Re: Save Film @ LACMA (was Brit Noir)

  • Blake Lucas
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4, 2009
      --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Modiano" <tharpa2002@...> wrote:

      > --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "Blake Lucas" <lukethedealer@> wrote:
      >
      > "...we non-New Yorkers are made to feel jealous, the more so because of the announcement last week that the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, in its infinite wisdom, has now, after forty years, suspended its weekend film programs..."
      >
      > We L.A. cinephiles are not taking it laying down!
      >
      > I invite all you non-Angelenos to visit the Save Film @ LACMA site http://savefilmatlacma.blogspot.com/ and sign the on-line petition here: http://www.the petitionsite.com/1/save-LACMA-film . Maybe we can make a difference.
      >
      > Richard Modiano

      Thanks, Richard--and I also encourage everyone to sign the petition.
      I didn't know about it until earlier this evening and signed immediately. No matter where you live, you will empathize with the idea of a prime source of seeing the history of cinema theatrically taken away like this(LACMA programs over the years have covered the full range--and I say that as one who has been going for 40 years, saw my first director retrospectives there, wrote program notes for them, covered their programs while writing for the LA Reader, and have so many other connections with its history...)

      Even as recently as last year, the highlight of my filmgoing year theatrically was a four film series that introduced me to the work of Edward Yang. And last week, just days before this appalling announcement, I was down there for a new print of "Bigger Than Life"
      which led off a James Mason retrospective.

      Truthfully, this place was so much a part of my filmgoing experience and indeed, my life, that I'm still reeling from the shock of this.

      Blake

    • peckinpah20012000
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5, 2009
        I've never been there but have signed the petition in solidarity from the land of BLACK ROCK where Harry Potter and Transformers fill all multiplex screens.

        Tony W.

        --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "Blake Lucas" <lukethedealer@...> wrote:

        > --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Modiano" <tharpa2002@> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "Blake Lucas" <lukethedealer@> wrote:
        > >
        > > "...we non-New Yorkers are made to feel jealous, the more so because of the announcement last week that the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, in its infinite wisdom, has now, after forty years, suspended its weekend film programs..."
        > >
        > > We L.A. cinephiles are not taking it laying down!
        > >
        > > I invite all you non-Angelenos to visit the Save Film @ LACMA site http://savefilmatlacma.blogspot.com/ and sign the on-line petition here: http://www.the petitionsite.com/1/save-LACMA-film . Maybe we can make a difference.
        > >
        > > Richard Modiano
        >
        > Thanks, Richard--and I also encourage everyone to sign the petition.
        > I didn't know about it until earlier this evening and signed immediately. No matter where you live, you will empathize with the idea of a prime source of seeing the history of cinema theatrically taken away like this(LACMA programs over the years have covered the full range--and I say that as one who has been going for 40 years, saw my first director retrospectives there, wrote program notes for them, covered their programs while writing for the LA Reader, and have so many other connections with its history...)
        >
        > Even as recently as last year, the highlight of my filmgoing year theatrically was a four film series that introduced me to the work of Edward Yang. And last week, just days before this appalling announcement, I was down there for a new print of "Bigger Than Life"
        > which led off a James Mason retrospective.
        >
        > Truthfully, this place was so much a part of my filmgoing experience and indeed, my life, that I'm still reeling from the shock of this.
        >
        > Blake

      • jess_l_amortell
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 6, 2009
          Thanks to Jed Rapfogel for his vastly encouraging report. Also, my apologies for raising - however tangentially - the specter of print quality in the first place (it was somewhat irresponsible - I basically don't feel that anyone is reading these pages these days), since the couple of examples I more or less had in mind took place some time ago, and in any case, involved rarities that probably would have been impossible to see any other way!

          --- "jedrap1" <jedrap1@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > First time actually posting here, but I wanted to provide some print-quality info about the One-Eyed Auteurs series coming up at Anthology (I'm one of the film programmers there).
          >
          > RAMROD and PITFALL are both UCLA preservations and should look fantastic. We press-screened Walsh's WORLD IN HIS ARMS and that print is gorgeous (we tend to have very good luck with Universal, which is also where the two Langs - YOU AND ME and MOONFLEET - are coming from - haven't received those prints yet, but I expect them to be in very good shape).
          >
          > And THE TALL MEN is indeed a new (or anyway, recent) print, and apparently looks great.
          >
          > Can't say for sure about the others, but TRUE STORY OF JESSE JAMES and DONOVAN'S REEF are both archival and reportedly in fine shape. And I don't expect any truly mediocre prints.
          >
          > In general, we do our best to get the best-possible prints - unfortunately we don't have the budget to import films from overseas, which limits us significantly. And aside from that, certain studios are much better than others at keeping track of (and reporting) the quality of the prints we book - it's not a rare occurrence that we book a film with assurances of decent print-quality, only to be unpleasantly surprised later on.
          >
          > Also, we are indeed trying to include a Tex Avery short, though this is proving hard to accomplish at the last minute...
          >
          > Best,
          >
          > Jed Rapfogel
        • second_aq
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 7, 2009
            Often I read the posts for general or specific information and I know I can access them at a later date and I don't re^ply because I don't have any pertinent info to add. This print problem is compounded in certain cities for example Montréal by the subtitling angle. Some retrospectives are proposed for North Amercica with english subtitles (or without subtitles in case of english language movies) and then the theatre director has to decide if his audience is going to accept this situation. Luc