Re: An irresistable impulse

  • Crescent9
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 7, 2012
      Viva Italia!

      His line in HARDLY WORKING is now relevant to the GOP caucus.

      "There must be a job that can use a clown."

      Jerry. "I don't want to go into politics."

      Tony W.

      --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, Eduardo Valente <solalaranjado@...> wrote:

      > on a side note, the great Italy-based online journal La Furia Umana
      > announced today its next number will be dedicated to Jerry Lewis.
      >
      > On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Dan Sallitt <sallitt@...>wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I see. I had thought you were talking about putting audience
      > > reactions within the film itself, but you meant that Lewis uses comedy
      > > ideas that evoke silent comedy traditions. Which nobody can deny, to
      > > quote a line from RUGGLES. - Dan
      > >

      > > On 2/6/12, Crescent9 <peckinpah20012000@...> wrote:
      > > > The one thing that comes to mind is his typewriter medley in WHO'S
      > > MINDING
      > > > THE STORE? It is reprised at the opening of HARDLY WORKING. Also, his
      > > silent
      > > > executive mime in THE ERRAND BOY. Though accompanied by music, these are
      > > in
      > > > the best examples of silent pantomime.
      > > >
      > > > We must also not forget his 99% silent performance in THE BELLBOY.
      > > >
      > > > Tony

      > > does

    • thebradstevens
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 12, 2012
        > Curious to see who's still here.

        It seems that many people stopped posting here around the time they started contributing to the discussions on Dave Kehr's blog.
      • Crescent9
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
          I'm still here, Brad.

          I post the obituaries not just to remember a diverse number of people who have contributed to film but reanimate the site in the tradition of Ibsen's "When We Dead Awaken."

          Tony

          --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "thebradstevens" <bradstevens22@...> wrote:

          > > Curious to see who's still here.
          >

          > It seems that many people stopped posting here around the time they started contributing to the discussions on Dave Kehr's blog.

        • Richard Modiano
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
            Not an obituary, but Christa Fuller reminded her Facebook friends that 2012 is Sam's centenaryand posted this link: http://www.sensesofcinema.com/2009/feature-articles/samuel-fuller-tag-gallagher/.

            Richard M

            ________________________________
            I post the obituaries not just to remember a diverse number of people who have contributed to film but reanimate the site in the tradition of Ibsen's "When We Dead Awaken."

            Tony

            --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "thebradstevens" <bradstevens22@...> wrote:

            > > Curious to see who's still here.
            >

            > It seems that many people stopped posting here around the time they started contributing to the discussions on Dave Kehr's blog.

          • edelvision
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
              It has been a long time since I've read When We Dead Awaken, but isn't the key line something along the lines of, "When we dead awaken, we shall find that we have never lived"?

              On Feb 15, 2012, at 11:18 AM, Crescent9 wrote:

              > I'm still here, Brad.
              >
              > I post the obituaries not just to remember a diverse number of people who have contributed to film but reanimate the site in the tradition of Ibsen's "When We Dead Awaken."
              >
              > Tony
              >
              > --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "thebradstevens" <bradstevens22@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Curious to see who's still here.
              > >

              > > It seems that many people stopped posting here around the time they started contributing to the discussions on Dave Kehr's blog.

            • sallitt1
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
                > It seems that many people stopped posting here around the time they started contributing to the discussions on Dave Kehr's blog.

                Yeah, I really should look in on Dave's excellent blog more. Listservs are a few Internet generations ago by now: blogs are even in trouble, with Facebook/Twitter taking much of the discourse.

                I felt a little beaten up by that brief period where I was co-moderator here, so the current vast silences are rather comforting... Glad to see a few old-timers are still around. though.

                In the wake of the NYC Bresson series, I was rereading the old Praeger compilation of Bresson's essays, and I was reminded how good a writer Daniel Millar was. I started poking around for information about him: Adrian Martin learned from Charles Barr that Millar died back in the 80s. My intuition from reading a few of his essays is that he came from the same Leavis tradition that spawned Robin Wood. Does anyone know much else about him? - Dan
              • Crescent9
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
                  Until people return here, they will also find that they "never lived."

                  Tony