Ricardo Montalban (1929-2009)

  • peckinpah20012000
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009
      This Latino actor and activist for Latino causes has recently left us.

      Tony W
    • scott wannberg
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009
        yes,a major loss.he cut his teeth at mgm.he was in one of my favorite anthony mann films,border incident.scott

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009
          --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, scott wannberg <scottwannberg@...>
          wrote:

          "...he was in one of my favorite anthony mann films,border incident."

          Probably the best picture he did except for possibly the Mexican
          features he was in before coming to Hollywood.

          Richard

        • scott wannberg
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009
            yeah,i agree.of course a whole generation only know him as khan or the corinthian leather guy or fantasy island.he also was in wellman's battleground,another fine mgm feature.watch scott wilson and david clennon on utube.alas,sag seems to be sinking.scott.of course montalban did a naked gun film too.he was everywhere

            > "...he was in one of my favorite anthony mann
            > films,border incident."
            >
            > Probably the best picture he did except for possibly the
            > Mexican
            > features he was in before coming to Hollywood.
            >
            > Richard

          • Blake Lucas
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009
              --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "peckinpah20012000"
              <peckinpah20012000@...> wrote:

              > This Latino actor and activist for Latino causes has recently left us.
              >
              > Tony W

              Border Incident was understandably the first film mentioned following
              this post. An outstanding credit for Montalban.

              But it's definitely not his only one. Amidst the musicals MGM tended
              to put him, he also excelled in film noir Mystery Street (1950, John
              Sturges) for example. And he's in Ford's beautiful, still underrated
              Cheyenne Autumn in a nuanced performace as Cheyenne chief Little Wolf.

              On loanout, Montalban and Cyd Charisse (who also died last year)
              performed a mesmerizing, romantic outdoor dance in Early California
              setting of Mark of the Renegade (1951, Hugo Fregonese). The film has
              become very hard to see and that's a shame, because it's a truly
              fetching, sophisticated and artful example of matinee adventure of a
              kid that would be very hard for anyone to ever recapture.

              Blake L
            • Richard Modiano
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 6, 2009
                --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "Blake Lucas" <lukethedealer@...>
                wrote:

                "...On loanout, Montalban and Cyd Charisse (who also died last year)
                performed a mesmerizing, romantic outdoor dance in Early California
                setting of Mark of the Renegade (1951, Hugo Fregonese). The film has
                become very hard to see and that's a shame, because it's a truly
                fetching, sophisticated and artful example of matinee adventure of a
                kid that would be very hard for anyone to ever recapture."

                I'm glad you mentioned Hugo Fregonese Blake. He's a very under rated
                filmmmaker, probably because his movies are hard to see these days. I
                saw most of his pictures either on television or at Theater 80 in NYC
                in the 1970s. It would be nice if someone revived APACHE DRUMS, HARRY
                BLACK AND THE TIGER or MAN IN THE ATTIC, all interesting movies that
                stuck in my mind over the years.

                Returning to Montalban, according to the local LA Latino press he had
                a notable career as an actor in Mexican movies in the mid to
                late '40s before coming to the US. Has anyone ever seen any of these?

                Richard
              • Blake Lucas
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 6, 2009
                  --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Modiano" <tharpa2002@...>
                  wrote:

                  > --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "Blake Lucas" <lukethedealer@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > "...On loanout, Montalban and Cyd Charisse (who also died last
                  year)
                  > performed a mesmerizing, romantic outdoor dance in Early California
                  > setting of Mark of the Renegade (1951, Hugo Fregonese). The film
                  has
                  > become very hard to see and that's a shame, because it's a truly
                  > fetching, sophisticated and artful example of matinee adventure of
                  > kid that would be very hard for anyone to ever recapture."
                  >
                  > I'm glad you mentioned Hugo Fregonese Blake. He's a very under
                  rated
                  > filmmmaker, probably because his movies are hard to see these days.

                  Yes, he's underrated and hopefully will get the critical attention he
                  deserves one of these days. I know I've mentioned him here before,
                  and I know Dan Sallitt has and maybe others as well. I've had one
                  occasion to praise him in print, as regards his direction of the
                  ending of SADDLE TRAMP in my piece "Saloon Girls and Ranchers'
                  Daughters." I mean to write more on him given the opportunity.

                  A new 'Scope print of HARRY BLACK AND THE TIGER was shown two years
                  ago at an adventure series at the American Cinematheque. Since you
                  have a good memory of this movie, Richard, I'm sorry you didn't make
                  it to that screening, as this is a superb work and IMO one of his
                  very best. The movie is in fact a love story and meditation on
                  adventure and courage. Though highly dramatic, it is done with great
                  delicacy and has a wonderfully muted ending (lots of good endings in
                  his films). The able Stewart Granger and Barbara Rush beautifully
                  carry the leads.

