Re: [a_film_by] ...and Fantomas

  • Tosh
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2003
      You are all lucky that you have a Louis Feuillade/Fantomas fantatic
      on this list (Yours truly). Check out the website:
      http://www.fantomas-lives.com/

      Click on films and it will give out a synopsis of the films. Read it
      first, and then watch the films. You'll have no problem following the
      action and narrative. Like Les Vampires, it's a great film!
      --
      Tosh Berman
      TamTam Books
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2003
        Thank you Tosh, that's just what I'm looking for. A fine site!

        Jaime

        --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, Tosh <tosh3@e...> wrote:
        > You are all lucky that you have a Louis Feuillade/Fantomas fantatic
        > on this list (Yours truly). Check out the website:
        > http://www.fantomas-lives.com/
        >
        > Click on films and it will give out a synopsis of the films. Read
        it
        > first, and then watch the films. You'll have no problem following
        the
        > action and narrative. Like Les Vampires, it's a great film!
        > --
        > Tosh Berman
        > TamTam Books
        > http://www.tamtambooks.com
      • Tosh
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2003
          Among other things I am a publisher and I am hoping that one day I
          can publish the Fantomas series. For the past couple of years I have
          been collecting the original first editions in English - which took
          awhile and great expense to me (although not that expensive).

          Are there any plans to release Feuillade's Fantomas on DVD in the
          U.S.? I am not sure how Les Vampires did on the market - but it's a
          remarkable DVD.

          You are very lucky to get a copy in DVD. One day I will get a
          regional free machine.
          --
          Tosh Berman
          TamTam Books
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2003
            --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, Tosh <tosh3@e...> wrote:

            > Are there any plans to release Feuillade's Fantomas on DVD in the
            > U.S.?

            Not that I know of, but "Juve contre Fantômas" is one of the Critics
            Choice entries in this week's "Chicago Reader" movie section:

            http://spacefinder.chicagoreader.com/movies/critic.html#24100

            Rosenbaum seems to be tracking Feuillade's reputation in US
            cinephilia, he's a big fan of FANTÔMAS, TIH-MINH, LES VAMPIRES and
            the director in general. But news of any DVD releases of Feuillade's
            work would circulate quickly among the sites I visit regularly.

            To me, Feuillade is accessible in a way that helps me become more
            interested in pre-1920 films, which has been a stumbling block for me
            for some time. With Assayas's IRMA VEP and the LES VAMPIRES DVD, I
            think general interest in Feuillade has enjoyed at least a small
            advance in this country.

            Jaime
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2003
              > To me, Feuillade is accessible in a way that helps me become more
              > interested in pre-1920 films, which has been a stumbling block for me
              > for some time. With Assayas's IRMA VEP and the LES VAMPIRES DVD, I
              > think general interest in Feuillade has enjoyed at least a small
              > advance in this country.

              It would be interesting to read (or write) something about the way that
              the Bazin-Cahiers aesthetic hooks up with pre-Griffith cinema.
              Feuillade is a good example of a director whose rep profited from the
              Bazinian emphasis on the continuity of the visual field - which was
              almost a necessity in some ways before Griffith's codification of
              editing syntax took hold. (Note how Feuillade never goes in for a
              closeup in FANTOMAS unless one of the characters takes a close look at
              something - he didn't feel he had the option of getting close purely for
              dramatic reasons.) Some Cahiers critics were pleased by the visual
              integrity of pre-1915 cinema - I've sometimes wondered whether Rohmer
              was thinking of the old style when he made films like L'AMI DE MON AMIE.
              In some ways Griffith's work had to be undone in order for the next
              wave of cinema to move forward from what Bazin called the "classical
              perfection" of the late thirties. - Dan
            • Tosh
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 3, 2003
                >Thanks Jamie for the link! I like Rosenbaum's commentary on 'Juve
                >contre Fantomas.'

                If anyone is interested, some years ago I wrote a brief essay on
                Feuillade's 'Juve contre Fantomas' at
                http://www.altx.com/interzones/kino2/fantomas.html

                Cheers,
                Tosh

                >Not that I know of, but "Juve contre Fantômas" is one of the Critics
                >Choice entries in this week's "Chicago Reader" movie section:
                >
                >http://spacefinder.chicagoreader.com/movies/critic.html#24100
                >
                >Rosenbaum seems to be tracking Feuillade's reputation in US
                >cinephilia, he's a big fan of FANTÔMAS, TIH-MINH, LES VAMPIRES and
                >the director in general. But news of any DVD releases of Feuillade's
                >work would circulate quickly among the sites I visit regularly.
                >
                >To me, Feuillade is accessible in a way that helps me become more
                >interested in pre-1920 films, which has been a stumbling block for me
                >for some time. With Assayas's IRMA VEP and the LES VAMPIRES DVD, I
                >think general interest in Feuillade has enjoyed at least a small
                >advance in this country.
                >
                >Jaime

                Tosh Berman
                TamTam Books