Re: [a_film_by] Re: Chabrol

  • Fred Camper
    Message 1 of 102 , Apr 27, 2004
      Dan Sallitt wrote:

      >No one batted an eye at that - is MARIE-CHANTAL really good?

      Seen only on TV, decades ago, I liked it a lot, and still remember its
      wildly playful editing. Chabrol treats the story here as near-camp, but
      if I remember it right there's a great cut to an overhead shot, as in
      from an airplane, during a car ride. The related "Le Tigre se parfume à
      la dynamite <http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0061095/>" isn't as good;
      Chabrol's attitude toward his material is indicated there by a scene in
      which he acts a cameo, hilariously overplaying his role as a fish
      surgeon by acting like a movie director.

      Marie-Chantal I would watch again on video or DVD, if anyone knows a
      source. But I doubt it's one of the greatest ones: "Le Scandale" (aka
      "The Champagne Murders"), now that's a great one.

      - Fred C.
    • David Ehrenstein
      Message 102 of 102 , Mar 26, 2006
        --- hotlove666 <hotlove666@...> wrote:

        > Chabrol came in for a rare pranging in CdC (from
        > Charles Tesson) when
        > he said on tv that Le Pen was "a good guy." They
        > were school buddies.

        WOW. That's a real shocker.

        Chabrol falls into line at last.
        No wonder they all disliked Malle so much. HE got to
        make the ultimate Dieu la Rochelle film, "le Feu
        Follet," and they didn't.

        http://mail.yahoo.com