NEWS: Vietnam bear sanctuary saved from eviction

  • Stuart Lennon
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2013
      *For immediate release**
      **16 January 2013*

      *Vietnam bear sanctuary saved from eviction*

      Animals Asia's Vietnam bear rescue centre has been saved from the
      eviction threat that has been hanging over it since 5 October 2012. A
      communiqué issued by the Vietnamese government confirms that Prime
      Minister Nguyen Tan Dung has concluded that the rescue centre's
      operation should be maintained, and that construction on the project's
      second phase should continue.

      This decision ensures that the 104 bears living at the centre that have
      been rescued from the bile industry will stay, 77 local Vietnamese staff
      keep their jobs, and Animals Asia who fund and operate the centre will
      not suffer the financial losses of US $2 million as previously feared.

      Animals Asia is a charity that is devoted to ending the barbaric
      practice of bear bile farming and improving the welfare of animals in
      China and Vietnam. The Vietnam Bear Rescue Centre, located in Tam Dao
      National Park, is dedicated solely to the rescue of previously farmed
      bears in Vietnam.

      Tuan Bendixsen, Vietnam Director, Animals Asia commented:
      "We are very grateful to the Prime Minister for his commitment to the
      bear rescue centre. We look forward to working with the government to
      end bear bile farming and help conserve the bear species."

      Jill Robinson MBE, Founder and CEO, Animals Asia commented:
      "Our priority has been to rehabilitate these bears after their years of
      trauma from being locked up in small cages and milked for their bile. If
      we had been forced to relocate it would have had a terrible impact on
      their wellbeing. We want to sincerely thank the tens of thousands of
      supporters from around the world who wrote letters, sent e-mails and
      signed petitions calling for the eviction to be stopped."

      The rescue centre was established based on the Vietnam government's 2005
      agreement with Animals Asia to fund and develop a facility on 12
      hectares of the park that would permanently rehabilitate and house 200
      endangered bears rescued from the illegal bear bile industry. Based on
      this agreement, Animals Asia has invested more than US$2 million in
      building and infrastructure.

      There are over 10,000 bears -- mainly moon bears but also others such as
      Malayan sun bears and brown bears -- kept on bile farms in China, and
      around 2,400 in Vietnam. They're "milked" regularly for their bile,
      which is stored in the gall bladder. The bile is used as a form of
      medicine, even though many herbal and synthetic alternatives are
      available. Starved, dehydrated and riddled with ailments, the bears
      suffer a living hell.

      Animals Asia is working to end bear bile farming in China and Vietnam,
      where bears are kept in small cages for up to 30 years so their bile can
      be extracted through catheters, needles and open wounds.

      *PHOTOGRAPHS AND VIDEO AVAILABLE TO DOWNLOAD HERE:*
      https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e792ekw3gqvu1fz/C58JPf_gT3

      *ENDS*

      For further information or to arrange an interview please contact:

      Stuart Lennon
      Senior Communications Manager, Animals Asia
      Tel: + (852) 2791 2225
      Mob: + (852) 9720 6234
      slennon@...
      /
      //*Notes to editors:*//
      //
      //Animals Asia is devoted to ending the barbaric practice of bear bile
      farming and improving the welfare of animals in China and Vietnam. We
      promote compassion and respect for all animals and work to bring about
      long-term change.//
      //
      //The Animals Asia team has been rescuing bears since 1994 and is the
      only organisation with a bear sanctuary in China. Our founder and CEO,
      Jill Robinson MBE, Dr.med.vet. h.c., is widely recognised as the world's
      leading expert on the cruel bear bile industry, having campaigned
      against it since 1993.//
      //*
      *//*Our work focuses on three major programmes: *//
      //
      //*End Bear Bile Farming *//
      //Animals Asia works to end the barbaric bear bile trade, which sees
      over 10,000 bears -- mainly moon bears but also sun bears and brown
      bears -- kept on bile farms in China, and around 2,400 in Vietnam.//
      //*
      *//*Cat and Dog Welfare *//
      //Animals Asia works to end the trade in dogs and cats for food in
      China, and lobbies to improve the welfare of companion animals and
      promote humane population management. //
      //
      //*Zoos and Safari Parks *//
      //Animals Asia campaigns for an end to abusive animal practices in zoos
      and safari parks in China, and works closely with governing authorities
      to improve animal management and increase awareness of the welfare needs
      of captive animals./

      --
      *Animals Asia's Vietnam Bear Rescue Centre faces eviction.**
      **You can help by e-mailing Vietnam's Prime Minister:

      **http://www.StoptheEviction.info<http://www.animalsasia.org/StopTheEviction>
      *