Blake Edwards (1922-2010)

  • Crescent9
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 16, 2010
    • Rick S
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 17, 2010
        It's odd that his early work from the 50's and 60's holds up so much better from the river of shit (Skin Deep, A Fine Mess, Sunset, Switch) that defined most of his work in the 80's and the 90's.

        --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "Crescent9" <peckinpah20012000@...> wrote:

        > http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/17/movies/17edwards.html?_r=1
        >
        > Tony W.

      • Crescent9
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 17, 2010
          He also did a lot of 50s and 60s TV, excluding PETER GUNN, not many of which have su4rvived.

          Tony W.

          --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "Rick S" <rick.segreda@...> wrote:

          > It's odd that his early work from the 50's and 60's holds up so much better from the river of shit (Skin Deep, A Fine Mess, Sunset, Switch) that defined most of his work in the 80's and the 90's.
          >

          > --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "Crescent9" <peckinpah20012000@> wrote:
          > >
          > > http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/17/movies/17edwards.html?_r=1
          > >
          > > Tony W.

        • Rick S
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 18, 2010
            I have two Peter Gunns on videotape (purchased for a buck), and just as most of Hollywood's movies, having been transferred to video, but not DVD, will be lost forever, so will many TV shows.

            But really, Blake Edwards should have quit while he was ahead after the success of Victor/Victoria, because everything he did afterwords smacked of sexual and commercial desperation.

            --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "Crescent9" <peckinpah20012000@...> wrote:

            > He also did a lot of 50s and 60s TV, excluding PETER GUNN, not many of which have su4rvived.
            >
            > Tony W.
            >
            > --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "Rick S" <rick.segreda@> wrote:
            > >
            > > It's odd that his early work from the 50's and 60's holds up so much better from the river of shit (Skin Deep, A Fine Mess, Sunset, Switch) that defined most of his work in the 80's and the 90's.
            > >

            > > --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "Crescent9" <peckinpah20012000@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/17/movies/17edwards.html?_r=1
            > > >
            > > > Tony W.

          • Crescent9
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 18, 2010
              Yes, I can't think of anything else he made afterwards that matches his previous achievements.