(IN): Poachers killed Salt Lake deer: Cops

  • azam24x7
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2009
      *The Times of India, Kolkata Wednesday, July 1, 2009*
      *Poachers killed Salt Lake deer: Cops

      *Blood Spots Found Inside Animal Rescue Centre, Departmental Inquiry Ordered

      *TIMES NEWS NETWORK *

      Kolkata: The blind female deer of Salt Lake deer park that had been missing
      for the last three days, was killed by poachers.
      After their preliminary investigation , Salt Lake police said on Tuesday
      that poachers had entered the Animal Rescue Centres reserve area on Friday
      night, killed the seven-yearold deer and took its body to their hideout.
      Police and forest officials said they had noticed blood spots at several
      places in the reserve area.
      Four security guards of the centre , who had been on duty on Friday night,
      were arrested on Monday. Apparently , they were asleep when the incident
      happened on Friday night.
      On Tuesday, the forest department said that the four were not recruited by
      them, but worked for the security agency that has been assigned to guard the
      centre on a five-year contract.
      We have ordered a departmental inquiry. It is now clear to us that the deer
      was killed inside our transit facility and wild animal rescue centre in Salt
      Lake. We have formed a committee to investigate the case, said chief
      wildlife warden S B Mondal.
      On Tuesday, police interrogated Dinabandhu Bar (27), Sujit Barman (23),
      Bikas Barman (18) and Biplab Barman (21) the four accused who face charges
      under the Wildlife Protection Act, 1972. All of them hail from Basanti,
      South 24-Parganas . We received an FIR on June 27, lodged by the centres
      range officer Arobindo Roy. We have got some clues from the security guards,
      who have been guarding the centre for around five years, said Debabrata Das,
      additional superintendent of police (Salt Lake).
      The dead deer had a female sibling, both of whom were born at the centre .
      Deer are generally brought to the centre from outside for treatment. On
      Saturday morning, the range officer noticed that one of the deer was missing
      . When our officers went to the spot, they discovered the blood spots. The
      incident shocked us as there were only two deer in the centre. All of our
      staff members loved them, said P K Roy, additional principle chief
      conservator of forest (wildlife).
      Local residents were not at all happy with the parks administration. There
      were quite a few animals here in the past. Now, you would hardly find any.
      The park is full of garbage and weeds. Many constructions have sprung up.
      There was a time when it was a good place for morning walk. But not any
      more. The forest department should look into the matter , said B C Roy, a
      retired wing commander and resident of AE 388.
      ________________________________________________________________________________________________________

      http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Kolkata-/Blind-deer-missing-from-rescue-centre/articleshow/4718034.cms
      Blind
      deer missing from rescue centre 30 Jun 2009, 0353 hrs IST, TNN
      KOLKATA: A female
      deer<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Kolkata-/Blind-deer-missing-from-rescue-centre/articleshow/4718034.cms#>went
      missing from the Animal Rescue Centre in Salt Lake two days ago,
      leading to the arrest of four forest department
      security guards on Monday.

      An official of the rescue centre found the four-year-old blind deer missing
      on Sunday morning and informed the higher authorities who lodged a complaint
      with police. Investigators suspect the guards on duty that night Biplab,
      Bikash, Sujit and Dinabandhu may be linked to a racket. "They claimed they
      were sleeping on duty but we feel they are involved in the racket. We have
      arrested them for negligence," said a police officer. They were remanded in
      police custody till July 4.

      Animal lovers say that a turtle had vanished in 2002. "We informed the then
      forest<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Kolkata-/Blind-deer-missing-from-rescue-centre/articleshow/4718034.cms#>minister
      after which a cage was built for the turtles. We suspect a nexus
      even in this disappearance," said Debashish Chakroborty, an animal lover.

      --
      http://www.stopelephantpolo.com
      http://www.freewebs.com/azamsiddiqui