Pierre Schoendoerffer (1928-2012).

  • Crescent9
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 15, 2012
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 16, 2012
        > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/9144269/Pierre-Schoendoerffer.html

        I just saw THE ANDERSON PLATOON for the first time - rather good.
        Some of you may know Schoendoerffer's biggest claim to auteurist fame,
        which is that Howard Hawks loved ANDERSON and proclaimed in multiple
        interviews that he was planning projects with Schoendoerffer. As I
        recall, Schoendoerffer was barely consulted on the matter, and nothing
        materialized, but Hawks certainly put him on the radar of late
        60s/early 70s film buffs. - Dan
      • Crescent9
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 16, 2012
          If this is the version narrated by Stuart Whitman then it is a re-edit of the original version that won an Award.

          Tony W.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 17, 2012
            The version that MoMA showed about a year ago didn't have English narration
            - I presume it was the original. - Dan

            On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 8:47 PM, Crescent9 <peckinpah20012000@...>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > If this is the version narrated by Stuart Whitman then it is a re-edit of
            > the original version that won an Award.
            >
            > Tony W.
            >

            > --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, Dan Sallitt <sallitt@...> wrote:
            > >

            > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/9144269/Pierre-Schoendoerffer.html
            > >
            > > I just saw THE ANDERSON PLATOON for the first time - rather good.
            > > Some of you may know Schoendoerffer's biggest claim to auteurist fame,
            > > which is that Howard Hawks loved ANDERSON and proclaimed in multiple
            > > interviews that he was planning projects with Schoendoerffer. As I
            > > recall, Schoendoerffer was barely consulted on the matter, and nothing
            > > materialized, but Hawks certainly put him on the radar of late
            > > 60s/early 70s film buffs. - Dan

          • Crescent9
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 17, 2012
              Yes, since Schoendoerffer himself did the commentary on the original.

              Tony