Orson and Gideon Welles

  • L C
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 23, 2012
      Good
      morning,  after seeing Lincoln and preparing a review of Spielberg's
      movie, I remembered reading that Orson Welles said at one time that he was
      related to Gideon Welles Lincoln's Secretary of the Navy.  Is there a genealogy of the Orson Welles
      family? Just wondering. Thanks Luc

    • sallitt1
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 29, 2012
        Charles Higham said this connection was a fabrication, and the Wikipedia article on Welles gives the following information without citation:

        "Some of Welles's claimed familial ties have not held up under scrutiny. Despite the persistent urban legend, promoted by Welles himself, he was not the great-grandson of Abraham Lincoln's wartime Secretary of the Navy, Gideon Welles. Perhaps the genesis of the myth dates to a 1970 interview on The Dick Cavett Show during which Welles remarks about his venerable great-grandfather Gideon Welles. Orson Welles's father was Richard Head Welles, son of Richard Jones Welles; Gideon Welles had no son by that name. His sons were Hubert (1833–1862), John Arthur (1845–1883), Thomas G. (1846–1892), and Edgar Thaddeus Welles (1843–1914)."

        - Dan

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2012
          Dan, thanks. Luc.