                  I'm with you on APACHE DRUMS as well, less sure of MAN IN THE ATTIC.
                  BLOWING WILD is another beautiful film, along with MARK OF THE
                  RENEGADE mentioned above (which did get a screening at Cinecon here
                  and that's how I was very luckily able to see it again more recently
                  in a new print--Montalban had been scheduled to come but I guess he
                  had to cancel). But I believe most people will agree that his
                  masterpiece is the Civil War movie THE RAID (1954), based on a true
                  story. Although a relatively modest production, it has as mature,
                  clear-eyed and unsentimental view of war as I've seen. Death and
                  destruction have real weight here, and the film doesn't need to
                  villify any side to get this over. The well-drawn characters have
                  nuance and are all part of the fabric of the whole as well as being
                  individually compelling. The beautiful photography is by Lucien
                  Ballard no less. I highly recommend this to anyone who gets the Fox
                  channel, where they show it occasionally. And PLEASE NOTE: Although
                  a CinemaScope logo has been slapped on behind the Fox logo, the film
                  was not in CinemaScope and is not being shown pan and scanned.

                  It's too bad Ricardo Montalban is now associated with Fantasy Island
                  and things like that more than his better movies. He showed his
                  range given the opportunity to do so. It's important to remember
                  that actors go where the roles are, and that's what they should do.
                  It is a profession.

                  Blake L

                  > saw most of his pictures either on television or at Theater 80 in
                  NYC
                  > in the 1970s. It would be nice if someone revived APACHE DRUMS,
                  HARRY
                  > BLACK AND THE TIGER or MAN IN THE ATTIC, all interesting movies
                  that
                  > stuck in my mind over the years.
                  >
                  > Returning to Montalban, according to the local LA Latino press he
                  had
                  > a notable career as an actor in Mexican movies in the mid to
                  > late '40s before coming to the US. Has anyone ever seen any of
                  these?

                  > Richard

                • scott wannberg
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 6, 2009
                    the raid had lots of good people in it.lee marvin and richard boone among em.was gilbert roland a heavy in mark of the renegade?would have to look it up.if so both gilbert and ricardo would be cheyenne leaders in cheyenne autumn.

> [...]
                    > to remember
                    > that actors go where the roles are, and that's what
                    > they should do.
                    > It is a profession.
                    >
                    > Blake L
                    >
                    > > saw most of his pictures either on television or at
                    > Theater 80 in
                    > NYC
                    > > in the 1970s. It would be nice if someone revived
                    > APACHE DRUMS,
                    > HARRY
                    > > BLACK AND THE TIGER or MAN IN THE ATTIC, all
                    > interesting movies
                    > that
                    > > stuck in my mind over the years.
                    > >
                    > > Returning to Montalban, according to the local LA
                    > Latino press he
                    > had
                    > > a notable career as an actor in Mexican movies in the
                    > mid to
                    > > late '40s before coming to the US. Has anyone ever

                  • scott wannberg
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 6, 2009
                      years later he was in the money trap with glenn ford,joseph cotten and rita hayworth,as well.scott

                      > > This Latino actor and activist for Latino causes has
                      > recently left us.
                      > >
                      > > Tony W
                      > >

                      > Border Incident was understandably the first film mentioned
                      > following
                      > this post. An outstanding credit for Montalban.
                      >
                      > But it's definitely not his only one. Amidst the
                      > musicals MGM tended
                      > to put him, he also excelled in film noir Mystery Street
                      > (1950, John
                      > Sturges) for example. And he's in Ford's
                      > beautiful, still underrated
                      > Cheyenne Autumn in a nuanced performace as Cheyenne chief
                      > Little Wolf.
                      >
                      > On loanout, Montalban and Cyd Charisse (who also died last
                      > year)
                      > performed a mesmerizing, romantic outdoor dance in Early
                      > California
                      > setting of Mark of the Renegade (1951, Hugo Fregonese).
                      > The film has
                      > become very hard to see and that's a shame, because
                      > it's a truly
                      > fetching, sophisticated and artful example of matinee
                      > adventure of a
                      > kid that would be very hard for anyone to ever recapture.
                      >
                      > Blake L
                    • peckinpah20012000
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 6, 2009
                        wrote:
                        uck in my mind over the years.

                        > Returning to Montalban, according to the local LA Latino press he had
                        > a notable career as an actor in Mexican movies in the mid to
                        > late '40s before coming to the US. Has anyone ever seen any of these?
                        >
                        > Richard

                        Many years ago, I saw him in A LIFE IN THE BALANCE (1955) that also
                        co-starred Lee Marvin as a killer who may have kidnapped his son but
                        who ended up as a sympathetic character. Anne Bancroft also appeared
                        as Montalban's wife. I think this film was shot in Mexico and was
                        co-directed by Harry Horner and a Hispanic director and derived from a
                        story written by Georges Simenon. The film was in black and white and
                        has a predominantly Mexican cast. Montalban played the father
                        struggling to make ends meet.

