Re: (IN): Assam Killing Fields Update: Dispur transfers Kaziranga DFO

  • AZAM SIDDIQUI
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30 11:29 PM
      Link: http://www.telegraphindia.com/1080501/jsp/guwahati/story_9213023.jsp

      Dispur transfers Kaziranga DFO
      A STAFF REPORTER

      Guwahati, April 30: The Assam forest department today transferred the
      divisional forest officer (DFO) of Kaziranga, Bankim Sharma, and
      formed a nine-member team to visit the rhino-bearing areas of the
      state and ascertain the reasons behind the sudden spurt in poaching.

      Sources said the nine-member team comprising top department officials
      was formed after forest minister Rockybul Hussain asked the department
      to investigate the reasons behind the rhino killings.

      "We have been asked to find out the reasons behind this renewed spurt
      in poaching. The team will visit Kaziranga, Orang and Pobitora — the
      main rhino-bearing areas of Assam," the principal chief conservator of
      forests, M.C. Malakar, said.

      Divyadhar Gogoi, who is now with the social forestry wing in
      Mangoldoi, will replace Sharma, sources said. Gogoi had earlier worked
      in Kaziranga as the assistant conservator of forest.

      Sharma, who served in Kaziranga for less than a year, was removed to
      show that Dispur would act tough against anybody erring in his duties.
      Several rhinos were killed during Sharma's tenure.

      Malakar said the team would like to know what had gone wrong with the
      steps taken earlier. "Forest guards were appointed, arms were
      provided, security was reinforced. We want to find out where have we
      gone wrong," he said.

      The team would also talk to park officials. "It does a world of good
      when senior officers come and boost our morale," a park official said.

      The team will also investigate the status of people arrested for
      poaching. Sources said many of the arrested were already out on bail.

      Officials believe a better intelligence network and tough action
      against poachers would help curb poaching.