UPDATE: 176 Participants Registered for Hamilton\Burlington SPCA Guinness World

  • Media Watch Canada
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2004
      UPDATE: 176 Participants Registered for Hamilton\Burlington SPCA
      Guinness World Records Event

      Sunday, February 01, 2004 – 04:19 a.m.

      Hamilton, Ontario: They come from throughout southwestern Ontario
      bearing boxes of pizza, pounds of wings, cases of bottled water,
      soda, assorted fruit and baked goods.

      All this and more from those who did not wish to sing but wanted to
      show their support of the Hamilton\Burlington SPCA attempt at
      breaking the present Guinness World Record for "Karaoke Marathon –
      Multiple Participants."

      "I just wanted to show my support for the people who are trying so
      hard to make a difference in the lives of the animals they care
      for, "said Christine Bissinger, a school teacher in Brantford.

      Although Christine did not sing, she did help with working the
      registration desk and snack table.

      "It's so wonderful to see so many people from across Hamilton and
      Burlington coming together for such a great event for such a great
      cause," added Nicole St. Pierre, manager of Backstreet Bar ad Grill,
      where the Event After Party will be held Monday at 8 p.m.

      The number of 176 registered participants is double the featured
      acts of the existing Guinness World Record for "Karaoke Marathon –
      Multiple Participants" , set in June 2003 in the UK.

      Since 8 a.m. Thursday, January 29th, the Hamilton\Burlington SPCA
      has embarked on a quest, that when completed at approximately 11
      p.m. Sunday, February 1, will see them break and surpass the
      existing world record for "Karaoke Marathon – Multiple Participants."

      At 11 p.m. last night, the Hamilton\Burlington SPCA had already
      surpassed the different act aspect of this event with 164 different
      performers, for a total of 1,055 songs in 62 hours and 20 minutes.

      Since the beginning of this event, over $9,000 with all proceeds
      from this record breaking event going to the ANGEL MIRACLE FUND,
      which is used specifically for the treatment of animals which come
      into our care as a direct result of animal cruelty. The goal is to
      raise $15,000.

      A steady stream of participants, volunteers and well-wishers
      continue as we draw closer and closer to our record breaking goal.
      Once the record has been broken, we will continue the marathon until
      1 p.m. Monday, February 2, adding 14 hours to the present record for
      a total of 94 hours.

      We are asking members of the public who wish to participate in this,
      the first Hamilton\Burlington SPCA fundraiser of 2004, to come to
      our shelter which is located at 245 Dartnall Road in Hamilton.

      A live audio feed of the event can be obtained at www.shoutcast.com,
      and by typing "petradionet" in the page's search engine which is
      found on the right side of the screen. When the next page is
      displayed, click on TUNE IN.

      To obtain the video feed of the event, using MSN Messenger, send a
      request to relmarmedia@....

      More information can be obtained from our special event website –
      www.spcaevent.com.

      An After Event Party event has been planned for 8 p.m. on Monday
      evening at Backstreet Bar and Grill located at 94 MacNab Street
      North in downtown Hamilton where everyone is invited to join the
      festivities.

      Your continued support is sincerely appreciated by one and all at
      the Hamilton\Burlington SPCA.

      Rob McConnell,
      Director of Marketing and Communications,
      Hamilton\Burlington SPCA,
      245 Dartnall Road,
      Hamilton, Ontario,
      L8W 3V9