Re: [a_film_by] Sarristes?

  • Bilge Ebiri
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 12, 2009

      > Anyway, nice to see a piece so even-handed that a hoary epithet like
      > "sun-starved cinephile crowd" can be applied, for once, to both sides of
      > the aisle.

      I always find it intriguing when people in and around NY (like, say, a
      writer for the NY Times) use this put-down, as if somehow NY is a place
      where people place a lot of importance on being out in the sun. I can
      understand it coming from somebody in LA perhaps, but really? Also isn't it
      funny how theater also requires sitting in the dark and yet nobody seems to
      complain about regular theatergoers being sun starved. Why? I suspect class
      may actually have something to do with it.

      -Bilge
    • edelvision
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 12, 2009
        On Jul 12, 2009, at 4:22 PM, Bilge Ebiri wrote:

        > always find it intriguing when people in and around NY (like, say, a
        > writer for the NY Times) use this put-down, as if somehow NY is a
        > place
        > where people place a lot of importance on being out in the sun. I can
        > understand it coming from somebody in LA perhaps, but really? Also
        > isn't it
        > funny how theater also requires sitting in the dark and yet nobody
        > seems to
        > complain about regular theatergoers being sun starved. Why? I
        > suspect class
        > may actually have something to do with it.

        Well, it might be because theaters have matinees only on Wednesday,
        Saturday, and Sunday and few theatergoers these days--including
        critics--go to three matinees every week. Whereas the true cinephile
        sits through movies all day many days. I don't find this much of a put-
        down (few of those people will die of skin cancer!) and I don't think
        it has anything to do with class. In the old days, cinema completists
        with no access to video took pride in spending less time in the sun
        than in darkened movie houses. I know in the '80s before I had kids I
        was in theaters for four or five hours a day and was delighted to be
        pale in the name of the art.

      • jess_l_amortell
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 12, 2009
          > I have never heard that term, "Sarristes," in all these many years --

          It just struck me that it's probably just a typo for "Sarrisites." (That term has even appeared in a_film_by.)
        • Tom Sutpen
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2009
            --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "jess_l_amortell" <monterone1@...> wrote:

            > http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/12/movies/12powe.html?_r=1
            >
            > I have never heard that term, "Sarristes," in all these many years -- at least in English and in an auteurist context. (A search turns up a usage related to a French political figure.) Or could it have been the exclusive property of the "Paulettes"?

            *****
            I haven't encountered it either; and it's entirely possible that it's something Powell heard in the course of his reporting; presuming it to have a pedigree of some duration.

            That would at least be in keeping with the article as a whole, which is really no more than the kind of consensus history one would expect from a reporter who isn't, uhh, overly acquainted with the subject at hand (a quick check reveals that the bulk of Michael Powell's reporting has been done for the Times' National Desk).

            > Anyway, nice to see a piece so even-handed that a hoary epithet like "sun-starved cinephile crowd" can be applied, for once, to both sides of the aisle.

            *****
            Hoary it is, but I wouldn't call it an epithet. To me it almost qualifies as an institutional analysis.

            Tom Sutpen