Re: [aapn] more on how to Remain Humane at the Olympics in China

  • Herojig
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 3 5:45 AM
      Chinese boycotts, trade restrictions, and taxes have not worked in my
      lifetime, and I doubt Americans would be willing to pay more for Ipods or
      take any more taxes from their government at this juncture (with economic
      collapse looming). We need to think of new ideas.
      Jigs in Nepal

      On 8/6/08 4:24 PM, "Edwin Wiek" <edwin.wiek@...> wrote:

      > A complete boycott of China with heavy pressure on the Chinese government in
      > the form of high import taxes on their goods in Western countries is one way
      > to go. Prosecuting their leaders in international courts on human rights
      > issues and stopping them from travelling in to our countries another one. Not
      > visiting China an easy one.
      >
      > I won't buy goods from shops in my hometown that employ children, abuse their
      > staff or sell illegal stuff and so on. So why should we visit China? Buy their
      > goods? Have Olympic games (that supposed to embrace friendship and peace) in a
      > country that suppresses and kills its people?
      >
      > I was just at the China-Laos border seeing THOUSANDS of WILD ANIMALS for sale
      > in Laos to be taken to China OPENLY, no one cared, not the Laos police nor
      > Chinese customs. Big business...
      >
      > Everyone speaks about things getting better through "a dialogue", well I just
      > see the latest report on human rights in China, things have gotten worse
      > although we have been talking a long time now. The illegal wildlife trade is
      > worse then ever as people are getting richer in China and the government does
      > not care at all. South and South-east Asian countries' wildlife is being
      > stolen from their forests at an increasing rate all going to China and some
      > suggest we should visit China and "talk". By the time the majority of people
      > see that talking doesn't work it might be too late for some species of
      > wildlife.
      >
      > I don't know enough about animal welfare in China, but I can only guess...
      >
      > Edwin Wiek
      > Wildlife Friends Foundation Thailand
      > www.wfft.org <http://www.wfft.org>

      States.

      <http://www.hsus.org/hsi/wildlife/dont_buy_wild/>>http://www.hsus.org/hsi/wil

      <http://www.hsus.org/furfree/dogs_cats/dog_and_cat_victims.html>>http://www.h

      <http://www.hsus.org/furfree/dogs_cats/dog_and_cat_victims.html>><http://www.

      <http://www.hsus.org/furfree/dogs_cats/dog_and_cat_victims.html>>http://www.h

      >> ><<http://www.hsus.org/hsi/oceans/sharks/shark_finning/shark_finning_faq.html

      <http://www.hsus.org/hsi/oceans/sharks/shark_finning/shark_finning_faq.html>>

      >>> http://www.hsus.org/hsi/oceans/sharks/shark_finning/shark_finning_faq.html

      <http://www.hsus.org/hsi/oceans/sharks/shark_finning/shark_finning_faq.html>>

      >>> <http://www.hsus.org/hsi/oceans/sharks/shark_finning/shark_finning_faq.html

      <http://www.hsus.org/hsi/oceans/sharks/shark_finning/shark_finning_faq.html>>

      >>> http://www.hsus.org/hsi/oceans/sharks/shark_finning/shark_finning_faq.html
      >>>> >> >

      >>> <http://www.hsus.org/hsi/oceans/sharks/shark_finning/shark_finning_faq.html>

      <mailto:keverett%40humanesociety.org>><mailto:keverett%40humanesociety.org>ke
      >>> <mailto:keverett%40humanesociety.org>
      Humane

> [...]
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aapn/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJlamE4aWlsBF9TAzk3MzU5
      > NzE0BGdycElkAzI0Mjc2NzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgyOTQ4BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA21zZ3MEc3RpbW
      > UDMTIxODAxMjQxNg-->
      > For more information on Asian animal issues, please use the search feature on
      > the AAPN website: http://www.aapn.org/ or search the list archives at:
      > Please feel free to send any relevant news or comments to the list at
      > aapn@yahoogroups.com

