless and ill-informed article.

      When you study a passage of writing, you can usually
      get a sense early on of the author’s motivation.
      Accordingly, when reading this article, I was soon
      reminded that one of the most disingenuous forms of
      writing is that which is not based on the author’s own
      experience. An article, for example, that cobbles
      together lists of unrelated or irrelevant facts purely
      in order to support the author’s own position, is a
      valueless endeavour designed to mislead rather than
      inform the reader.

      No one who has ever owned and loved a dog could
      possibly have written this article. It is clear that
      the author simply has no concept of the emotions that
      dogs experience, or any idea of their true nature. The
      reporter says, “They (the animal protection advocates)
      seek to bestow upon dogs a special acquittal
      certificate simply because they have a closer
      relationship with humans than most other animals. They
      even claim that dogs are ‘man’s friends’.”

      It’s unlikely that someone with such a jaundiced
      attitude to the subject matter will ever be able to
      understand or appreciate the remarkable relationship
      that does indeed exist between humans and dogs. Dog
      lovers, on the other hand, are very aware of just how
      important a role their beloved companions perform as
      friends of the human race. After all, why shouldn’t we
      be “friends” with dogs? This concept is problematic
      only for those whose closed minds preclude them from
      even considering that genuine friendship across the
      species is attainable. Whenever the weekend weather
      permits, we see that children like to take their dogs
      outside to play with them. One simply has to observe
      the joyous way they interact, and the fact that the
      children and their furry companions are firm friends
      becomes clear for all to see.

      I don’t know precisely how many dog lovers there are
      in this country, but I do know that a great many
      people in my own community clearly live a happy life
      very largely because of their dogs. The patently
      special relationship that exists between mankind and
      dogs is more than enough reason to afford them a
      special “acquittal certificate”. The deep bond that
      exists between dogs and humans is profound and quite
      possibly unique, and certainly something that has been
      well documented throughout history.

      Human beings are the most powerful species ever to
      walk the earth. It is my contention that if we cannot
      feel compassion for those weaker than ourselves then
      eventually all life on earth will be put at risk, with
      grave implications even for world peace. For once, let
      us not apply the principle of ‘survival of the
      fittest’ to our world. There are humans who will eat
      virtually anything - on what they regard as “health”
      grounds – and as a result they have already become a
      threat to parts of the world’s finely balanced
      ecosystem. Wherever possible in the future, we should
      tailor our actions in a way that is mindful of the
      need to secure the future of all forms of life.

      As for dog meat consumption, many people both here and
      abroad already object strongly to the practice. This
      is especially so among young people. Is that not
      enough reason to ban it? Don’t we already have enough
      animals for the dinner table? Why introduce a law that
      will cause so much heartache for so many people who
      love dogs? Why do some people continue to promote the
      fallacy that dog meat consumption is an issue of
      cultural heritage or national pride?

      A father who would slaughter and then consume a dog
      that is much loved by his children would quite
      inexcusably be causing them anguish and sorrow. Such
      acts of cruelty are unacceptable in a civilised
      society and they should thus be exposed and
      prohibited, wherever they exist.

      I now challenge Sports Seoul to send their reporter to
      a place where dog slaughter takes place. They will
      then experience the fear and misery of the animals
      involved and, as a result, may produce an article of
      some substance. If Sports Seoul does not wish to be
      regarded as a publication of dubious merit, they must
      ensure their reporters are at least suitably informed
      about the subjects upon which they write.

      In conclusion, I believe the way forward is not to
      regard the dog meat issue as a challenge to our
      culture. That is to say, we should not support moves
      to legalise and promote dog meat on the flawed premise
      that our national pride is at stake. Instead, we must
      understand that the dog meat debate is a challenge and
      a test of our true culture, and the reality is that
      the most effective resolution to this whole issue
      could be achieved simply by rooting out this odious
      practice.

      =====
      Friends of dogs
      http://www.friendsofdogs.net
      Dogs brighten our life with their gift of love. It is our turn to help our dogs. Please help organisations who are fighting to get dogs out of the food chain.

      http://www.koreananimals.org/
      http://www.animalsasia.org/
      http://www.linisgobyerno.org/special_projects.htm

      Does your mail provider give you a free online calendar?
      Yahoo! does. Get Yahoo! Mail http://uk.mail.yahoo.com