Re: [aapn] please read and cross post, very well written by DawnWatch!!

  • pranimithran welfareforanimal
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2003
      Dear sir/madam
      thank you for sending valuable informations and e-mail to us and We wish to request that kindly send us valuable informations and email .

      yours sincerly,

      Dr.V.V.Vaalliappan.
      Veterinary Surgeon and Founder Chairman,
      PRAANI MITHRAAN (Trust for Animal Welfare and Protection)
      Madurai,Tamil Nadu,
      India.

      sandrawijnveldt@... wrote:
      Please read this very good e-mail from Karen Dawn from DawnWatch!!

      Take care,

      Sandra Wijnveldt

      DawnWatch:

      The vast majority of my subscribers are American, but I wanted to make sure
      all animal advocates know of a controversy making front page news in
      Australia and being covered by numerous papers internationally, though not
      in the US. Australia exports live animals to countries with religious
      slaughter laws that preclude slaughter in Australia before export. Therefore
      approximately seven million animals bred in Australia are killed each year
      via methods banned in Australia on grounds of cruelty. Further, the animals,
      packed into sweltering ships, suffer terribly on the journey to their
      deaths. The controversy has been brought to a head as a shipload of 53,000
      sheep (4,000 already having died), rejected by Saudi Arabia as disease
      ridden, has remained at sea since August 5th.

      The front page of Melbourne's The Age, on Saturday, September 26, explains:

      "The passengers on the ship adrift in the Gulf, the Cormo Express, were
      always going to be lambs to the slaughter. But their fate became uncertain
      and protracted when authorities at their destination in Saudi Arabia refused
      to accept the shipment, saying too many sheep were diseased (a claim the
      ship's owners and vets deny). More importantly for Australia, the confusion
      about the fate of the ship's 53,000 survivors, whose slaughter might now
      take place in an Iraqi abattoir, has lifted the lid on a reality that many
      Australians have found distasteful: that the prosperity of many farms and
      the rural communities behind them ultimately relies on a practice that is
      banned in Australia on the grounds of cruelty.

      "More than six million sheep and nearly a million cattle are exported from
      Australia each year. About 99 per cent of them go to Muslim countries whose
      interpretation of religious law means the animals will be killed by having
      their throats cut to allow them to bleed to death. It means they remain
      almost fully conscious for between 10 and 30 seconds, before losing
      consciousness and ultimately dying."

      That front page story, headed "Lambs to the Slaughter" can be read on the
      web at:
      http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/09/26/1064083191426.html

      The Sunday, September 28 paper carries a wonderful op-ed by Terry Lane
      headed, "This live trade must stop."
      Lane comes down hard on religious beliefs that lead to animal cruelty:

      "We do not bend our rules against cruelty to animals to accommodate the
      superstitions of others. Religion has a lot to answer for, and the suffering
      of animals is just one more item in its catalogue of cruelties. But ours is
      a secular nation and we must live by reason and compassion and be
      indifferent to special pleadings of the true believers."

      His final lines, after a brief look at history, are a delight:
      "Even at times when the darkest deeds were being committed there was always
      someone who knew better. If it were not so the whole wobbly process of
      civilisation would grind to a halt. We depend utterly on the few who know
      better to keep us moving forward.

      "This week the few who know better are the Portland animal rights protesters
      and the RSPCA. They are the John Browns of our times."

      You can read that piece on line at:
      http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/09/27/1064083233867.html

      Here are links to other recent coverage in The Age:
      http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/09/26/1064083190609.html

      http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/09/26/1064083191618.html

      http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/09/26/1064083191615.html

      The Weekend Australian, Saturday, September 27 also has the story:
      http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,7384921%255E27
      02,00.html

      And you'll find lots of information on the Live Animal Trade at the Animal
      Liberation NSW website:
      http://www.animal-lib.org.au/docs/appeal_winter2003.shtml

      You can read eye-witness accounts on the Animals Australia website at:
      http://www.animalsaustralia.org

      The front page story and wonderful op-ed in Melbourne's The Age call for
      appreciative letters to the editor. I hope all Aussie activists will write.
      Letters from representatives of animal rights and humane organizations in
      other countries would also be great.
      The Age takes letters at: letters@...
      Link: mailto:letters@...

      You may also want to respond to the national paper, The Weekend Australian.
      The paper takes letters at:
      http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/files/aus_letters.htm

      Always include your full name, address, and daytime phone number when
      sending a letter to the editor. Shorter letters are more likely to be
      published.

      Yours and the animals',
      Karen Dawn
      www.DawnWatch.com

      (DawnWatch is an animal advocacy media watch that looks at animal issues in
      the media and facilitates one-click responses to the relevant media outlets.
      email KarenDawn@... and tell me you'd like to receive alerts. If
      at any time you find DawnWatch is not for you, just let me know via email
      and I'll take you off the subscriber list immediately. If you forward or
      reprint DawnWatch alerts, please do so unedited, leaving DawnWatch in the
      title and including this tag line.)

      Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your partner online.Post your profile.