Re: [a_film_by] Hello!/FFH question

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2003
      > I first saw Far From Heaven at a film festival last Sept. in Montréal and not
      > since until a screening on DVD a few days ago. I could have sworn that the
      > Miami vacation sequence started out much campier than it does on the DVD. I seem
      > to recall a quick cut from the New Haven home to Moore and Quaid turning
      > towards the camera with big, cheesy smiles in Miami. Does anyone recall a shot
      > like this when they saw it in the theatre? Or is the DVD that I saw somehow
      > deficient? Or is it my memory that's deficient?

      Here's what I remember, from every time I've seen the film: when Quaid
      and Moore are discussing the Miami trip in their living room, Quaid
      makes a joke about the color pink, which is the only time in the film he
      cracks wise about his sexual identity dilemma. Both he and Moore laugh,
      and each of them is turned halfway toward the camera: we were looking
      over their shoulders, but they turn to each other so that they laugh in
      profile. Then, I believe, we go to Miami. But I think the early shots
      of Miami are scenery shots of the resort and/or the pool, and I don't
      think the cheesy-smile shot occurs in Miami. It sounds as if you're
      fusing the pink-joke smile with the Miami sequence that it bridges to. - Dan