      > 2NzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgyOTQ4BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQMxMjE4MDEyNDE2>
      > Change settings via the Web
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aapn/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJmdHVnbzhhBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0
      > BGdycElkAzI0Mjc2NzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgyOTQ4BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3N0bmdzBHN0aW1lAz
      > EyMTgwMTI0MTY-> (Yahoo! ID required)
      > Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest
      > <mailto:aapn-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email Delivery: Digest> | Switch
      > format to Traditional <mailto:aapn-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change
      > Delivery Format: Traditional>
      > Visit Your Group
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aapn;_ylc=X3oDMTJkbG11dG9uBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdyc
      > ElkAzI0Mjc2NzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgyOTQ4BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2hwZgRzdGltZQMxMjE4MDE
      > yNDE2> | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> |
      > Recent Activity
      > *
      > * 2
      > *
      > * New Members
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aapn/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmbDJubHJhBF9TAzk3MzU5N
      > zE0BGdycElkAzI0Mjc2NzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgyOTQ4BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1
      > lAzEyMTgwMTI0MTY->
      > Visit Your Group
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aapn;_ylc=X3oDMTJlamVoOXE3BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdyc
      > ElkAzI0Mjc2NzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgyOTQ4BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTIxODA
      > xMjQxNg-->
      > Share Photos
      > Put your favorite
      > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13orbdqsd/M=493064.12016255.12445662.8674578/D=gr
      > oups/S=1705082948:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1218019617/L=/B=ZnZtBULaX.k-/J=12180124171124
      > 24/A=4025373/R=0/SIG=12dtn7qjm/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44092/*http://small
      > business.yahoo.com/webhosting>
      >
      > photos and
      >
      > more online.
      >
      > Check out the
      > Y! Groups blog
      > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13oo67k37/M=493064.12016258.12582637.8674578/D=gr
      > oups/S=1705082948:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1218019617/L=/B=Z3ZtBULaX.k-/J=12180124171124
      > 24/A=5191952/R=0/SIG=112mhte3e/*http://www.ygroupsblog.com/blog/>
      >
      > Stay up to speed
      >
      > on all things Groups!
      >
      > Moderator Central
      > Yahoo! Groups
      > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13oe0t6jc/M=493064.12016262.12445669.8674578/D=gr
      > oups/S=1705082948:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1218019617/L=/B=aHZtBULaX.k-/J=12180124171124

    • Edwin Wiek

        On 8/6/08 11:37 AM, "Jill Robinson" <jrobinson@animalsas
        <mailto:jrobinson%40animalsasia.org> ia.org> wrote:

        > Yes I still want to go to China. I don't think people need to be
        > worried too much about consuming tiger, bear or other endangered species
        > parts - whether in TCM or restaurants. They would be paying
        > significantly more for these, having had to ask for them - or being
        > aware that this is what they are consuming. These parts are not hidden
        > for consumers to munch on in oblivion for the obvious reason that the
        > traders want to exploit these poor animals for a goodly return. Jill

        <mailto:drnandithakrishna%40gmail.com> gmail.com

        <http://www.hsus.org/hsi/wil> org/hsi/wil

        <http://www.hsus.org/hsi/wi> org/hsi/wi
        >> ldlife/dont_buy_wild/
        >> >
        >> <http://www.hsus. <http://www.hsus.org/hsi/wildlife/dont_buy_wild/>
        org/hsi/wildlife/dont_buy_wild/>>http://www.hsus.
        <http://www.hsus.org/hsi/wil> org/hsi/wil
        >> dlife/dont_buy_wild/
        >> > <http://www.hsus. <http://www.hsus.org/hsi/wildlife/dont_buy_wild/>
        org/hsi/wildlife/dont_buy_wild/>
        <http://www.hsus.org/furfree/dogs_cats/dog_and_cat_victims.html>
        org/furfree/dogs_cats/dog_and_cat_victims.html

        >> <http://www.hsus.
        <http://www.hsus.org/furfree/dogs_cats/dog_and_cat_victims.html>
        org/furfree/dogs_cats/dog_and_cat_victims.html>>http://www.h
        >> sus.org/furfree/dogs_cats/dog_and_cat_victims.html
        >> >
        >> <http://www.hsus.
        <http://www.hsus.org/furfree/dogs_cats/dog_and_cat_victims.html>
        org/furfree/dogs_cats/dog_and_cat_victims.html>><http://www.
        >> hsus.org/furfree/dogs_cats/dog_and_cat_victims.html
        >> >
        >> <http://www.hsus.
        <http://www.hsus.org/furfree/dogs_cats/dog_and_cat_victims.html>
        org/furfree/dogs_cats/dog_and_cat_victims.html>>http://www.h
        >> sus.org/furfree/dogs_cats/dog_and_cat_victims.html
        >> > <http://www.hsus.
        <http://www.hsus.org/furfree/dogs_cats/dog_and_cat_victims.html>
        org/furfree/dogs_cats/dog_and_cat_victims.html>

        ><<http://www.hsus.
        <http://www.hsus.org/hsi/oceans/sharks/shark_finning/shark_finning_faq.html>
        org/hsi/oceans/sharks/shark_finning/shark_finning_faq.html

