Petition: Keep the Istanbul Emek Movie Palace and turn it into a film center!

  • Ekrem Serdar
    Message 1 of 2 , May 24, 2010
      Dear all,

      As you may or may not know, Istanbul is under the threat of losing the
      Emek Movie Theater, a grand old movie palace built in the early 20th
      century, ushers and all, right in the heart of the city on Istiklal Ave. The
      threat is - as it tends to be - a mall, restructuring the theater into a
      multiplex, while hilariously keeping the name. Our hope is to help turn the
      theater into a "Film Center" (though I doubt the word "film" is specific or
      strict.) I am not directly involved in the process, but I'm very much in
      support of it.

      To be brief: I'd like to ask you all to email your name, occupation and
      where you're residing to agree (at) emeksinemasiniyasatalim.org**

      To be long-winded: just the other day, a court verdict announced that the
      "renovation" of the theater be stopped due to the possibility of "damages
      that would be difficult or impossible to revert UNTIL a further review and
      expert opinion." (rough translation). So a victory, but the door is still
      open for the multiplex minded. The lawsuit was brought about thanks to the
      Istanbul Architects Bench.
      Naturally I might be wrong, but the language employed in the verdict leads
      me to believe that what is at stake is convincing those in power of the
      theaters cultural importance, thus making even as brief an act as our
      signatures important.
      And I don't think I have to convince anybody on here for the vitality an
      open space for film/video artists would provide (though I'll argue with you
      about it!). The hope is that a concise plan with what COULD (ah! that
      wonderful word!) be done with the space will help the chances of it's
      survival. The area has already been going through a major overhaul to make
      it tourist-friendly, and the last thing it needs is another mall.
      Though as said, I might be wrong.
      So if you've ever been there, ever been in Istanbul, happen to be
      like-minded, do send an email to the address above.

      For more info:

      The official site to keep the Emek Movie Palace alive:
      http://www.emeksinemasiniyasatalim.org/english.htm

      Posts on the Palace from:
      TCM's Movie Blog:
      http://moviemorlocks.com/2006/11/17/the-emek-cinema-in-istanbul/
      and another from Cinema Treasures:
      http://cinematreasures.org/theater/17977/

      finally, my apologies to those who have already seen this, and my thanks to
      those who have signed it,

      as always,

      --
      -ekrem serdar