(IN) Maneka Gandhi supports BUAV campaign to end the trade in primates from Mauritius

  • Sarah Kite
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2012
      News Release

      *Maneka Gandhi supports BUAV campaign to end the trade in primates from
      Mauritius*

      The BUAV is delighted to announce the support of prominent Indian
      politician and animal and environment campaigner, Maneka Gandhi.
      Together with sending a personal letter to Mauritius Prime Minister Dr.
      The Honourable Navinchandra Ramgoolam, Maneka has signed the BUAV
      statement of concern for its campaign to raise awareness about the
      breeding and export of monkeys from Mauritius to laboratories around the
      world (1).

      *Maneka Gandhi stated: "*/I am happy to support the BUAV on this issue.
      I am deeply concerned by the plight of the monkeys in Mauritius. This
      trade inflicts great suffering on tens of thousands of primates every
      year. Mauritius is not a poor country. Its main income is from tourism.
      Its people are a gentle people and its culture is gentle. Why does it
      have to earn money from inflicting needless violence on defenceless
      creatures? I appeal to the Government of Mauritius to implement a ban on
      the breeding and export of primates."///

      The BUAV statement of concern has been signed by key religious and
      socio-cultural groups in Mauritius, including***the */Mauritius Sanatan
      Dharma Temples Federation, /Hindu House/, Federation of Arya Samaj//,
      /*ISKCON*/and Arya Sabha Mauritius,/as well as British Members of
      Parliament and celebrities, including international actor Nitin Ganatra.
      This support represents a growing awareness and concern on Mauritius and
      internationally about the suffering inflicted on the country's monkey
      population.

      Mauritius is the world's second largest exporter of long-tailed macaques
      (/Macaca fascicularis)/for the research industry, exporting up to 10,000
      animals each year. The country regularly exports monkeys to the USA and
      Europe, in particular the UK, France and Spain.

      A BUAV investigation recently uncovered the slaughter of hundreds of
      monkeys by Noveprim Ltd, a primate breeding farm in Mauritius. Graphic
      images released by the BUAV, that show discarded dead monkeys stacked in
      piles on the floor or dumped in bins and skips like garbage have been
      broadcast around the world resulting in widespread shock and revulsion.

      *Michelle Thew, Chief Executive of the BUAV*stated; "Maneka Gandhi is
      well known for her compassion for animals. /We are delighted to receive
      her support in our campaign to raise awareness about the breeding and
      export of primates in Mauritius for experimentation around the world.
      //This cruel trade has continued unchallenged for too long."/

      //

      The BUAV has launched a global petition to the Prime Minister Dr. The
      Honourable Navinchandra Ramgoolam calling for an end the trade in
      primates for
      research:http://petition.avaaz.org/en/petition/Stop_the_cruel_Mauritius_monkey_trade_4
      <http://petition.avaaz.org/en/petition/Stop_the_cruel_Mauritius_monkey_trade_4/>

      www.BUAV.org