Re: Raoul Ruiz (1931-2011)

  • Rick S
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 25, 2011
      Boy has this presented a problem for me. It was only after he died that I opted to catch up with Ruiz's films, and having now gone through eight hours of his more acclaimed works, including "Mysteries of Lisbon", I am sorry to say this about my late fellow Latino, but frankly, I think he was vastly over-esteemed as an artist. Rarely have I encountered such ongoing lifeless facetiousness masquerading as meaningful meditation. I know he was "anti" a lot of conventions and customs in movies, but that is not the same thing as actually having something to say.

      But he sure had a one helluva life once he left Chile, but I can conclude was that his art served as his pretext for having a life.

      Sorry guys.