                        It was shown in the old Rialto Cinema in Swansea (UK) that has now
                        been demolished.

                        I also saw RM in the Italian production THE SON OF THE SHIEK but he
                        was no Valentino.

                        Yes, he does deserve to be remembered for works other than FANTASY ISLAND.

                        Tony W
                      • scott wannberg
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 6, 2009
                          i met harry horner a few times in my bookstore years.he directed the man from del rio with anthony quinn,katy jurado,peter whitney and whit bissell as breezy.harry seemed very nice.never met whit bissell.that would of been fun.working at martindale's and then duttons gave me a chance to meet all kinds.patrick mcgoohan was a good guy.

                          > > Returning to Montalban, according to the local LA
                          > Latino press he had
                          > > a notable career as an actor in Mexican movies in the
                          > mid to
                          > > late '40s before coming to the US. Has anyone ever
                          > seen any of these?
                          > >
                          > > Richard
                          >
                          > Many years ago, I saw him in A LIFE IN THE BALANCE (1955)
                          > that also
                          > co-starred Lee Marvin as a killer who may have kidnapped
                          > his son but
                          > who ended up as a sympathetic character. Anne Bancroft also
                          > appeared
                          > as Montalban's wife. I think this film was shot in
                          > Mexico and was
                          > co-directed by Harry Horner and a Hispanic director and
                          > derived from a
                          > story written by Georges Simenon. The film was in black and
                          > white and
                          > has a predominantly Mexican cast. Montalban played the
                          > father
                          > struggling to make ends meet.
                          >
                          > It was shown in the old Rialto Cinema in Swansea (UK) that
                          > has now
                          > been demolished.
                          >
                          > I also saw RM in the Italian production THE SON OF THE
                          > SHIEK but he
                          > was no Valentino.
                          >
                          > Yes, he does deserve to be remembered for works other than
                          > FANTASY ISLAND.
                          >
                          > Tony W
                        • tourneur.pere
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 7, 2009
                            Re: Fregonese:

                            Cinematheque Francaise showed a number of his films in a series (I
                            won't say that it was a complete retrospective), in early 2004. . . .
                            Check my memory, please, at CF's website: It might've been late 2003.

                            Peter Pullman

                            wrote:

                            > --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "Blake Lucas" <lukethedealer@>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > "...On loanout, Montalban and Cyd Charisse (who also died last year)
                            > performed a mesmerizing, romantic outdoor dance in Early California
                            > setting of Mark of the Renegade (1951, Hugo Fregonese). The film has
                            > become very hard to see and that's a shame, because it's a truly
                            > fetching, sophisticated and artful example of matinee adventure of a
                            > kid that would be very hard for anyone to ever recapture."
                            >
                            > I'm glad you mentioned Hugo Fregonese Blake. He's a very under rated
                            > filmmmaker, probably because his movies are hard to see these days. I
                            > saw most of his pictures either on television or at Theater 80 in NYC
                            > in the 1970s. It would be nice if someone revived APACHE DRUMS, HARRY
                            > BLACK AND THE TIGER or MAN IN THE ATTIC, all interesting movies that
                            > stuck in my mind over the years.
                            >
                            > Returning to Montalban, according to the local LA Latino press he had
                            > a notable career as an actor in Mexican movies in the mid to
                            > late '40s before coming to the US. Has anyone ever seen any of these?
                            >
                            > Richard

                          • Richard Modiano
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 7, 2009
                              wrote:

                              "...I'm with you on APACHE DRUMS as well, less sure of MAN IN THE ATTIC.
                              BLOWING WILD is another beautiful film...But I believe most people will
                              agree that his masterpiece is the Civil War movie THE RAID (1954)..."

                              I cited MAN IN THE ATTIC becuase it's interesting to compare with John
                              Brahm's THE LODGER. If memory serves it has a few exteriors from the
                              1944 version as well as more or less the same screenplay and musical
                              score. Fergonese's direction does not pale in comparison with
                              Brahm's,and I thought he brought his own sensibility to the material
                              although the picture was clearly an assignemnt quickly executed.

                              I've only seen THE RAID on commercial television, but even there it
                              looked really good and had a dramtic momentum that survived the
                              inteeruptions. Your praise makes me want to see it again under better
                              circumstances.

                              Richard

                              PS I really regret not seeing HARRY BLACK AND THE TIGER at the
                              Cinematheque.