        >> <http://www.hsus.
        <http://www.hsus.org/hsi/oceans/sharks/shark_finning/shark_finning_faq.html>
        org/hsi/oceans/sharks/shark_finning/shark_finning_faq.html>>
        >> http://www.hsus.
        <http://www.hsus.org/hsi/oceans/sharks/shark_finning/shark_finning_faq.html>
        org/hsi/oceans/sharks/shark_finning/shark_finning_faq.html

        >> <http://www.hsus.
        <http://www.hsus.org/hsi/oceans/sharks/shark_finning/shark_finning_faq.html>
        org/hsi/oceans/sharks/shark_finning/shark_finning_faq.html>>
        >> <http://www.hsus.
        <http://www.hsus.org/hsi/oceans/sharks/shark_finning/shark_finning_faq.html>
        org/hsi/oceans/sharks/shark_finning/shark_finning_faq.html

        >> <http://www.hsus.
        <http://www.hsus.org/hsi/oceans/sharks/shark_finning/shark_finning_faq.html>
        org/hsi/oceans/sharks/shark_finning/shark_finning_faq.html>>
        >> http://www.hsus.
        <http://www.hsus.org/hsi/oceans/sharks/shark_finning/shark_finning_faq.html>
        org/hsi/oceans/sharks/shark_finning/shark_finning_faq.html

        >> <http://www.hsus.
        <http://www.hsus.org/hsi/oceans/sharks/shark_finning/shark_finning_faq.html>
        org/hsi/oceans/sharks/shark_finning/shark_finning_faq.html>
        <mailto:keverett%40humanesociety.org> ety.org

        ciety.org/>>http://www.humaneso <http://www.humanesociety.org/> ciety.org/
        ciety.org/>><http://humanesociet <http://humanesociety.org/> y.org/
        ciety.org/>><http://hsihsus. <http://hsihsus.org/> org/
        >> > <http://hsihsus. <http://hsihsus.org/> org/>>hsihsus.org

      • AZAM SIDDIQUI
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 6, 2008
          An idea:

          Give birth to a character.
          Start a sound comic series like our popular SUPERMAN, TARZAN etc.
          Invest in quality, loop in the best professionals in the industry to
          give shape to the concept.
          Market it well, give a Chinese name to the character or the super hero.

          THE MISSION- ANIMAL RESCUE.

          Every issue should be able to highlight some BIG real story of
          animals/ wildlife in crisis in CHINA, ASIA or WORLD.

          Get the media to do the rest.
        • Merritt Clifton
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 6, 2008
            >A complete boycott of China with heavy pressure on the Chinese government in
            >the form of high import taxes on their goods in Western countries is one way
            >to go.

            The logic of this suggestion fails on every possible count.
            Among other points:

            # China has a 4,000-year history of self-isolation.
            Culturally & historically, China is not only accustomed to a lack of
            commerce with the rest of the world, but has preferred it.

            # The U.S. & other nations already tried boycotting China
            for decades, over human rights issues among others. This
            accomplished absolutely nothing--except that lack of contact with the
            outside world allowed much misery to continue unreported, and
            obstructed the commerce in ideas that has allowed China to move ahead
            since the boycotts ended.

            >I was just at the China-Laos border seeing THOUSANDS of WILD ANIMALS for
            >sale in Laos to be taken to China OPENLY, no one cared, not the Laos police
            >nor Chinese customs. Big business...

            Thousands? Flowing into a nation of 1.3 billion?

            Thousands isn't big business. Thousands is a small-time
            criminal traffic, which though immensely cruel to the victims and
            destructive to the wildlife ecologies of the places they come from,
            is barely on the radar screen as a trade issue, perhaps thriving
            locally through corruption, but barely visible in most of China as
            part of anyone's diet.

            Yes, some Chinese eat some wildlife, but Americans eat a
            hell of a lot more. The major difference is that the Chinese
            wildlife-eaters buy theirs at live markets; ours shoot their own.

            >I don't know enough about animal welfare in China

            Precisely. China has, in truth, the fastest-growing
            pro-animal movement in the world, as should be evident from the
            Chinese input to AAPN, & the indigenous Chinese pro-animal movement
            has made more progress against dog-eating, cat-eating, wildlife
            consumption, etc. in the past five years than outside pressure had
            accomplished in more than 50 years.

            This is no surprise to me. Prior to the outbreak of World
            War II, China ranked fifth in the world in the number of active
            humane societies it had, behind the U.S., Britain, India, and
            France. The Chinese humane community was a casualty of 15 years of
            warfare and 50 years of government consolidation of authority over
            independent grassroots organizations, but the latent love of animals
            among many Chinese people endured, as is shown now by data
            indicating that China already ranks third in the world in number of
            pet dogs per household and is also high in pet cats.

