la Dietrich

  • rfkeser@ix.netcom.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2009
      A few years ago I tried to come up with a definitive answer to this DIE
      FREUDLOSE GASSE appearance when I taught a course on Marlene Dietrich’s
      career. At the moment I don’t have access to my sources, but I remember
      that almost all of them concluded that her participation in Pabst’s 1925
      film was an unfounded rumor.

      For one thing, in 1923 Dietrich had already taken featured roles in
      Dieterle’s DER MENSCH AM WEGE and Joe May’s TRAGODIE DER LIEBE, so it would
      seem counterproductive for her to take a walk-on role. A much larger
      problem is that no one has ever been able to spot her appearance,
      supposedly as a silent denizen on a Weimar breadline, in Pabsts’s film. (On
      the other hand, she apparently did do extra work in 1924 and 1925, when she
      was mostly occupied on the Berlin stage).

      Of course, as the years wore on in her unusually lengthy career, Dietrich
      herself was hardly eager to publicize that she had actually started in
      silent films. However, partly because she attained stardom in Paramount’s
      glory days, she certainly did work with an impressive lineup of auteurs.

      --Robert Keser