Donald E. Westlake

  • Rick
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2009
      Novelist, screenwriter, who died yesterday. Associated with some quite
      interesting films, including Made in the U.S.A.,Point Blank, The
      Stepfather, and The Grifters.
    • jeandodge67
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 24, 2009
        --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <rick.segreda@...> wrote:

        > Novelist, screenwriter, who died yesterday. Associated with some quite
        > interesting films, including Made in the U.S.A.,Point Blank, The
        > Stepfather, and The Grifters.

        Aka Richard Stark... he will be missed. Don't forget his novels which were adapted to the
        screen, including THE OUTFIT, BANK SHOT and THE HOT ROCK, three guilty pleasures if one
        likes caper movies populated by losers and misfits.

        The cast of THE OUTFIT is reason alone to hunt it down - Robert Duvall, Robert Ryan and
        Timothy Carey along with Joe Don Baker, Richard Jaeckel, and Elsiha Cook jr - not to mention
        Anita O'Day in a cameo appearance a herself - can you imagine the bar tab in the hotel
        where the cast stayed while they shot this? It's actually a fairly tight film with a good sense
        of grit and hopelessness. Director John Flynn is best known for the Paul Schrader-penned
        ROLLING THUNDER but THE OUTFIT can stand alongside that one, for what that is worth.
      • scott wannberg
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 24, 2009
          a major loss.i wrote him a couple of letters and he promptly repllied using a typewriter.remember them?i talked about various film versions of the stark novels,especially the gibson remake of point blank and he quoted james m.cain.cain,when asked about the tendency to mess up his books on film said oh my books are fine they're right there on the shelf.
          john flynn was a regular at dutton's.very nice man.he directed luke askew in rolling thunder.i just mailed luke some poems today.he will be back on big love next week.
          timothy carey and roy jenson were in the outfit
          westlake's dortmunder novels made you smile and his stark novels were dark and he also wrote a few under the name tucker coe.
          scott wannberg

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 25, 2009
            Luke Askew is a great guy. I had the pleasure of getting acquainted with him on a film I
            was working on and he was a constant delight, both when the cameras were rolling and
            when they were not.

            You are right about Westolake's books being "on the shelf" but its too bad they arent on
            MORE shelves!

            tell me more about this Tucker Coe non de guerre.... intrigued.

            Point Bank is clearly a "ghost story'" and so the Gibson remake probably misses the point.
            In the Boorman film, Walker never kills anyone - he just appears and intimidates, etc and
            people die on their own hook. Great film -Lee Marvin, what else do you have to say? Carol
            O'Conner, i guess you can say that. ha.

            --- In a_film_by@yahoogroups.com, scott wannberg <scottwannberg@...> wrote:

            > a major loss.i wrote him a couple of letters and he promptly repllied using a
            typewriter.remember them?i talked about various film versions of the stark
            novels,especially the gibson remake of point blank and he quoted james m.cain.cain,when
            asked about the tendency to mess up his books on film said oh my books are fine they're
            right there on the shelf.
            > john flynn was a regular at dutton's.very nice man.he directed luke askew in rolling
            thunder.i just mailed luke some poems today.he will be back on big love next week.
            > timothy carey and roy jenson were in the outfit
            > westlake's dortmunder novels made you smile and his stark novels were dark and he
            also wrote a few under the name tucker coe.
            > scott wannberg

          • scott wannberg
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 25, 2009
              the tucker coe books had a character parker knew in one of his books.i think one was damsel in distress.i read 3 of them.dunno if he wrote any more.luke and mills watson and i went drinking one night years ago in l.a.he walked me to my door.all 3 of us are now in oregon.just mailed him some of my poems yesterday.he lives in lake oswego,near portland.he'll be on big love this week again.he starred in a canadian little seen film,slipstream.a nice guy.scott