Brazil again

  • sallitt1
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 2010
      Do our Brazilian members care to recommend any films in this series?

      http://brazilianfilmfestival.com/ny_filmes_en.html

      Thanks. - Dan
    • Eduardo Valente
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2010
        all in all a very uninteresting list, Dan. you could find some source of
        pleasure in watching Cabe�a a Pr�mio, Love Stories Last Only 90 Minutes,
        Sunstroke or Time of Peace, but none would constitute a specific great
        screening.

        the rest, honestly, could be left for the homesick Brazilian crowd anxious
        to listen to Portuguese or see any images that would remind them of TV back
        home (specially So Normal 2, to be avoided by any means).

        though to be honest, I haven't seen neither Tamboro nor Within the River...
        but didn't hear many great things about either one.

        On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 12:01 AM, sallitt1 <sallitt@...> wrote:

        > Do our Brazilian members care to recommend any films in this series?
        >
        > http://brazilianfilmfestival.com/ny_filmes_en.html
        >
        > Thanks. - Dan

      • sallitt1
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 4, 2010
          Thanks, Eduardo. I sort of had my eye on Cabeça a Prêmio, because of the Beto Brant connection (not that I'm completely sold on him). - Dan

          --- In , Eduardo Valente <.> wrote:

          > all in all a very uninteresting list, Dan. you could find some source of
          > pleasure in watching Cabeça a Prêmio, Love Stories Last Only 90 Minutes,
          > Sunstroke or Time of Peace, but none would constitute a specific great
          > screening.
          >
          > the rest, honestly, could be left for the homesick Brazilian crowd anxious
          > to listen to Portuguese or see any images that would remind them of TV back
          > home (specially So Normal 2, to be avoided by any means).
          >
          > though to be honest, I haven't seen neither Tamboro nor Within the River...
          > but didn't hear many great things about either one.
          >
          > On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 12:01 AM, sallitt1 <.> wrote:
          >

          > > Do our Brazilian members care to recommend any films in this series?
          > >

          > > Thanks. - Dan

        • sallitt1
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 8, 2010
            Hey, there's another Brazil series in NYC, this time at MoMA. Any recommendations? I'm definitely seeing the Gomes/Ainouz film. - Dan

            http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/films/1094

            --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "sallitt1" <sallitt@...> wrote:

            > Thanks, Eduardo. I sort of had my eye on Cabeça a Prêmio, because of the Beto Brant connection (not that I'm completely sold on him). - Dan
            >
            > --- In , Eduardo Valente <.> wrote:
            > >
            > > all in all a very uninteresting list, Dan. you could find some source of
            > > pleasure in watching Cabeça a Prêmio, Love Stories Last Only 90 Minutes,
            > > Sunstroke or Time of Peace, but none would constitute a specific great
            > > screening.
            > >
            > > the rest, honestly, could be left for the homesick Brazilian crowd anxious
            > > to listen to Portuguese or see any images that would remind them of TV back
            > > home (specially So Normal 2, to be avoided by any means).
            > >
            > > though to be honest, I haven't seen neither Tamboro nor Within the River...
            > > but didn't hear many great things about either one.
            > >
            > > On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 12:01 AM, sallitt1 <.> wrote:
            > >

            > > > Do our Brazilian members care to recommend any films in this series?
            > > >

            > > > Thanks. - Dan

          • Filipe Furtado
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 8, 2010
              This one is actually rather good selection.

              The Ainouz/Gomes film is worth a look, despite the concept being flawed.

              Lands is a very interesting doc, very worth a look.

              I also like Smoke Get in Your Eyes.

              I'm no fan of director Sergio Bianchi and The Tenants do very little for me, but there's a lot of smart people who thinks it's a worthy film.

              I haven't seen it, but Dzi Croquettes has fans.

              The Famous ad the Dead is a pretty awful art film.

              --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "sallitt1" wrote:

              > Thanks, Eduardo. I sort of had my eye on Cabeça a Prêmio, because of the Beto Brant connection (not that I'm completely sold on him). - Dan
              >
              > --- In , Eduardo Valente <.> wrote:
              > >
              > > all in all a very uninteresting list, Dan. you could find some source of
              > > pleasure in watching Cabeça a Prêmio, Love Stories Last Only 90 Minutes,
              > > Sunstroke or Time of Peace, but none would constitute a specific great
              > > screening.
              > >
              > > the rest, honestly, could be left for the homesick Brazilian crowd anxious
              > > to listen to Portuguese or see any images that would remind them of TV back
              > > home (specially So Normal 2, to be avoided by any means).
              > >
              > > though to be honest, I haven't seen neither Tamboro nor Within the River...
              > > but didn't hear many great things about either one.
              > >
              > > On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 12:01 AM, sallitt1 <.> wrote:
              > >

              > > > Do our Brazilian members care to recommend any films in this series?
              > > >

              > > > Thanks. - Dan

            • Eduardo Valente
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 8, 2010
                I'd definitely vouch for Smoke Gets in Your Eyes, Lands, The Tenants
                and Dzi Croquettes (even if this one less for any cinematic reason and
                more for its very strong theme). 5XFavela is also quite interesting.

                I do share Filipe's vision of Famous and the Dead (which is
                interesting to say, since we saw it a couple of chairs away in the
                theater at the film's first screeening in Brazil), but it must be said
                the film also has a lot of fans and awards.

                On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 11:07 PM, Filipe Furtado
                <filipefurtado@...> wrote:

                > This one is actually rather good selection.
                >
                > The Ainouz/Gomes film is worth a look, despite the concept being flawed.
                >
                > Lands is a very interesting doc, very worth a look.
                >
                > I also like Smoke Get in Your Eyes.
                >
                > I'm no fan of director Sergio Bianchi and The Tenants do very little for me, but there's a lot of smart people who thinks it's a worthy film.
                >
                > I haven't seen it, but Dzi Croquettes has fans.
                >
                > The Famous ad the Dead is a pretty awful art film.
                >
                > Em 08/07/2010 20:38, sallitt1 < sallitt@... > escreveu:
                >

                > Hey, there's another Brazil series in NYC, this time at MoMA. Any recommendations? I'm definitely seeing the Gomes/Ainouz film. - Dan
                >
                > http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/films/1094
                >
                > --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "sallitt1" wrote:
                > >
                > > Thanks, Eduardo. I sort of had my eye on Cabeça a Prêmio, because of the Beto Brant connection (not that I'm completely sold on him). - Dan
                > >
                > > --- In , Eduardo Valente <.> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > all in all a very uninteresting list, Dan. you could find some source of
                > > > pleasure in watching Cabeça a Prêmio, Love Stories Last Only 90 Minutes,
                > > > Sunstroke or Time of Peace, but none would constitute a specific great
                > > > screening.
                > > >
                > > > the rest, honestly, could be left for the homesick Brazilian crowd anxious
                > > > to listen to Portuguese or see any images that would remind them of TV back
                > > > home (specially So Normal 2, to be avoided by any means).
                > > >
                > > > though to be honest, I haven't seen neither Tamboro nor Within the River...
                > > > but didn't hear many great things about either one.

              • sallitt1
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 9, 2010
                  Thanks, Filipe and Eduardo! I had my eye on the Bianchi - I'll try to check out some of your other recommendations. - Dan