            Currently, a dog in China is about 30 times more likely to
            be a pet than to be eaten, and as Chinese prosperity continues to
            rise while the discouragements to keeping pets decline, we can only
            expect this ratio to increase in the right direction.

            --
            Merritt Clifton
            Editor, ANIMAL PEOPLE

            Telephone: 360-579-2505
            Fax: 360-579-2575
            E-mail: anmlpepl@...
            Web: www.animalpeoplenews.org

            [ANIMAL PEOPLE is the leading independent newspaper providing
            original investigative coverage of animal protection worldwide,
            founded in 1992. Our readership of 30,000-plus includes the
            decision-makers at more than 10,000 animal protection organizations.
            We have no alignment or affiliation with any other entity. $24/year;
            for free sample, send address.]
          • Herojig
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 6, 2008
              Azam, now ur talkin! As a cartoonist of odd sorts I love this idea. Have a
              character do what Meena did for hand washing and other human concerns. But I
              happen to know the amount spent on Meena...Holy Dineros Batman!

              Another idea, one that I have actually started on, is to produce a video
              game for the Wii platform. It has a working title of Zoomify. It's all about
              exploring the world's nature reserves by finding and learning about
              endangered species using a first-person shooter-style of action play. Only u
              are armed with cameras and notebooks and ur laptop instead of 50 types of
              weapons. So far I have the cover design. Oh well.

              These are the kinds of ideas that will go a longer way in the long run then
              boycotts and tax increases, and I am sure there are other great ideas too,
              just lurking below the conventional surface...
              Jigs in Nepal

              On 8/6/08 10:27 PM, "AZAM SIDDIQUI" <azam24x7@...> wrote:

              > An idea:
              >
              > Give birth to a character.
              > Start a sound comic series like our popular SUPERMAN, TARZAN etc.
              > Invest in quality, loop in the best professionals in the industry to
              > give shape to the concept.
              > Market it well, give a Chinese name to the character or the super hero.
              >
              > THE MISSION- ANIMAL RESCUE.
              >
              > Every issue should be able to highlight some BIG real story of
              > animals/ wildlife in crisis in CHINA, ASIA or WORLD.
              >
              > Get the media to do the rest.
            • AZAM SIDDIQUI
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 6, 2008
                GREAT Jigs,

                your ideas as always rock.

                We must target a large audience, keeping the concept youthful.

                Animal rights should be sold as something that would appeal to the
                masses like the gizmos, instead of promoting it by tears and emotions.

                Have video games of wars, combats fought for animal rights.

                The law would get us if we were to kill a poacher or cause economic
                sabotage, play safe- have that in a GAME instead.

                Lets get innovative.

                --
                United against elephant polo
                http://www.stopelephantpolo.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 6, 2008
                  Okami is one of the most popular games on PS/2 and the Wii, and it's all
                  about restoring the earth to it's proper beauty. See
                  http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/okami/review.html?mode=web for pics. It's
                  a beautiful game with battles, puzzles, adventure, etc.. I think it does
                  show that people can be engaged in this way. Cheers,
                  Jigs

                  On 8/6/08 11:03 PM, "AZAM SIDDIQUI" <azam24x7@...> wrote:

                  > GREAT Jigs,
                  >
                  > your ideas as always rock.
                  >
                  > We must target a large audience, keeping the concept youthful.
                  >
                  > Animal rights should be sold as something that would appeal to the
                  > masses like the gizmos, instead of promoting it by tears and emotions.
                  >
                  > Have video games of wars, combats fought for animal rights.
                  >
                  > The law would get us if we were to kill a poacher or cause economic
                  > sabotage, play safe- have that in a GAME instead.
                  >
                  > Lets get innovative.
                  >
                  > On 8/6/08, Herojig <herojig@...> wrote:
                  >> Azam, now ur talkin! As a cartoonist of odd sorts I love this idea. Have a
                  >> character do what Meena did for hand washing and other human concerns. But I
                  >> happen to know the amount spent on Meena...Holy Dineros Batman!
                  >>
                  >> Another idea, one that I have actually started on, is to produce a video
                  >> game for the Wii platform. It has a working title of Zoomify. It's all about
                  >> exploring the world's nature reserves by finding and learning about
                  >> endangered species using a first-person shooter-style of action play. Only u
                  >> are armed with cameras and notebooks and ur laptop instead of 50 types of
                  >> weapons. So far I have the cover design. Oh well.
                  >>
                  >> These are the kinds of ideas that will go a longer way in the long run then
                  >> boycotts and tax increases, and I am sure there are other great ideas too,
                  >> just lurking below the conventional surface...
                  >> Jigs in Nepal
                  >>

