What Is The Meaning Of This?

  • Terri Seymour
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2000
      Article Title: What Is The Meaning Of This?

      Author: Terri Seymour

      Contact Author: ter02@...

      Publishing Guidelines: May be published freely as long as article and
      resource box remain unchanged.

      Web Address: http://www.websuccesscentral.com

      Comments: Please drop me a note if you decide to use this article. Thank
      you

      Article:
      What Is The Meaning Of This?
      (c)2000 Terri Seymour

      When I first started on the internet, it was like trying to read
      another language. There were so many words and
      expressions that I did not understand. Words like webhost,
      ezine, upload, download, http, isp, dsl and so many, many
      more!! I was lost. Little by little I began to learn what these
      words and others meant. But there are always more to learn.

      So this article will be more or less a mini-dictionary to help
      explain some of these foreign words. So here we go and I
      hope this helps explain these terms to make them more
      understandable.

      # Upload-- This is when you copy a file from your computer
      and send it "up" to your host or server.

      # Download-- This is the opposite of upload. When you
      bring "down" a file or program from another computer.

      # ISP-- This stands for Internet Service Provider. A company
      that will give you access to the internet (for a monthly fee, of
      course).

      # Browser-- Program used to access pages and information
      on the World Wide Web. Examples of browsers are
      Microsoft Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator.

      #Cookies-- This is information about you such as username,
      password, address, and so on that has been stored in your
      hard drive from typing this information into a form. When
      you again visit this site or form and click, stored cookies will
      pop up and you will not have to re-type all your information.

      #Domain Name- The "address" or URL of a website.
      Example:
      http://www.websuccesscentral.com websuccesscentral is
      the domain name.

      #HTML-- HTML stands for Hypertext Markup Language. It is
      more or less the language the computer understands. When
      you build a webpage, you must use HTML coding so the
      computer understands the way you want the page to look.

      #Java-- Java is a language used in writing programs to be
      safely downloaded without virus worries. With Java programs
      such as Applets, you can do lots of neat tricks, such as
      animation.

      #Hyperlink-- Also known as links. Links are urls or other text
      that you can click on to bring you to another webpage or
      website. These links are coded in HTML.

      #Search Engine-- A search engine is like the card catalog at
      the library. When you want to find a website about a
      particular subject, type your keywords in the search box and
      the search engine will find and list related sites and pages.

      #Spam-- Spam is the junk mail of the internet. When you
      send a sales pitch or advertisement via email to someone
      without their consent, this is Spam.

      #Virus-- This is a program that latches onto other programs
      and travels from computer to computer, possibly causing lots
      of damage by destroying files and information.

      # Modem-- A modem is the part of your computer that
      enables you to get hooked up to the internet. Your phone line
      is hooked up to the modem and through your modem you can
      be connected to the internet.

      #Shareware-- Shareware is software that you can download
      and try out before buying. If you decide to keep on using the
      software, you will have to pay a registration fee.

      I hope this article has helped you understand these
      words a little better. You can find these words and many
      more at these sites:

      http://www.netlingo.com/
      http://www.computeruser.com/resources/dictionary/index.html
      http://www.pcwebopedia.com/
      http://coverage.cnet.com/Resources/Info/Glossary/
      http://www.whatis.com/

      There are so many new terms to learn that it may seem
      overwhelming, but with a little time and effort you can be
      speaking a whole new language!

      Terri Seymour is the publisher of Web Success Ezine and
      owner of Web Success Central. Terri spends a lot of time
      helping people with their online business. You can contact
      her at mailto:ter02@... Subscribe to Web
      Success Ezine and get two free gifts by sending any email to
      mailto:web-success-subscribe@egroups.com or visit Web
      Success Central at http://www.websuccesscentral.com for
      resources, information and moneymaking programs.

      Thank you,

      Terri Seymour
      Web Success Ezine
      mailto:web-success-subscribe@egroups.com