Roadkills and slaughterhouse waste feeding for zoo carnivores

  • Shubhobroto Ghosh
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2009
      *This is in reference to Merritt Clifton's comment on roadkills and
      slaughterhouse waste forming the primary menu of carnivores in captivity. I
      am intrigued by this. If there are 2000 captive big cats in US and the
      majority of their diet comes from roadkills, then it seems like there are an
      awful lot of animals dying in USA due to accidents(Roadkills are animals
      killed on the highways due to accidents, I presume?) I mean if similar
      numbers of humans were to die on the roads, there would be an outcry,
      wouldn't it? Regarding slaughterhouse waste for carnivores in captivity, I
      am not entirely certain for some of the meat fed to carnivores in captivity
      seems perfectly all right for human consumption. Some of the meat fed to
      carnivores in zoos is marked and dyed as being unfit for human consumption,
      but I am not sure that is solely the case. Want to know more. Also, what
      about chickens and rats fed to small carnivores and snakes and reptiles in
      zoos? Are they specifically killed for zoo animals? In Kolkata, at one point
      of time, they used to shoot injured racehorses and feed them to the lions
      and tigers in Alipore Zoo, I think now they have stopped this practice. In
      South Africa, the Born Free Foundation rescued some lions in a sanctuary
      called Shamwari. There they kill live donkeys and feed them to the lions(and
      also leopards possibly). So is that exclusi**ve slaughter of herbivores for
      captive carnivores or not? George Adamson used to kill wild herbivores and
      feed them to his lions, critics have called it a massacre. Billy Arjan Singh
      used to shoot parakeets and feed them to his leopards. Are these isolated
      cases of deliberate slaughter of herbivores/other animals for carnivores?
      What about fish food? I used to be an avid tropical fish fancier and used to
      feed my fish live food, mainly tubifex worms and sometimes daphnia and
      occasionally earthworms(I have grown out of the idea since and do not keep
      fishes any more). What are the ethics involved in this exercise for worms
      and daphnia have life too, maybe less sentient than cows or goats? And in
      aquariums, there are special bowls with small holes that ensure that these
      worms have no escape from the devouring fish and fall straight into their
      gaping mouths. Dry fish food also is non vegetarian, similar to canned dog
      and cat food. I used to work with carnivores in Jersey Zoo. I have fed
      coatimundis with dead day old chicks, an ethically disturbing act but I had
      no choice, I had to do it. Some zoos breed mice for their carnivores, Jersey
      is one of them. I have a paper cutting of ten or twelve years ago regarding
      the closing of a slaughter house in Delhi(Idgah was it?) The article said
      that Delhi Zoo was finding it difficult to feed their carnivores because the
      slaughterhouse had gone out of business. Now did that refer solely to waste
      or animals marked for specified slaughter? I think one could speculate
      either way.*
      *Now this brings me back to my original hypothesis, if humans decreased or
      stopped eating meat, where would we get slaughterhouse waste from to feed
      carnivores and will roadkills and other related casualties of herbivorous
      animals suffice for their dietary needs? This question I think is still open
      for discussion. Do let me know your thoughts.*

    • Merritt Clifton
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2009
        >If there are 2000 captive big cats in US and the majority of their
        >diet comes from roadkills, then it seems like there are an awful lot
        >of animals dying in USA due to accidents

        The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
        estimates that deer/car collisions kill about 1.5 million deer per
        year, or about 1.5 deer per 100 drivers.

        Up to 70% of these accidents occur when drivers see one deer
        and slow down, then see that deer leave the roadway and accelerate,
        just as another deer steps into the road, following the first.

        About 25% of the deer/car collisions in most states occur
        during the peak two weeks of hunting season, when the most deer are
        on the move, escaping hunters by day and trying to return to their
        home ranges at night.

        --
        Merritt Clifton
        Editor, ANIMAL PEOPLE

        Telephone: 360-579-2505
        Fax: 360-579-2575
        E-mail: anmlpepl@...
        Web: www.animalpeoplenews.org

        [ANIMAL PEOPLE is the leading independent newspaper providing
        original investigative coverage of animal protection worldwide,
        founded in 1992. Our readership of 30,000-plus includes the
        decision-makers at more than 10,000 animal protection organizations.
        We have no alignment or affiliation with any other entity. $24/year;
        for free sample, send address.]