                  >> On 8/6/08 10:27 PM, "AZAM SIDDIQUI" <azam24x7@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> An idea:
                  >>>
                  >>> Give birth to a character.
                  >>> Start a sound comic series like our popular SUPERMAN, TARZAN etc.
                  >>> Invest in quality, loop in the best professionals in the industry to
                  >>> give shape to the concept.
                  >>> Market it well, give a Chinese name to the character or the super hero.
                  >>>
                  >>> THE MISSION- ANIMAL RESCUE.
                  >>>
                  >>> Every issue should be able to highlight some BIG real story of
                  >>> animals/ wildlife in crisis in CHINA, ASIA or WORLD.
                  >>>
                  >>> Get the media to do the rest.

                • Herojig
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 6, 2008
                    More good points on China. I am always amazed by the lack of understanding
                    of a country that has the 3rd or 4th largest GDP in the world. What are they
                    teaching folks in the west these days...or the past 3 decades? (Rhetorical,
                    no answer needed.) Cheers,
                    Jigs

                    On 8/6/08 10:33 PM, "Merritt Clifton" <anmlpepl@...> wrote:

                    >> >A complete boycott of China with heavy pressure on the Chinese government in
                    >> >the form of high import taxes on their goods in Western countries is one way
                    >> >to go.
                    >
                    > The logic of this suggestion fails on every possible count.
                    > Among other points:
                    >
                    > # China has a 4,000-year history of self-isolation.
                    > Culturally & historically, China is not only accustomed to a lack of
                    > commerce with the rest of the world, but has preferred it.
                    >
                    > # The U.S. & other nations already tried boycotting China
                    > for decades, over human rights issues among others. This
                    > accomplished absolutely nothing--except that lack of contact with the
                    > outside world allowed much misery to continue unreported, and
                    > obstructed the commerce in ideas that has allowed China to move ahead
                    > since the boycotts ended.
                    >
                    >> >I was just at the China-Laos border seeing THOUSANDS of WILD ANIMALS for
                    >> >sale in Laos to be taken to China OPENLY, no one cared, not the Laos police
                    >> >nor Chinese customs. Big business...
                    >
                    > Thousands? Flowing into a nation of 1.3 billion?
                    >
                    > Thousands isn't big business. Thousands is a small-time
                    > criminal traffic, which though immensely cruel to the victims and
                    > destructive to the wildlife ecologies of the places they come from,
                    > is barely on the radar screen as a trade issue, perhaps thriving
                    > locally through corruption, but barely visible in most of China as
                    > part of anyone's diet.
                    >
                    > Yes, some Chinese eat some wildlife, but Americans eat a
                    > hell of a lot more. The major difference is that the Chinese
                    > wildlife-eaters buy theirs at live markets; ours shoot their own.
                    >
                    >> >I don't know enough about animal welfare in China
                    >
                    > Precisely. China has, in truth, the fastest-growing
                    > pro-animal movement in the world, as should be evident from the
                    > Chinese input to AAPN, & the indigenous Chinese pro-animal movement
                    > has made more progress against dog-eating, cat-eating, wildlife
                    > consumption, etc. in the past five years than outside pressure had
                    > accomplished in more than 50 years.
                    >
                    > This is no surprise to me. Prior to the outbreak of World
                    > War II, China ranked fifth in the world in the number of active
                    > humane societies it had, behind the U.S., Britain, India, and
                    > France. The Chinese humane community was a casualty of 15 years of
                    > warfare and 50 years of government consolidation of authority over
                    > independent grassroots organizations, but the latent love of animals
                    > among many Chinese people endured, as is shown now by data
                    > indicating that China already ranks third in the world in number of
                    > pet dogs per household and is also high in pet cats.
                    >
                    > Currently, a dog in China is about 30 times more likely to
                    > be a pet than to be eaten, and as Chinese prosperity continues to
                    > rise while the discouragements to keeping pets decline, we can only
                    > expect this ratio to increase in the right direction.

                  • Eileen Weintraub
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 8, 2008
                      Edwin Wiek" <edwin.wiek@...> wrote:

                      I was just at the China-Laos border seeing THOUSANDS of WILD ANIMALS for
                      sale in Laos to be taken to China OPENLY, no one cared, not the Laos police
                      nor Chinese customs. Big business...

                      Those numbers are shocking Edwin and just has an opportunity to talk to the head of our local zoo in Seattle about your report, to continue to give a reality check on the horrid situation worldwide as we live in a bubble here. Thank you for your witness to these atrocities.
                      kind regards,
                      Eileen