(IN) Parrikar wants Goa to be No 1 animal friendly state; activists elated

  • Nilesh Bhanage
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 22, 2012
      http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/Parrikar-wants-Goa-to-be-No-1-Animal-Friendly-State-activists-elated/articleshow/17323990.cms?intenttarget=no

      Parrikar wants Goa to be No 1 animal friendly state; activists elated
      By Vijay Singh
      TNN | Nov 22, 2012, 06.24 PM IST

      PANJIM/GOA: As the chief minister of Goa, Manohar
      Parrikar, became a rare politician to stand up for the 'voteless' animals and declare
      that he wants to see Goa as the Number One animal friendly state in India,
      elated animal rights activists at the 'India For Animals 2012' conference
      want Maharashtra and the rest to also follow suit and enforce animal
      protection laws.

      Speaking at the three-day conference organised by the Federation of Indian
      Animal Protection Organisations (FIAPO) at Panjim from November 16-18,
      Parrikar stressed that he strongly supported animals rights and that within
      one year Goa will be the foremost animal friendly state''.

      I believe in action,'' added Parrikar amid applause from the collective
      activist audience at the famous Don Bosco auditorium.

      Over 200 delegates of various animal rights NGOs from India and abroad have
      come to beach haven to discuss the serious and disturbing rise in cases of
      animal cruelties.

      Mumbai based delegates from Bombay Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to
      Animals (BSPCA), Thane based Plants and Animal Welfare Society (PAWS),
      Welfare of Stray Dogs (WSD), In Defense of Animals (IDA) and Thane SPCA
      opined that Maharashtra too must take a cue from Parrikar's statement.

      I think Goa has taken an important step to battle various animal rights
      violations. While most politicians are more concerned with other
      particularly deal with voters and citizens alike, our leaders must realise
      that as humans, people are concerned with the way our animals are treated.
      And it is the government who can help in enforcing these laws,'' said Arpan
      Sharma, chief executive officer of FIAPO.

      Activist N Jayasimha of Humane Society International (HSI) also gave a talk
      on sorry state in which animals like cattle are cruelly and illegally
      transported by road to various slaughterhouses, with officials at Toll
      plazas turning a blind eye to such atrocities.
      Some of the bullocks and buffalos just can't bear the pain of being packed
      like sardines with others in trucks and tempos, and collapse and die en
      route even before reaching the abattoirs,'' said Jayasimha.

      Lynn D'Souza, founder of Goa SPCA, spoke about the influence of media
      towards this cause, and how even everyday bloggers and Twitter/Facebook
      users are also part of the media in the important Internet space to
      highlight various animal rights issues.
      This conference has thrown light on several loopholes in enforcement of
      animal rights; we are now encouraged to write to our Maharashtra CM,
      Prithviraj Chavan, to do something similar as promised by the neighbouring
      Goa state towards animals,'' said Mumbai based Lt Colonel J C Khanna of
      BSPCA.

      Popular actress from South, Amala Akkineni, who is the founder of Blue
      Cross Hyderabad, commented: I had rescued my first stray animal at the age
      of six; and I am happy that our Blue Cross continues helping all animals.''
      Two journalists of Times Group - Vijay
      Singh (TOI, Mumbai) and Sunil Dogra (Navbharat Times, Delhi) - received a joint
      award in media category for covering animal rights issues.

      *Other award winners were N G Jayasimha of HSI for 'advocacy and
      leadership'; Dawn Williams for 'cruelty response'; E Damodar and Raman
      Kumar for 'humane law enforcer'; Avis Lyons for 'outstanding services to
      animals'; Nilesh Bhanage of PAWS for 'volunteer relations award' and finally
      Vasanthi Kumar and WSPA for 'outreach for animals'.
      *
      The UK based activist of World Society for Protection of Animals (WSPA) Ian
      Cawsey told TOI that it is appalling to note that while various Mumbai housing
      societies kill dogs through poisoning and other means, developed countries like
      China and Korea still eat dog meat.

      Dogs are actually useful as human companions, not as dead meat or simply
      dead. For those who kill them in Mumbai and other cities thinking that it
      will preven Rabies, they are wrong. It is scientifically proven that
      sterlisation and vaccination are the best way to avoid it,'' said Cawsey.

      Media can play a cruciual role in sensitising our society to various animal
      atrocities that often go unnoticed. Korea actually started eating dogs only
      after World War-2, when there was a food shortage. They should not stop
      this practice as there are now various other healthy vegetarian food
      options,'' he added.

      When asked why there is a strong anti-animals sentiment among various
      sections and even leading countries like China, Cawsey commented:
      Ultimately, through raised awareness, people will realise what is good and
      healthy for them and our environment. WSPA is also for this cause.''